Christmas gifts for the over 80's inc. care home residents with/without dementia

Comments

• Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    ...Hawkin's Bazaar. That is a most astonishing place for finding 'fun' presents..
    :T

If your oldie has a sense of humour try Hawkins' Jellyiatrics - jelly babies of old folks - just great! I am hoping to get one of the older guys at work for my Secret Santa so I can get him these too :rotfl:

http://www.hawkin.com/search/JELLYATRICS

Great thread - when I realised one year I had been buying MIL 3 presents a year for 20 years I was no longer surprised I had run out of ideas, as there are just so many bird feeders you can give, especially as she has so many kids/kids' spouses, grandkids, ex-daughters-in-law etc

Garden stepping stones are quite a good one though, can make some areas a bit more accessible in slippers!
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • mary-op wrote: »
    I bought my mum a lovely bird feeder a few years back before we lost her. She couldn't do much but loved to watch the birds from her window.

Just want to say that my bird feeder comment wasn't a dig at you, it's just she had so many from various bits of the family :), I love them
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • alex21
    alex21 Posts: 553 Forumite
    Sometimes the elderly have trouble with circulation and feel the cold. What about a hot water bottle in a fluffy cover. :)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The feeling the cold comment: I have bought myself a fleece with pockets in The Works, I haven't worn it yet because someone is going to give it to me for Christmas, but it seems a lot more practical than slankets which you have to take off when you get up and move around.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • jap200
    jap200 Posts: 2,033 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Loads of great ideas here - but sadly most are ones I have already used at some point. Like someone said above, when you have been buying several gifts a year for the same person the ideas eventually get used up!

Active (in mind and body) seniors are a breeze to buy for (relatively speaking), but it's those with the more limited (in mind and body) capacities that are the challenge! Not to mention the 'grumpy old man' syndrome - I have a father-in-law who is 82 and a nightmare to buy for because he thinks that anything that he doesn't need (as opposed to want) and that doesn't have a practical use is a total waste of time and money.

I think I might just have stumbled upon something ideal for him though - he has taken over most of the cooking as my mother in law is decending into dementia. Its the Haynes manual (as in the car workshop) guide to cooking. It's £10 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mens-Cooking-Manual-No-nonsense-Buying/dp/1844258696/ref=pd_sim_b_5

51g1FDYJRXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I got him the Haynes men's health manual a couple of years back and that was a hit too. It looks like a new edition is out now:
    5184WMX8NXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The feeling the cold moment: I wouldn't mind a hottie if it was a funny or glamorous one, any other sort would go straight in the bin. I have my standards ;)
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    How about something like some really delicious up-market chocolates - like fortnum & masons or harrods. Or a bottle of cherry brandy. Or liqueur chocolates. Or some delicious smelly soap - crabtree and evelyn or some such.
  • nikki1520
    nikki1520 Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My old granddads both used to be partial to trumpers west Indian lime aftershave. Both shaved every day, never mind about being retired- if they hadn't done it, they weren't well!
  • mary-op
    mary-op Posts: 3,605 Forumite
    blossom - no worries re bird feeders........and I love the jellyatric babies...............lol
    I would be unstoppable if only I could get started !

(previously known as mary43)
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Once again we are stereotyping people by age. Here's novel - why not look at the person? I know one elderly lady who would be thrilled by a ride in a hot air balloon. Oh sorry, she doesn't fit the spec because that's what younger people do. Maybe a nice vest from Damart?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure