Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    MissKitty
    MPGS - What's it Like??
    • 10th Jan 12, 9:28 PM
    MPGS - What's it Like?? 10th Jan 12 at 9:28 PM
    Hi all

Someone in my family is just about to leave the army after 24 years service and is thinking about joining the Military Provist Guard Service (MPGS).

I was wondering if there is any ex soldiers out there that are currently in the MPGS that could pass on a bit of advice.

The starting pay is only 18,237.48 so quiet a drop from SNCO levels.
    How quick is it to get through the ranks and what's the job like? has anyone else found it hard leaving the army and taking such a big pay cut? I know my family member has a pension to top up the pay so that helps a bit.

Does anyone have any experience of how long it takes APC Glasgow to get through your application and hopefully offer you a job?

Any advice for my family member would be appreciated.
Page 9
    • mark2jag
    • By mark2jag 3rd Sep 13, 6:34 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mark2jag
    MGS gone, err NO, where did you hear that guff.
    MGS are NOT gone, they are being reduced but not gone. I am in the process of applying for an MPGS post as I have served before. I'm currently in the MGS and have just accepted my Voluntary early release(basically they give you a large ish sum of money to go and do something else not civil service). I'm not sure at the moment if joining the MPGS means I will have to give my lump sum payment back, but Im hoping that as the Army pension has no relation to a civil service pension I should be ok and allowed to keep my lump sum, and then proceed to my MPGS job. Hoping they get things moving and let me know asap, as I am only in my job until last day of March 2014, after that , I'll have to do something else. Any one know whether I will have to give my VERS back if I join the MPGS?? If you do then a PM to me would be most appreciated.

Mark.
  • markwatson99
    My experience is similar to many others on here. I applied last December, did all the paperwork at the AFCO, then the Sgt Major dealing with me was made redundant. The new guy didn't seem interested. When I phoned in the spring and summer I was told both times to wait, or to ring some civvies in Wiltshire, who then told me to go back and ring the AFCO. It's been a year now, and nobody seems to know what's going on. Very disheartening.
  • Andyjr86
    I'm currently serving in the MPGS. I would highly recommend this job to any ex-serving forces.
    • suvla
    • By suvla 8th Mar 14, 6:17 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    suvla
    I know mobs on our base have it tabs out , they work 4 days on , 4 days off (12hr shifts) think it works out nicely with leave as well take 4 days off and you've bagged nearly two weeks off hoofin for a job with little responsibility other than checking ID cards vehicle searches and camp searches I tHink not a bad wage at all still get to use gym and all the med bay dento etc still not bad I thinks good away to wind down or a nice quiet life
    #1799 sealed moneypot challenge- target 500 s/f 378
    currently saved 4500 target 10k
    • Relliott6879
    • By Relliott6879 15th Dec 14, 11:13 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Relliott6879
    I am a serving SNCO and, with my 24 year exit point looming all to large on the horizon, I am naturally considering my employment options 'on the other side'. The MPGS is certainly an avenue to explore, but I seem to be unable to find much in the way of information on pensions. My specific concerns are:
    • Would I still receieve my lump sum on leaving, if I were to transfer straight across to the MPGS? As they are still part of the Army, would I be regarded as not having left? My motivation for a direct transfer would be to hopefully avoid the lengthy application delays I have read about elsewhere on this thread.
    • Noting the above, would I be better leaving in the normal manner, then applying to rejoin a few weeks down the line but risking the aforementioned delays?
    • Would I be required to surrender my lump sum if rejoining, effectively rendering the second point moot?
    • Would I receive my monthly pension in addition to my MPGS salary, or would I be ineligible due to still being employed by the Army?
    My apologies for all the questions, but I have always found it pays to thoroughly research something before jumping in!
  • markwatson99
    I am a serving SNCO and, with my 24 year exit point looming all to large on the horizon, I am naturally considering my employment options 'on the other side'. The MPGS is certainly an avenue to explore, but I seem to be unable to find much in the way of information on pensions. My specific concerns are:
    • Would I still receieve my lump sum on leaving, if I were to transfer straight across to the MPGS? As they are still part of the Army, would I be regarded as not having left? My motivation for a direct transfer would be to hopefully avoid the lengthy application delays I have read about elsewhere on this thread.
    • Noting the above, would I be better leaving in the normal manner, then applying to rejoin a few weeks down the line but risking the aforementioned delays?
    • Would I be required to surrender my lump sum if rejoining, effectively rendering the second point moot?
    • Would I receive my monthly pension in addition to my MPGS salary, or would I be ineligible due to still being employed by the Army?
    My apologies for all the questions, but I have always found it pays to thoroughly research something before jumping in!
    Originally posted by Relliott6879
    Im not sure, do you have an RCMO?? I know for a fact there's a long backlog at the moment of over 500 people waiting to join...so it's not easy these days. They're getting more picky about who they let in, quite rightly!
  • markwatson99
    I'm currently serving in the MPGS. I would highly recommend this job to any ex-serving forces.
    Originally posted by Andyjr86
    Where are u based mate?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,893Posts Today

8,710Users online

Martin's Twitter