Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 26th Oct 05, 5:41 PM
    • 8,116Posts
    • 42,310Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion
    • 26th Oct 05, 5:41 PM
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion 26th Oct 05 at 5:41 PM
    UPDATE 17 MAY 10

Due to the disruption on this thread, and the drain on resources, this thread has been closed.

A new thread has been started here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=32896445#post32896445

PLEASE, if the discussion can't be kept friendly, the new thread will be locked permanently.

This is a special area for the discussion of Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus). Unfortunately, it has become the topic for heated debate in the past and detracted from the main gas & electricity discussions. Therefore I would like to keep in restricted to just this discussion.

However due to past experiences some strict rules

i. All Telecom Plus Distributers must declare it when they post
    ii. All workers or those related to other utility companies must declare it
    iii. There are to be no abusive comments, accusations of fraud.
    iv. Anyone breaking the above rules will be barred first of all from this board, and if they persist from the Chat Forums

I hate having to be so draconian, yet this problem has lasted for more than a year. So it is time to sort it out.

My basic view on Utility Warehouse is contained within this article

For general, non-UW, discussions on gas & electricity click here

And Please I know there are two very polemic views on Utility Warehouse going to be expressed in this thread. Please do not libel anyone. Treat those with opposing arguments with respect, even though you disagree and please try and avoid personal remarks. I live in hope!
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 17-05-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 5
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 27th Jul 06, 10:26 AM
    • 25,786 Posts
    • 13,965 Thanks
    lisyloo
    But, have a look at your agreement. On the right hand side, just above the direct debit instruction is a little section "Service introduced by."
    I don't think I still have that.
    But nevertheless for the sake of 1.78 I don't want to be running around making lots of phone calls to different parties.
    I can see upsides to the distributor model but also downsides too.
    For customer service I want to have a one-stop shop and not go round the houses (which can sometimes may things more complicated).
    It would be nice to think that distributors have some influence but I am a little cycnical as to how much influence they have over preventing billing errors.

From my point of view initially it was worth putting up with limited opening hours and the membership fee etc. for cheap prices, but now the prices are not so cheap I don't want to put up with the extra hassle.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 27th Jul 06, 11:42 AM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 1,458 Thanks
    NigeWick
    It would be nice to think that distributors have some influence but I am a little cycnical as to how much influence they have over preventing billing errors
    by lisyloo
    No Distributor can prevent billing errors or other stuff, but, once notified, they can usually get the customer sorted to their satisfaction.

I readily accept that chopping and changing may save a bit of cash, but, T+ have had independent compliments for service. Obviously, there will still be one or two who experience a challenge. We all have to go with what we think is best for ourselves as individuals.

Nigel.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 27th Jul 06, 11:57 AM
    • 25,786 Posts
    • 13,965 Thanks
    lisyloo
    No Distributor can prevent billing errors or other stuff, but, once notified, they can usually get the customer sorted to their satisfaction.
    But so can customer services.
    So why would I want to wait until the distributor gets home from his/her day job, or worse back from holiday?
    Surely it's just easier to phone customer services who are there all the time (within opening hours).
    So I don't understand the advantage to getting them involved.

Obviously, there will still be one or two who experience a challenge. We all have to go with what we think is best for ourselves as individuals.
    I agree with you but from the collective body of opinion, it would appear that it's more than the odd "one or two".
    It would appear to me that customer service levels are below that of other companies so that is why Martin himself recommends it for "ardent" money savers only.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 28th Jul 06, 4:34 PM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 1,458 Thanks
    NigeWick
    Surely it's just easier to phone customer services who are there all the time (within opening hours).
    So I don't understand the advantage to getting them involved
    by lisyloo
    I'd term it "insurance." Customer Services should be able to give satisfaction. But, sometimes they get it wrong. Contacting the Distributor can sometimes get things resolved when there is a hiccup.

For telephone services, the Daily Mail showed 78% of T+ customers being very satisfied which was the second highest rate, the top being 81%. The same people deal with all services, so the rate should be the same across the board. Personally, I don't think having 22% of customers not "very satisfied" is acceptable. But, it is a better staring point than most.

Nigel.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • bendtoy
    If i recall corectly the survey in question was taken from a small sample of people .

You try your best to defend T-Plus but you seem to be fighting a lost cause regarding their worsening CS.

Are you the only distributor left Nigel .
    Surprised some more havent supported you on this CS issue.
  • paulc
    so what do i do
    being a bit new to this thing i was approached by a UW distributor who wants me to sign up. i use 18866 for my phone and my gas and elec are with edf capped 2008. tiscali broadband and orange mobile. will i benifit from UW ? CAN ANYONE HELP.
    • Mike by the Sea
    • By Mike by the Sea 30th Jul 06, 12:22 AM
    • 800 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Mike by the Sea
    Hi paulc

The best answer to that is to ask the UW distributor if you will benefit. Ask them to go through your bills with you and identify which, if any, you might save on, then you can then decide. Looking at your list, it looks like you have shopped around a bit already as there look to be some good ones in there.

I do have an interest in UW, as you can see from my sig.

At the end of the day, UW do have some USP's (unique selling points), but if you are happy to shop around for the best deals for each element, there will be a provider for each that will be the cheapest.

I hope that helps

Mike
    Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill
  • bendtoy
    being a bit new to this thing i was approached by a UW distributor who wants me to sign up. i use 18866 for my phone and my gas and elec are with edf capped 2008. tiscali broadband and orange mobile. will i benifit from UW ? CAN ANYONE HELP.
    by paulc
    Welcome to MSE none of Telecom plus services are that competitive.

As Mike a T-Plus Distributor honestly says.

"At the end of the day, UW do have some USP's (unique selling points), but if you are happy to shop around for the best deals for each element, there will be a provider for each that will be the cheapest."

So if you are interested in money saving as i guess you are why not follow MSE advice.

Landlines.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1095003038,99872,

Broadband.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1092034925,22928,

Mobiles.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1122310650,23242,

Gas and Electric.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1103281560,22751,

PS. www.1899.com are now cheaper then 18866 for UK Calls.
    Last edited by bendtoy; 30-07-2006 at 1:26 AM.
  • foreveryoung
    I too am a customer, for me its made life easier. I am a very busy mum with 3 young kids with needs, I have 5 services from them which has made my paper work easier, and as a customer it does not cost me to call customer services, the bills are clear and itemised and in 1 phone call I can ask about any of these services, its never taken me more than 3 mins to be answered, and they dont charge 35.00 if your DD doesnt get paid and are willing to try and help if you have problems paying, so for me its been less stressful being with UW and thats why I will stay.
  • bendtoy
    I too am a customer, for me its made life easier. I am a very busy mum with 3 young kids with needs, I have 5 services from them which has made my paper work easier, and as a customer it does not cost me to call customer services, the bills are clear and itemised and in 1 phone call I can ask about any of these services, its never taken me more than 3 mins to be answered, and they dont charge 35.00 if your DD doesnt get paid and are willing to try and help if you have problems paying, so for me its been less stressful being with UW and thats why I will stay.
    by foreveryoung
    I appreciate why you stay with them because you like their usp,s. But this site is about Money Saving is it not,and despite what some of their enthusiastic distributors would have you believe,f you shop around you can do much better.You must have been lucky with their CS.

Since when have calls to their Customer Service been free. On my last bills i was always charged for ringing them,or are you on their expensive 24/7 exclusive call package.
    • paul2468
    • By paul2468 31st Jul 06, 7:37 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    paul2468
    The Utility Warehouse
    Had a lady knocking on the door saying that they can under cut everyone for gas elec and phone....never heard of them...anyone know if they are any good...?
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 31st Jul 06, 7:41 PM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 1,458 Thanks
    NigeWick
    Are you the only distributor left Nigel .
    by bendtoy
    Probably the only one who dares to come back here

I just do my best to be impartial. I know the company and I get it wrong sometimes, but, I'm not afraid to apologise. I'm an MLM failure because I have not got gazillions of customers and a huge "team." But, I can't quit because they keep paying me

Nigel.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 31st Jul 06, 7:46 PM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 1,458 Thanks
    NigeWick
    or are you on their expensive 24/7 exclusive call package.
    by bendtoy
    'Appen that'd be the answer. I'm on it too because I do a lot of phoning. I signed myself up as a customer, so get commission on my bills

Nigel.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 31st Jul 06, 8:00 PM
    • 35,934 Posts
    • 42,085 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Sticky: Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=106377&highlight=utility+warehou se
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bendtoy
    Had a lady knocking on the door saying that they can under cut everyone for gas elec and phone....never heard of them...anyone know if they are any good...?
    by paul2468
    She would be telling you Porkie Pies then.
  • missterryshopper
    There is no such thing as a good time to be doorstepped by a sales person; it is inconvenient, intrusive and can be threatening to vulnerable individuals. Why should people have to put up with this intrusion into their homes. T-Plus must be getting desperate.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 2nd Aug 06, 10:00 AM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 1,458 Thanks
    NigeWick
    There is no such thing as a good time to be doorstepped by a sales person; it is inconvenient, intrusive and can be threatening to vulnerable individuals. Why should people have to put up with this intrusion into their homes. T-Plus must be getting desperate.
    by missterryshopper
    I agree. I agree. I agree. It's the Distributor, not UWDC (T+).

Nigel (UWDC Distributor)
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 2nd Aug 06, 10:04 AM
    • 25,786 Posts
    • 13,965 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I agree. I agree. I agree. It's the Distributor, not UWDC
    So you would agree then that there are disadvantages to the ditributor model (as well as potential advanatages)

:-))
  • JohalaReewi
    Maybe this thread should be closed and merged with the official UW sticky?
    • jhp
    • By jhp 3rd Aug 06, 1:01 PM
    • 2,248 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    jhp
    Unlike the major players T-Plus are not members of EnergySure

EnergySure is an initiative which seeks to promote best practice in energy selling. Developed by the Electricity Association (EA), the national trade association representing the interests of electricity generation, transmission, distribution and supply companies in the UK; the scheme grants official, nationally accepted recognition and accreditation to energy sales agents - both electricity and gas.

http://www.energysure.org.uk/about_esure.html

My understanding is that T-Plus Distributors Energy training is very basic.

Perhaps you should reprt them for misselling to Energywatch and ofcom.
    Last edited by jhp; 03-08-2006 at 1:05 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

3,290Users online

Martin's Twitter