Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shamsan
    • By Shamsan 3rd Sep 16, 8:07 PM
    • 154Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Shamsan
    Zoom Telecom advice please
    • 3rd Sep 16, 8:07 PM
    Zoom Telecom advice please 3rd Sep 16 at 8:07 PM
    A company called Zoom Telecom has started taking money from the bank account of my very elderly mother in law. We believe this was a company that called her about 6 weeks ago, but of course although she knew she had been called, she could remember nothing about the conversation.

She is on the TPS, the call came from a blocked number (the first thing I and my brother in law told her to try), there has been no direct debit mandate paperwork, no contact, no receipt, nothing. (One thing she is good at is not throwing away paperwork, and we have been round several times since the call.) And the phone numbers given on the firm's website both cut off shortly after a message about being recorded.

Can anyone tell me anything about this firm or advise what we can do to get these payments stopped? She already has a good phone/internet contract with the company that the rest of the family uses, which facilitates calls between us. Unfortunately we cannot get hold of them either at this time on a Saturday.

Thanks for any advice.
Page 2
    • Saddwd
    • By Saddwd 2nd Aug 17, 4:26 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Saddwd
    Zoom Telecom - absolute rogues!
    My 93 year old mum was harassed, being bombarded with phone calls from this company until she submitted and gave them her bank details. I was furious! And so much for a 30 day cooling off period. Direct debit set up within a couple of weeks and 21.21 removed from her account. She's not even sure what she's signed up to - thinks it might be TPS. When she realised what she'd done she was embarrassed and angry that she'd been duped. She had several sleepless nights, worrying that her bank account might have been cleared out, before confessing what she'd done.

The good news is that I went straight to her bank, Barclays, and as a third party signatory was able to speak to the bank who were excellent. Not only did they cancel the direct debit, they have also blocked the company and retrieved the 21.21.

That said, I remain dissatisfied that Zoom Telecom continues to be allowed to operate in this way.
    • Bagilltlad
    • By Bagilltlad 19th Aug 17, 2:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bagilltlad
    Zoom Telecom
    This is exactly what happened to me although they purported to be the TPS with whom I am registered. They said they were updating the database. I questioned why they required my card details and they said it was to check that my account was the one paying the telephone bill. Last week they took 21.21 out. I immediately called the bank fraud line who reimbursed me by the end of the working day and (hopefully) stopped the DD.
    • Steve44
    • By Steve44 5th Jul 18, 12:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Steve44
    Guaranteed Telecom
    I have recently had an issue with Guaranteed Telecom who I believe (from what I've read elsewhere) are linked to Zoom Telecom.
    They cold called my ageing mother (in her 80s) and gave her the impression they were from BT (can't be sure as I wasn't there, but my mom thought that the call was from BT) and told her that they would block nuisance calls for a one-off fee so managed to get her bank account details off her.
    She told me about it afterwards but I couldn't do anything at the time because we didn't have any details of who the caller actually was, so I've been monitoring her bank account ever since (I have her permission).
    Its only a couple of weeks later that she received an official Direct Debit set-up confirmation letter off Guaranteed Telecom that I had any real information as to who we were dealing with.
    Immediately I phoned them and told them to cancel anything that my mum had unknowingly agreed to (my mum was with me at the time) and cancel the DD and any payments.
    They argued that they would just take 21 for a lifetime subscription to their call blocking service and I gave them a piece of my mind saying that they should not be targeting old people in this manner and that as she was already registered with the TPS they should never have been calling her in the first place. They didn't have much argument for this and agreed to cancel the payment and DD.
    I've also cancelled the DD setup with my mum's bank just in case but I'll keep monitoring.
    Sounds very much like the Zoom company under a different name.
    • GC131
    • By GC131 20th Jul 18, 11:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GC131
    My husband received a telephone call from Guaranteed Telecom saying they would stop nuisance calls for free. He gave them our bank details. Today 20/07/2018 he received a letter from them saying they have set up a direct debit instruction with our bank. There is no indication what this is for and what amount. We have instructed our bank not to set this up. I believe this company is targeting pensioners. We are already registered with the Telephone Preference Service.
    • cosmicg
    • By cosmicg 13th Aug 18, 5:13 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cosmicg
    My father-in-law passed away last month and we are just getting to grips with his finances. He had a direct debit set up in the name of Guaranteed Telecom and was charged 21.99 last month. I don't know whether that was a one-off payment or had run for many months, but will try and find out. Pretty sure he was registered with the TPS.
    • honey27
    • By honey27 20th Aug 18, 10:46 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    honey27
    me too!
    Just checked my mothers account online (I have poa) and found two DDs to 'Guaranteed Telecom' with the references 'ZOOM'.
    My mother did get a call from them a few months back and said she was not interested and she cannot see to give bank details I have phoned her bank and they are looking to reinstate the money, after contacting the company. When I asked their adviser how can DDs be made with no authorisation the adviser said there had been authorisation but indicated a loophole.
    Who can do something about this! They are targeting elderly vulnerable people and the bank can't do anything about it SO WHO CAN?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 20th Aug 18, 12:22 PM
    • 13,653 Posts
    • 6,286 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Contact your MP .
    • sjwr
    • By sjwr 13th Sep 18, 5:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sjwr
    still scamming
    My 80 year old mum is unwell after this company scammed her. She believed it was BT. Recently receiving letters from a different company claiming she has switched to them and BT have cancelled her line. Do they act as a broker as well
    • gjd0496
    • By gjd0496 10th Oct 18, 9:51 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    gjd0496
    Zoom = Guaranteed Telecom
    My uncle, who passed away recently, has been paying a company called Guaranteed Telecom 21.99 a month for what looks like about a year, although I have yet to get to the bottom of this I'm sure its a complete scam. He has no broadband, pays BT for his telephone line and calls and I can find no paperwork relating to this in his flat, although he was very good at keeping records.

I tried calling the company which is supposed to be in Hatton Garden London but get a pre-recorded messages that says hold the line and then goes quiet. The voice is Asian, most likely Indian, and I suspect the calls are going elsewhere, it may even be a premium rate call to extort even more money.

I intend to report this to the Fraud Squad.

I see from the forum its been going on for 2 years or so and was with a company called Zoom but I think they may be one and the same.

Be warned!
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Oct 18, 10:16 AM
    • 5,054 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    My uncle, who passed away recently, has been paying a company called Guaranteed Telecom 21.99 a month for what looks like about a year, although I have yet to get to the bottom of this I'm sure its a complete scam. He has no broadband, pays BT for his telephone line and calls and I can find no paperwork relating to this in his flat, although he was very good at keeping records.

I tried calling the company which is supposed to be in Hatton Garden London but get a pre-recorded messages that says hold the line and then goes quiet. The voice is Asian, most likely Indian, and I suspect the calls are going elsewhere, it may even be a premium rate call to extort even more money.

I intend to report this to the Fraud Squad.

I see from the forum its been going on for 2 years or so and was with a company called Zoom but I think they may be one and the same.

Be warned!
    Originally posted by gjd0496
    They are one and the same:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09959606 (now dissolved but there's dozens of them)

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08962266
    • gjd0496
    • By gjd0496 10th Oct 18, 11:35 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    gjd0496
    Thanks for the additional information, very helpful.

I have now reported this through Action Fraud and hope it helps. I have also closed the bank account so they won't get any more money!

But I just wish this sort of thing could be stopped, there must be more we can do to halt the progress of this wicked crime which targets the old and vulnerable people in our society.
    • carolyn4210
    • By carolyn4210 21st Jan 19, 4:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    carolyn4210
    My mother has also received a telephone call from Guaranteed Telecom in December saying they would stop nuisance calls and I believe she gave them her bank details over the phone (she has dementia) as when I checked her account I notice amount coming out from Guaranteed Telecom which I didn't recognise and when I did further investigation found out who they were! . I have instructed her bank to cancel this . I intend to report them to ofcom as I'm appalled by these low life extracting money from a 80 year old women with Dementia!!!! When I read the posts above I can't believe they are still getting away with it!!!!
    • Barbkinn
    • By Barbkinn 29th Aug 19, 3:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Barbkinn
    Zoom/Guaranteed telecom
    I've had a similar problem with my elderly parents. Direct debits of 19.99 to Guaranteed Telecom appeared in their bank statements, although they had no memory of signing up for anything. We cancelled the DD and the bank refunded the money but they are now getting bills. Apparently my mother signed up for 2 years and it costs 588 to terminate the contract. She has not accessed the broadband that she's 'signed up' for and has no idea that she signed a verbal contract.
    • Barbkinn
    • By Barbkinn 31st Aug 19, 7:27 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Barbkinn
    Zoom/Guaranteed telecom
    I've reported them to Ofcom, who were great. They said they would be able to do more if more people reported Zoom/Guaranteed Telecom to them.

The latest is that we were all set up to move to a different provider and Zoom prevented the connection. That is a second offence that Ofcom were very interested in.
    • Kirstye
    • By Kirstye 26th Sep 19, 9:13 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kirstye
    My elderly grandfather had a recorded letter from zoom telecoms with an overdue payment demand of 89 (he doesn’t do direct debits nor will he ever give bank details over the phone). When I spoke to them after going thru the sales line I was told he had verbally consented to switching in June and supply was transferred in July. He received no paperwork to inform of the switch until the demand. He rang and spoke to BT who assured him he was still with them. Zoom said he can’t be paying two line rentals and they have a list of all his calls he’s made, I asked them to suspend his line permanently so he can’t receive calls to see if they held the line we wouldn’t be able to contact him which we still can. They said he’s tied into a 24 month contract. Do I just call zoom and ask to speak to the complaints department and tell them we are not paying, and that he has line rental with current supplier. I too have asked for a recording of the conversation which I was told would take a week? I am going to complain to ofcom as they seem to pray on the elderly. Please help.
    • kittycatty
    • By kittycatty 28th Oct 19, 5:55 PM
    • 2,958 Posts
    • 88,779 Thanks
    kittycatty
    Another Zoom Telecom scam story. My mother in law received a bill for nearly 70 from these cowboys. I called them up to discover they were billing her for a basically non exsisting phone line and broadband.
    We had agreed to switch according to them in a call back in June, her line did go funny in July and her current provider Sky did a transfer back as her daughter have POA, sky sent through all the requests but Zoom never received them, yeah ok shock. So she has a new number with sky and Zoom are charging for the old line.
    The paperwork received last week was the first ever she had received, Sky couldn't tell Zoom were the other company and she suffers with confusion and can barely remember what she had this morning, let alone who she spoke with back in June.
    So today they called me back and played the recording of their call to my mother in law. They started the call asking for her by name and then went on to say they were able to get her line rental lower for her etc etc not once did he state he was calling from Zoom (and she is registered with TPS).
    I listened and I struggled to hear and understand what he was saying, he spoke like Usain bolt runs, fast. later in the call he said zoom telecoms twice but you could hear her replying and could hear the level of confusion in her voice. They way they do it is they get our elderly relatives to repeat that name and that they are happy with what they have been told today. They don't mention that they are agreeing to switch service providers but mentioned BT a could of times.
    Already made a compliant to Ofcom and updated then today. Really shocked how this company seem to be targeting a certain class/age of people, Ie those that are slightly in the twighlight years and those with dementia and similar problems. My mother in law has had a series of falls, mild strokes and other medical problems which have left her very confused at times. Is there anything else we can do to stop Zoom Telecom? She is afraid and worried about answering the phone in case it is them again.
    Think it's about time the comping fairy remembered where I am! lol

• JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 28th Oct 19, 6:25 PM
    • 13,653 Posts
    • 6,286 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Block the phone numbers .
    BT8600 or similiar phone with a whitelist of those that you want to get through .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

375Posts Today

4,239Users online

Martin's Twitter