Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    MissKitty
    MPGS - What's it Like??
    • 10th Jan 12, 9:28 PM
    MPGS - What's it Like?? 10th Jan 12 at 9:28 PM
    Hi all

Someone in my family is just about to leave the army after 24 years service and is thinking about joining the Military Provist Guard Service (MPGS).

I was wondering if there is any ex soldiers out there that are currently in the MPGS that could pass on a bit of advice.

The starting pay is only 18,237.48 so quiet a drop from SNCO levels.
    How quick is it to get through the ranks and what's the job like? has anyone else found it hard leaving the army and taking such a big pay cut? I know my family member has a pension to top up the pay so that helps a bit.

Does anyone have any experience of how long it takes APC Glasgow to get through your application and hopefully offer you a job?

Any advice for my family member would be appreciated.
Page 5
  • Jim2509
    I feel for you mate, sounds like you fell foul to a buffoon like my AFCO was. In my case I applied in March 2010..heard sod all, after the first 3 months, moved house recently, phoned the AFCO up to update them on new address, to be told the bloke who was dealing with my application deleted my details off the system after one year?? I was furious, and I've had to re-apply. I reckon i'll be waiting another two years no doubt to get the job in the locations I want. I hope you get your posting soon.

Went AFCO today to hand in my medical as i have just been just over a year and Glasgow have requested a new medical. Turns out that they requested a new medical because they offered me a posting and my AFCO emailed them back saying i wouldn't be interested in that posting without even asking!!!!

I'm not happy at all!!

He just assumed i wouldn't be interested as i didn't put that location down. The location in question is just down the road from me so i would of taken it so now he has emailed them to ask them if it's still available and if so i will take it.

It's ridiculous!! In the past week i have been asked by them whether i want to re join the army not the MPGS and today was whether i wanted to do the TA aswell as the MPGS as apprantly you can do that?!

It's turning into a joke!

I will await a response but i will be giving them weekly calls now not monthly.
    Originally posted by mrskezza
  • Jud546
    Swore my oath of allegiance at the AFCO this morning, so am now officially a member of 'Dad's Army' and start a week of local induction training at my camp on Monday. A date for initial training at Southwick Park will follow.

Does anybody who's currently in the MPGS know what the fitness requirement/ standard is and is it the Army PFT or dependant on Unit; I.e. A beep test on RAF camps ?

I'll update after I've been in a few weeks and again the very best of luck to all those waiting to hear.
    • jojo_the_joyful
    • By jojo_the_joyful 22nd Jun 12, 11:10 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    jojo_the_joyful
    Congratulations Jud and welcome to the family

Last year Hubby had 12 mins when he was 44 and next time he will have 12:30 as he is now 45. So pretty standard times as per army.

Just asked him. Apparently they have PTI's in the MPGS FIT PENSIONERS

Hubby is not big on fitness but apart from sometimes running into work sometimes finds time to go for a run on nights, between gates.

There are no 45Kg Burgons or anything like that.
  • Jud546
    Congratulations Jud and welcome to the family

Last year Hubby had 12 mins when he was 44 and next time he will have 12:30 as he is now 45. So pretty standard times as per army.

Just asked him. Apparently they have PTI's in the MPGS FIT PENSIONERS

Hubby is not big on fitness but apart from sometimes running into work sometimes finds time to go for a run on nights, between gates.

There are no 45Kg Burgons or anything like that.
    Originally posted by jojo_the_joyful
    Thanks Jojo,

I'll have to dig my running shoes out-used to the RAF beep test so no idea how long it would take to do a mile and a half, but it's got to be easier than the shuttles.
  • porpoise10
    Hi, don't know if anybody will be able to offer advice but thought I would ask, My hubby is out at Christmas after taking voluntary redundancy , he is getting a 30000 redundancy settlement. He has inquired about doing mpgs after he has left the army and has been told he would not get his settlement or if he joined after a few months he would have to pay back some/all of the money . Does anybody know if this is correct, as he was told this from a guy who works on the gate at the camp hes currently at. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
  • MissKitty
    Hi, don't know if anybody will be able to offer advice but thought I would ask, My hubby is out at Christmas after taking voluntary redundancy , he is getting a 30000 redundancy settlement. He has inquired about doing mpgs after he has left the army and has been told he would not get his settlement or if he joined after a few months he would have to pay back some/all of the money . Does anybody know if this is correct, as he was told this from a guy who works on the gate at the camp hes currently at. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by porpoise10
    Hi porpoise, I'm not sure exactly what will happen with regards to your hubby's money, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along and advice you soon.

My hubby and I were having a conversation about this not long ago as I said there must be alot of people applying for the MPGS with all the redundancies going on. My hubby mentioned something about soldiers being made redundant aren't allowed to apply to get into the MPGS till at least 6 months after they have finished in the army. My hubby isn't about at the moment so I'm not 100% sure on all the details. Hopefuly someone else will come along and advice you.

If you get no luck here ask your hubby to go into your local Army Careers Office and they should be able to give you more information.
  • MissKitty
    UPDATE

Hi everyone, hubby got a phone call today and he has got a job with the MPGS, finally!!

He got his second preference, about 30 mins from our house, but we're happy as it's a permanent job at the end of the day.

He's getting fed up of being messed around doing agency work, not knowing if you have a job from one day to the next and he has had exactly one response to all the job applications he has filled in, pretty rubbish really.

My family member who applied also got an offer a few weeks ago so things are looking up. Hang in there guys and girls your all needed they just need time to get through the applications.

Keep the forum going, would still love to hear how you all do.

xx
  • Jud546
    Congratulations MissKitty,

Pleased as punch for you and welcome to the ever expanding clan

What area did he get? Good luck to those of you still waiting.
    • jojo_the_joyful
    • By jojo_the_joyful 27th Jun 12, 8:23 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    jojo_the_joyful
    UPDATE

Hi everyone, hubby got a phone call today and he has got a job with the MPGS, finally!!

He got his second preference, about 30 mins from our house, but we're happy as it's a permanent job at the end of the day.

He's getting fed up of being messed around doing agency work, not knowing if you have a job from one day to the next and he has had exactly one response to all the job applications he has filled in, pretty rubbish really.

My family member who applied also got an offer a few weeks ago so things are looking up. Hang in there guys and girls your all needed they just need time to get through the applications.

Keep the forum going, would still love to hear how you all do.

xx
    Originally posted by MissKitty
    Excellent news.

I am so pleased for you both !!!

Welcome to the family
  • MissKitty
    Congratulations MissKitty,

Pleased as punch for you and welcome to the ever expanding clan

What area did he get? Good luck to those of you still waiting.
    Originally posted by Jud546
    Thanks, he will be in Suffolk, so we're happy. Hubby's start date is exactly 3 months to the day from his leaving the army date, how strange!!
  • MissKitty
    Excellent news.

I am so pleased for you both !!!

Welcome to the family
    Thanks jojo, before long it will feel like we never left, just had a 3 month holiday!!
    • jojo_the_joyful
    • By jojo_the_joyful 28th Jun 12, 5:41 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    jojo_the_joyful
    It will be Kitty, complete with moans, groans and green.

Well not so much green.

I don't know if your hubby had the new issue uniform before he left.

Words of warning to anyone issued it or who launders it.

Wash it seperate from anything else.

Do not wash it with sock, slinky underwear, bra's or anything you like really.

This new kit is Velco mad & once your smalls have embedded them selves onto this military strength velco it is impossible to remove them with out snagging them.

I read of one woman in the AFJ who caught her hubby going to work with her knickers hanging from his jacket LOL
  • MissKitty
    It will be Kitty, complete with moans, groans and green.

Well not so much green.

I don't know if your hubby had the new issue uniform before he left.

Words of warning to anyone issued it or who launders it.

Wash it seperate from anything else.

Do not wash it with sock, slinky underwear, bra's or anything you like really.

This new kit is Velco mad & once your smalls have embedded them selves onto this military strength velco it is impossible to remove them with out snagging them.

I read of one woman in the AFJ who caught her hubby going to work with her knickers hanging from his jacket LOL
    That's a really useful bit of info, thanks for the heads up, I think I will be washing it seperately.

No he didn't have the new uniform before he left, I'm not keen on it, I prefer the old style. We also just got rid of all the army kit from our loft only to get some back again!!
  • sarahtxx
    hi all.. i have been following this for a few weeks now as my other half applied april 23rd and he left the navy april 28th.. i was just wondering misskitty if they took your husbands appliaction from january or if it just sat there till april when he actually left the army, the day he applied they sent him to his doc to sign a medical sheet saying he was fit for mpgs so as with everyone else its a waiting game.. he put for hampshire, kent and london
  • MissKitty
    hi all.. i have been following this for a few weeks now as my other half applied april 23rd and he left the navy april 28th.. i was just wondering misskitty if they took your husbands appliaction from january or if it just sat there till april when he actually left the army, the day he applied they sent him to his doc to sign a medical sheet saying he was fit for mpgs so as with everyone else its a waiting game.. he put for hampshire, kent and london
    Originally posted by sarahtxx
    Hi Sarah

My husband didn't leave the army until 16th April this year but he did his final medical in January and all the paperwork was sent to Glasgow via the Army Careers Office in January.

He was told that you have a 1 month cooling off period so you cant start in the MPGS until at least 1 month after your army leave date. It may well be something to do with their pensions kicking in, I'm not quiet sure. So I guess his application has been in Glasgow since January but they wouldn't of processed it till after his leave date in April.

I think it is just a case of waiting, from what people have said on here and other army personnel I have talked to, the team in Glasgow that deals with the applications is small and I expect they have many to go through.

From the time my husband left the army to his start date in the MPGS, in just over a weeks time, it will be 3 months wait for him.

I understand how you feel as it's the not knowing anything that is frustrating. Tell your husband to make sure he calls his AFCO at least once a month for an update and so they know he is still waiting, as other stories on here have shown it's easy for applications to slip through the net if their not monitored.

Good luck, hope hubby gets in soon, keep us updated.
  • insignia59
    hello all,
    After 3 months of frustration and several trips and phone calls to the AFCO, I thought about browsing the web for advice from anyone else and was glad that I found this forum and that there is a lot of good people in the same boat as me.
    I left 18 months ago and have senior manager job in a high street store, but the salary is only just above the starting MPGS wage and the job really is not that good. I have no debt, ties or commitments and have put down that I will move anywhere.
    After reading the threads on here I am unsure how the process will pan out. It sounds like there is a mixed bag of both good and bad news!!!!
    • montymud
    • By montymud 18th Jul 12, 1:35 PM
    • 971 Posts
    • 6,324 Thanks
    montymud
    The MPGS is fab IMO. Although a lot of it is stagging on you get training days twice a month where you go to the ranges etc. Also, once in the MPGS if you decide to transfer back to the regulars that is tottaly possible. I would say go for it. It is a long old process but worthwhile as you are unlikely to find that sort of pay and benefits on civvy street. Good luck

• insignia59
    Mpgs
    Thanks for the reply montymud.

I am really looking forward to joining the MPGS, because what it has to offer really suits me down to the ground. It is the process that is frustrating. I have had my interviews, medical etc and I am prepared to slog it out, but the AFCO and staff do not fill me with much confidence.
    I have just had 2 days off and went into the AFCO, they did not know anything about the MOD police being disbanded or the increase in MPGS numbers and sites.
    Oh, and by the way there is still no news about my application. I just have to wait some more, again!!!!!
  • MissKitty
    hello all,
    After 3 months of frustration and several trips and phone calls to the AFCO, I thought about browsing the web for advice from anyone else and was glad that I found this forum and that there is a lot of good people in the same boat as me.
    I left 18 months ago and have senior manager job in a high street store, but the salary is only just above the starting MPGS wage and the job really is not that good. I have no debt, ties or commitments and have put down that I will move anywhere.
    After reading the threads on here I am unsure how the process will pan out. It sounds like there is a mixed bag of both good and bad news!!!!
    Originally posted by insignia59
    Hang on in there, I'm sure your application will get through soon. My hubby was in the same boat not so long ago and it's really frustrating, but they will get to your application, just keep pestering your AFCO so they know your still interested.

The benefits that come with the MPGS are really good compared to civvy street, my hubby was only out 3 months and it wasn't easy. He sent off loads of job applications and heard nothing from most places, there is so much competition out there.

My hubby has been in a week now, lots of training and admin going on, but he doesn't mind. It's a good secure job where you also have the chance to progress and make your way up the ranks again. The pay is pretty good when you start to move up so it cant be that bad.

Good luck insignia, keep us all updated.
  • insignia59
    Mpgs
    thank you Miss Kitty

I am keeping the faith and holding on, and waiting, but as you are aware and know, the not knowing and waiting is so frustrating.
    I am lucky that I am in employment at the moment, but am really looking forward to getting back in the military environment.
    Nobody I work with knows anything about the army, most of my friends are abroad, family live other side of the country.
    I am holding out and staying positive, but I still feel that a lot of people are being missed out or lost because of this procedure and the AFCO staff are not the most proactive or dynamic.
    Guess what? Still waiting!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

27Posts Today

3,477Users online

Martin's Twitter