Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Gary
    • By MSE Gary 24th Sep 19, 10:13 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    MSE Gary
    Waiters/restaurant workers (especially in chains) - tell us, who gets the tips?
    • 24th Sep 19, 10:13 AM
    Waiters/restaurant workers (especially in chains) - tell us, who gets the tips? 24th Sep 19 at 10:13 AM
    Carluccio's has said it gives cash tips to waiting staff, but card tips are split between all staff, including managers, based on hours worked. So we want to know how it works elsewhere, so that customers who choose to tip, can understand where it goes

Please tip us off (and let us know which chain you work at).
    Last edited by MSE Gary; 24-09-2019 at 6:28 PM.
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 4
    • AndyTails
    • By AndyTails 1st Oct 19, 3:45 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    AndyTails
    I used to be management in a specific restaurant chain in the UK. Not front of house management, but general company management.

When I started there, I had never worked in hospitality before as a member of management so I had no idea about how electronic card tips worked, but knew about cash tips as I had been a waitress when I was younger. I knew the waiting staff in our restaurant used to prefer cash tips (I think most in hospitality do) and didn't think anything of it at the time.

Very shortly after starting with the company, it came to my attention that the customers were complaining of a "10% service charge" that was automatically added to the bill. There was mention of it in small print (at the time) on the menu and it was at the bottom of the receipt so very easy to miss. Turns out, this was an "electronic card tip" that the customer most of the time didn't notice (as most would also leave a cash tip on leaving the restaurant). I asked one of the waiting staff about this and they had been told NOT to tell customers about the service charge (including reminding them that it was optional and had already been added onto their bill) and who it went too, and only to answer questions when asked - bit strange I thought. They also were NOT allowed to tell customers, if asked, that the service charge goes to topping up management salaries and not just the restaurant team - again, very strange - even though on the menu it said the "10% discretionary service charge is distributed amongst the team".

A couple of months and some payslips later, I soon realised I wasn't being paid correctly. I discussed this with my manager. I had had some pay issues as I was a new employee, so again, didn't think much of it at the time. Turns out, my salary was being topped up by this service charge and I was being under-paid as I wasn't being paid enough of the service charge. To clarify, I was being paid minimum wage for my age per hour, and then it was topped up with this service charge to make it up to my agreed monthly salary in my contract. This would probably explain WHY the floor staff were not allowed to make the customers aware of the service charge on their receipt.
    Originally posted by squirrel_123
    This sounds like awful practice squirrel! Would you be prepared to name and shame?
    • CadoretRoze
    • By CadoretRoze 1st Oct 19, 8:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CadoretRoze
    I worked in Scotland for 2 different Albert Roux restaurant and the tips were shared among all staff each month on the payslip.
    There was a "point" system, the higher position, the better share.
    If you were personnaly given a tip you had to give it back to the manager to be counted at the end of the day.

I guess if given out of the premises they couldn't claim it as one comment points but then the premises were very big due to countryside location!

Chefs are usually paid more than waiting staff( e.g job ads) and that is why tips are in some places only given to waiting staff .

Some owners take a share (how much, it doesn't say) of the declared tips in the UK ,because of the work involved- in collecting, storing and sharing them- is the explanation given.

In my current restaurant tips are paid to everybody 3 months later, 4 times a year, and the amount so far is between £50-100 each 3 months + NI paid on top of it.
    It is not much but always appreciated.
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 2nd Oct 19, 10:34 AM
    • 820 Posts
    • 1,645 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    16 hours a week is barely 2 days work and your just taking orders and carrying plates of food which requires no skills and almost anymore can do. So I think minimum wage is a fair pay for this kind of job.

I think tipping is an outdated concept and waiting staff should be expected to do a good job as default because that is what they are being paid to do. If they don't do a good job then disciplinary action should be taken.
    Originally posted by Takmon

I have to say I - I agree with this.

How many customers in the restaurant are also on minimum wage in a shop, factory, call center or wherever - and they don't get tips for doing their job, and yet they are expected to tip the restaurant staff.
    • sazaccount
    • By sazaccount 2nd Oct 19, 8:56 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    sazaccount
    I HATE the whole tipping culture, I currently live in Canada where it is expected (like in the US) not just on the level service however the MW here is standard it maybe sightly less for bar, servers however this is by $1 or 2 not like in the US where a servers wage maybe $2.50.

I think it just frustrates me more that tax is also not included so at the end of the meal with tax and tip your looking at $4-5 extra from the menu and if you have alcohol there is an extra tax on top!

BUT I also work in an ice hockey area as a second job and they actively discourage tipping for the "quick service" the fast food and snack concessions but then pay and encourage tipping for the bar people even though on some events we maybe serving the same beers and wines!

I make less on my day job than I do on my serving job!
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada
    • username901
    • By username901 2nd Oct 19, 9:48 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    username901
    I despise all forms of tipping. When us contractors have the threat of ir35 despite doing it by the book yet people doing the exact job they're employed to do expect tips, all while avoiding tax which over the course of a year could be hundreds of pounds.

If I got a bonus from a client for just performing my contracted duties HMRC would tear me to shreds and tax the hell out of me for being treated like an employee.
    • keith969
    • By keith969 3rd Oct 19, 5:30 PM
    • 1,557 Posts
    • 1,125 Thanks
    keith969
    In Japan tipping is considered extremely rude. I wish it was here too.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 3rd Oct 19, 5:40 PM
    • 3,044 Posts
    • 4,240 Thanks
    Kim kim
    This sounds like awful practice squirrel! Would you be prepared to name and shame?
    Originally posted by AndyTails
    Why is it bad practice?

The employer is putting on a service charge & using it towards the wages.

What it should be, instead of a service charge, just a comprehensive price to include service and all other overheads and then staff get paid (whatever is the fair rate for their skills) and tax & NI is like all other employees paid on all earnings.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Oct 19, 6:41 PM
    • 24,437 Posts
    • 65,725 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Originally posted by keith969
    Just don't tip then.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 3rd Oct 19, 7:43 PM
    • 27,210 Posts
    • 71,414 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I despise all forms of tipping. When us contractors have the threat of ir35 despite doing it by the book yet people doing the exact job they're employed to do expect tips, all while avoiding tax which over the course of a year could be hundreds of pounds.

If I got a bonus from a client for just performing my contracted duties HMRC would tear me to shreds and tax the hell out of me for being treated like an employee.
    Originally posted by username901

We toured Scandinavia in the summer. It was refreshing not to have anyone hanging around around for a tip.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • sazaccount
    • By sazaccount 3rd Oct 19, 8:09 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    sazaccount
    Originally posted by keith969
    No however of you are in a Bar/restaurant in the evening most have a 200 - 700 Yen Table charge or Otoshi
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada
    • frugal2
    • By frugal2 3rd Oct 19, 10:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    frugal2
    No I think I should get the tips the customer is giving me for looking after them and giving very good service.I pay national insurance on my wages
    • rawhammered
    • By rawhammered 3rd Oct 19, 10:25 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    rawhammered
    The customer should get tipped by the waiting staff for the privilege of their employment. No customers, no job....
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 3rd Oct 19, 10:31 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    Why is it bad practice?

The employer is putting on a service charge & using it towards the wages.

What it should be, instead of a service charge, just a comprehensive price to include service and all other overheads and then staff get paid (whatever is the fair rate for their skills) and tax & NI is like all other employees paid on all earnings.
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    Because then the employer is making part of the staff's wage dependent on how many customers come through the door. That should be illegal and the advertised wage should be BEFORE any tips or gratuities.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.

Pedant point: There is no such word or construction as "I's", the word to use is "my".
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 4th Oct 19, 7:18 AM
    • 3,044 Posts
    • 4,240 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Because then the employer is making part of the staff's wage dependent on how many customers come through the door. That should be illegal and the advertised wage should be BEFORE any tips or gratuities.
    Originally posted by tempus_fugit
    No they weren’t. No where does it say that the person getting the wage wouldn’t get their contracted wage, just that the firm used this money to put towards it.

That’s what a service charge should be, but it should be built in the basic meal cost.

So we pay for food and overheads in one price and the restaurant owner uses the money to pay for food and ALL overheads. Like most people who are selling something do.
    Last edited by Kim kim; 04-10-2019 at 7:22 AM.
    • CarbonImage
    • By CarbonImage 9th Oct 19, 4:59 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    CarbonImage
    My OH used to work in a chain where you would be responsible for your own float for the evening.

Every bill paid would go into a bag on your belt. This would be totalled up by the manager at the end of the night, and 3% of the value of it would be taken out of your wages to pay for 'training' (You could choose to cover it in cash there and then if you had the cash on you). It was expected that you would be able to make up the difference from tips, however she used to come home in tears when she would have large groups who hadn't tipped, as it would have cost her money to work that night.

This chain would also take the value of any table that didn't pay their bill out of your wages, as it was 'the server's duty to ensure the customer was satisfied enough to pay'.

This was two years ago, so they may not do this any more, but I don't understand how they ever got away with it.
    Mortgage
    [Jun 2017: £164,995] [Jun 2018: £161,238.46][Jun 2019: £155,465.32]
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Oct 19, 7:01 AM
    • 24,437 Posts
    • 65,725 Thanks
    Pollycat
    My OH used to work in a chain where you would be responsible for your own float for the evening.

Every bill paid would go into a bag on your belt. This would be totalled up by the manager at the end of the night, and 3% of the value of it would be taken out of your wages to pay for 'training' (You could choose to cover it in cash there and then if you had the cash on you). It was expected that you would be able to make up the difference from tips, however she used to come home in tears when she would have large groups who hadn't tipped, as it would have cost her money to work that night.

This chain would also take the value of any table that didn't pay their bill out of your wages, as it was 'the server's duty to ensure the customer was satisfied enough to pay'.

This was two years ago, so they may not do this any more, but I don't understand how they ever got away with it.
    Originally posted by CarbonImage
    This is shocking!
    I'd be interested to know which chain it was.
    They need 'naming and shaming'.
    • onwards&upwards
    • By onwards&upwards 10th Oct 19, 8:37 AM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    onwards&upwards
    This is shocking!
    I'd be interested to know which chain it was.
    They need 'naming and shaming'.
    Originally posted by Pollycat

Wow, yeah definite telly name them! Thatís criminal, or it should be.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 10th Oct 19, 6:55 PM
    • 3,044 Posts
    • 4,240 Thanks
    Kim kim
    No I think I should get the tips the customer is giving me for looking after them and giving very good service.I pay national insurance on my wages
    Originally posted by frugal2
    Most people pay tax on all their income.
    Not a portion of it & the rest tax free. Itís tax evasion.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 10th Oct 19, 6:57 PM
    • 3,044 Posts
    • 4,240 Thanks
    Kim kim

Originally posted by CarbonImage
    Now that does sound very unfair.
    However not making tips wouldnít have meant she had to pay to work, she did have wages too.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 11th Oct 19, 9:27 AM
    • 3,253 Posts
    • 16,403 Thanks
    NBLondon
    I worked as a Waitress at Bill's for just over a year. The service charge is automatically added to the bill. The waiting staff do not receive a penny of this "service charge", (that's automatically added and usually paid by card), for the service they have provided. Waiting staff only get to keep cash tips. None of the waiting staff know where it goes. There were some kind customers who asked if we got the tip, and when I said "No", they asked if I could take the "automatic service charge" off the bill, and left it for me in cash. I have since left and gone to a resturant that don't automatically add the service charge on and it's made a huge difference.
    Originally posted by YelloJello
    The one time I ate in Bills - I did exactly that. Because the server was excellent - but the food was mediocre and not as ordered.

I have to agree with Kim Kim and others - there should be one clear price to include the food, the preparation and the delivery. Then it's up to the customer to offer more if they feel they have received a better than expected service - and ideally you should be able to direct it to either or both of kitchen staff and front of house staff as appropriate. But that would require an element of admin (and honesty) from the management.

I've been in the US recently (where tipping is more prevalent) and a couple of times I explicitly asked this of the server (where one person had done all the tasks) and got the answer "Yes - it does come to me but thank you for asking as many places it doesn't..."
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,770Posts Today

7,459Users online

Martin's Twitter