Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 26th Oct 05, 5:41 PM
    • 8,116Posts
    • 42,310Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion
    • 26th Oct 05, 5:41 PM
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion 26th Oct 05 at 5:41 PM
    UPDATE 17 MAY 10

Due to the disruption on this thread, and the drain on resources, this thread has been closed.

A new thread has been started here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=32896445#post32896445

PLEASE, if the discussion can't be kept friendly, the new thread will be locked permanently.

This is a special area for the discussion of Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus). Unfortunately, it has become the topic for heated debate in the past and detracted from the main gas & electricity discussions. Therefore I would like to keep in restricted to just this discussion.

However due to past experiences some strict rules

i. All Telecom Plus Distributers must declare it when they post
    ii. All workers or those related to other utility companies must declare it
    iii. There are to be no abusive comments, accusations of fraud.
    iv. Anyone breaking the above rules will be barred first of all from this board, and if they persist from the Chat Forums

I hate having to be so draconian, yet this problem has lasted for more than a year. So it is time to sort it out.

My basic view on Utility Warehouse is contained within this article

For general, non-UW, discussions on gas & electricity click here

And Please I know there are two very polemic views on Utility Warehouse going to be expressed in this thread. Please do not libel anyone. Treat those with opposing arguments with respect, even though you disagree and please try and avoid personal remarks. I live in hope!
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 17-05-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 4
    • gibby
    • By gibby 13th Jun 06, 10:53 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    gibby
    Im not a T+ agent but I have alot of friends who are.

the original idea was good but as the market has got so competitive over the last few years they have lost thedge they had on price.

I did use the service for 6 months and I was embarressed at having to leave
    especailly as I joined through a friend and that the admin was so bad they were sending debt letters for money i didnt owe.

Since talk talk have launched their latest deal it blows they phone service for t+ and similar firms totally out of the water.

Luckily I didnt move my energy services over to T+ as I was going to do and Ebico has proved to be much cheaper thank scottish power

sadly the T+ agents cant do much if you have a problem with your service but they are nice ppl.

G
    never take advice from broke or unsuccessful people

Jim Rohn
  • Steve_PS
    Just did a search on energyhelpline.com; Moving from Utility Warehouse to EBICo will save me 24% according to them so I've moved.
    Steve
  • pandaonmyshoulder
    U warehouse
    I am in the throws of switching gas & elec to Ebico from UW as UW are pants! There cash offer after you've been with 'em for 12mths isn't worth waiting around for as what they fail to tell you is they take tax off it!!!!!! The service is rubbish and I can only wait and see what they are like switching from??????? Sadly we are tied in with hubby's mobile and the home phone we are staying with at the mo' as the mother in law is on it so free calls to her at least, but the clock is ticking and the phone service will be for the chop asap

Recently found out my brother in law is an agent for UW, well that says it all!:rolleyes:
    Panda on My Shoulder

If you can make it cheaper do so. If it's not reduced, in Primark, off ebay or free I can't have it
  • mobilegossip
    I am in the throws of switching gas & elec to Ebico from UW as UW are pants! There cash offer after you've been with 'em for 12mths isn't worth waiting around for as what they fail to tell you is they take tax off it!!!!!! The service is rubbish and I can only wait and see what they are like switching from??????? Sadly we are tied in with hubby's mobile and the home phone we are staying with at the mo' as the mother in law is on it so free calls to her at least, but the clock is ticking and the phone service will be for the chop asap

Recently found out my brother in law is an agent for UW, well that says it all!:rolleyes:
    by pandaonmyshoulder
    If you moved your phone service to Primus Saver. You could phone everybody for free at E&W not just your M in L.

See : http://www.planet-talk.co.uk/SaverProducts.aspx?source=saver

This would cost you £5 a month on T-Plus. So theirs a saving of £60 a year.
    Last edited by mobilegossip; 15-06-2006 at 11:29 PM.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 17th Jun 06, 3:36 PM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    NigeWick
    The service is rubbish
    by pandaonmyshoulder
    What problem did you have?

Nigel.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • sikejsudjek
    Be aware that if you switch with arrears UW take the whole lot from you in one go by direct debit. If it wasn't for having to save up for a couple of months to pay off my gas arrears, I'd have been off by now.

Their prices are poor, service poor, and no real reason to be with them other than to line the pockets of one of their agents...
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 16th Jul 06, 3:04 PM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    NigeWick
    Be aware that if you switch with arrears UW take the whole lot from you in one go by direct debit.

Their prices are poor, service poor, and no real reason to be with them other than to line the pockets of one of their agents...
    by sikejsudjek
    Which other companies will let one switch when owing money?

Prices may not be THE cheapest, but they guarantee to beat British Gas. How have you had poor service? Did you contact the Distributor who signed you up?

Nigel.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • bendtoy
    Which other companies will let one switch when owing money?

Prices may not be THE cheapest, but they guarantee to beat British Gas. How have you had poor service? Did you contact the Distributor who signed you up?

Nigel.
    by NigeWick
    Only guarantee to beat BG on a Gas Bill.Most suppliers will also beat BG gas prices.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 19th Jul 06, 7:28 PM
    • 25,795 Posts
    • 13,969 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I have just noticed something in the very small print on the price list for May 2006.

Those who don't have their GAS pipelines from transco have to pay an extra £2 on their standing charges e.g. new homes often use a company called Independent pipeline.

Telecom plus only introduced this extra charge in May 2006.

Note that this charge may not show up on comparison services.
    Last edited by lisyloo; 20-07-2006 at 10:20 AM.
  • utilitybroker
    I have just noticed something in the very small print on the price list for May 2006.

Those who don't have their GAS pipelines from transco have to pay an extra £2 on their standing charges e.g. new homes often use a company called Independent pipeline.

Telecom plus only introduced this extra charge in May 2006.

Note that this charge may not show up on comparison services.
    by lisyloo
    Well spotted.
  • Maniv
    I must agree with the comments about the service that is provided by UW. Upon deciding to switch supplier, I had the following problems:

• The notification of an arrears charge amounting to £200 which I had skilfully been made unaware of by their sales agent, who had misled me into signing up for a fixed budget plan. UW response was that I should have scrutinised the back of every bill, despite the front page only showing the invoice amount minus the arrears charge. I must add that the attitude of their staff dealing with complaints was one of utmost arrogance. They accuse you of making errors despite it being obvious that they are occurring from their end and stop short of accusing you of lying.
    • After agreeing to a new payment plan to settle the arrears amount and despite adhering to it, I was
    - twice sent threatening letters from a debt collection agency without any kind of forewarning. Upon contacting UW I was told to ‘ignore’ them.
    - had a cheque sent for a payment ’misplaced’ and subsequently sent an email warning
    - had my card details entered incorrectly which led to a failed payment and another accusatory email with no attempt made to verify whether the error had been made from their end. Was told that I “must follow up such transactions by verifying with the bank to ensure that in fact that it has been executed”.
    - had the FULL arrears amount withdrawn from my bank account despite adherence to the payment plan without permission (expect your card details to be retained , if you complain they will confidently direct you to the small print). This was refunded, after the stress of dealing with their inept customer service department.
    - The latest instalment in this saga is an invoice for £68 received today for electricity used prior to my change of supplier (switched supply in December 2005). Apparently this is due to a closing reading given to them by Powergen that was above the reading they had based their bill on. Powergen however claim that I am due a credit from UW as they have taken over the supply from December 2005.

The whole experience with UW has been highly time consuming, stressful and debilitating. UW are miles in front in terms of providing the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Clearly there is an absence of customer service training right from the top down to the bottom – their focus lies solely in extracting the maximum amount of money within the boundries of thier small print stipulations by any method necessary. UW are by far the worst company out of the very many I have ever dealt with.
  • bendtoy
    They are to Customer Service what the Titantic was to Winter Cruises.!!!
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 23rd Jul 06, 6:30 PM
    • 25,795 Posts
    • 13,969 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I have recently had a bad experience with their customer services.
    I changed my electricity supply from them in December due to them not being comptetive anymore.
    I took a reading a day early (I think I was away from home on the day).

My new electricity company have accepted my reading.

Telecom Plus/ Utility warehouse, keep adding on an extra day because the reading was done one day out.
    Now I don't care what number they use but both parties MUST agree to use the same reading otherwise I end up paying twice.

I asked TPlus to refund me which they did, only to find the next month they had added on the charge again, so I have again asked them to refund.

It's only a samll amount, but I don't want to be overcharged.
    Their hours of openieng are a little restricitve, this was something I was prepared to put up with when their prices were cheap, but recently they are no so competitve.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 24th Jul 06, 3:14 PM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    NigeWick
    Their hours of openieng are a little restricitve
    by lisyloo
    Have you tried contacting the Distributor who signed you up? I tell my customers to let me know if they don't get satisfaction from customer services. Distributors can sometimes get quicker results after a problem has been identified.

Nigel.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • bendtoy
    Have you tried contacting the Distributor who signed you up? I tell my customers to let me know if they don't get satisfaction from customer services. Distributors can sometimes get quicker results after a problem has been identified.

Nigel.
    by NigeWick
    Why should they have to do that? Surely the whole point of Customer Services is that they are their to give help and advice .
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 25th Jul 06, 2:50 PM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    NigeWick
    Why should they have to do that? Surely the whole point of Customer Services is that they are their to give help and advice .
    by bendtoy
    But, as with any company's service, mistakes can be made. Contacting their Distributor gives a second bite at the cherry to the customer. As a Distributor, I want to keep getting paid for my customers. I am therefore anxious that they be kept happy. All reasonable people will accept that any large company may have the occasional hiccup. And, as long as they get satisfaction at the end of the day will remain loyal.

The way I see it, good customer service means looking after people even if they want to shift their allegiance. All business involves some sort of relationship between provider and customer. Far better to have a good relationship, as that may be "the difference" when prices are close.

Nigel.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 26th Jul 06, 9:59 AM
    • 25,795 Posts
    • 13,969 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Have you tried contacting the Distributor who signed you up?
    Hi Nigel,

I signed up several years ago via a website.
    I never spoke to anyone in person.
    How would I now find out who my distributor is?

BTW - I am switching away as Utility warehouse are now not the cheapest after 2 rises so far this years (and an extra increase for those with independent pipelines).

But I would still be interested in how I find out how I would find out who my distributor is.
    Last edited by lisyloo; 26-07-2006 at 10:16 AM.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 26th Jul 06, 4:18 PM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    NigeWick
    I signed up several years ago via a website.
    I never spoke to anyone in person.
    How would I now find out who my distributor is?
    by lisyloo
    I doubt you have got one then and expect the company takes extra profit that would normally be paid to a Distributor. But, have a look at your agreement. On the right hand side, just above the direct debit instruction is a little section "Service introduced by." That is where the surname and ID number will be. If there is one there, you can phone customer services and ask them to get the Distributor to contact you.

Nigel.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • bendtoy
    The way I see it, good customer service means looking after people even if they want to shift their allegiance. All business involves some sort of relationship between provider and customer. Far better to have a good relationship, as that may be "the difference" when prices are close.

Nigel.
    by NigeWick
    Yes of course good customer service should apply across the board whatever the stage the customer is at in the cycle.But it should be lead by the Company from the top down.T-Plus dont seem to have grasped this simple concept yet.
  • burford
    I signed up with them through a distributor who was door knocking.They gave me all the usual old cost saving flannel,so i thought i would give them a go.
    I then discovered things were not as good as the distributor painted,and had no end of trouble with their bordering on the incompetent customer services department,who need a good kick up the ?

I didnt bother to contact distributor i just wanted out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,546Posts Today

8,708Users online

Martin's Twitter