Black Dog of Depression - can we help each other?

Hello Friends

It's silly o'clock as I type this, but I've been lying in bed unable to sleep, and it occurs to me that there's not a Depression thread yet.

I think those of us who suffer this can help each other. I'd like to think so, anyway; I do know that, as a MoneySaving forum, it is relevant for those of us who go a bit OTT with the spending when the Black Dog has us. I know I do - I spend far and away too much on alcohol.

Depression is as much a disability as the physical stuff (of which I do have some also, I have lupus) but it is so sad that it is seen as something you can "pull yourself together" from. Etc, etc. If you've read this far, you know that it doesn't work that way.

OK, to get to the point..... I have had severe depression from very early in life (diagnosed at the age of 12, I have been on various anti-d's for the last 37 years) and I'd like to offer a "paw" of friendship to others in the jaws of the Black Dog.

I can't, obviously, wave a magic wand and solve all your problems, but I do think that we can perhaps share coping strategies, and maybe provide some mutual support.
If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)

Comments

• Hiya LW

Guess you has depression and can't sleep either? I think it would a great idea for a depression thread. :T Good thinking!

Like you I was diagnosed as a child (at 9yrs) I think there is a link between childhood dep' and having it in adult life. I'm one of the few folk who get on with seroxat (after yrs of no anti-d's)

I see a counsellor every wk which has saved my life. Have you had any therapy? Am I right in thinking you have fibro too? I think they go hand in hand.

Not sleeping is a b**ch. Why does it always happen when we need to sleep after a bad day or have something imp' to do the next day? At least you have some good ideas when you can't sleep, I just eat crisps and get grumpy :o

Let's hope today is a good one.

nb:I've just seen that you have lupus, my mum had that too, my heart goes out to you it's a really horrid condition.
  • shazrobo
    shazrobo Posts: 3,313 Forumite
    hi there, i suffer from depression too, and i found the depression support thread over on the health and beauty board to be very useful, everyone there is so supportive
    hugs
    shaz x
    enjoy life, we only get one chance at it:)
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I managed to get my depression under control by changing all the bad things in my life and by getting a new, supportive partner and a routine. For me the key was to make myself get out of bed, get showered, get dressed, get fed every morning then plan my day so that I would be busy. This won't work for everyone, but it was what I needed.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Hello LameWolf,

I'd like to throw something into this conversation that has worked for me.
    Like most, the lack of sleep due to depression, and the resulting pressure I would put myself under trying to get some sleep was difficult to dealt with. After a spell on prozac and the horrific nightmare nightmares that resulted, my daughter provided me the the solution.

At bedtime we have a story cd, something along the lines of The Owl who was Afraid of the Dark, Spiderwick Chronicles, The Wind in the Willows. I was shocked how little of the story I heard, before being soundly asleep. Over a 2 week period, I would manage to hear more and more of the stroy, and then would change to a new story.

If it works for children, it's not surprising it still works for us grown ups.
    For a period of time, we can relax and listen to a story, without turning all the usual stuff over and over in our brains.
    Even if it doesn't work for you, it's still a lovely way to go to bed,

Regards

Munchie:D
  • TaBunny
    TaBunny Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hey woolfie you were there for me last week and I'm hear now for you, that's the thing we all need is support now and then and your forum idea sounds interesting maybe the Mods could look into it. For now here's a big HUG and a SQUEEZE not too tight mind don't want to break my silly arms lol, you take care and know that there's people out there you've never even met or set eyes upon who are rooting for you and are always at the end of the line ;O)

Oh and as for the sleeping, well I used to not be able to sleep due to the pain but then I took up reading until I fell asleep in fact some nights I fall asleep and get awoken by the book dropping on my face LOL but I know reading doesn't do for everyone.
    :p
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you to all of you who have replied on this thread; I think knowing that you're not alone, even if the "company" is via the computer, is a great help.

It's interesting that Bushbaby mentions that counselling has been helpful. I'm pleased to hear that; finding something that works, whatever it may be, can be a long and tiresome road.

For my own case, I have had more counselling/CBT/psychotherapy in one lifetime than anyone should have to go through in three, and have actually found it to be counterproductive.

I have had just about every anti-d known to science (or at least the NHS lol) - long story short, I can't remember the names of the first three or four anti-d's I had, but in my mid 20's they put me on Amytriptiline, which sent me pretty much "up with the fairies" to the extent that I was a danger to myself and others. After that came Seroxat, which was fine for quite a few years, then when that stopped working, I went onto moclobemide (Manerix) which I am still on.

Do you feel, as I do, that increasing levels of disability (I am now housebound unless my OH is around to help me get out) exacerbate depression? :confused:

Also, I gather that in some conditions, the illness itself can cause changes in brain chemistry that can bring on, or at least increase, depression.:confused:

It's a long and complicated subject, which I have very limited understanding of, I have to say.:confused::o

Anyway, lets hope that between us we can get out various Black Dogs to shut up, lie down and behave for a bit.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Interesting that you say about the links between illness and disability, I've been wondering that myself for a while now. I can't remember if I was ill first or depressed first and which caused/exacerbated the other.
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • TaBunny
    TaBunny Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I know that one of the side effects of rhuematoid is depression also I suffer from SAD in the winter but I bought a light box for the winter and that seems to of helped a little, pain will cause depression it's never gonna make us happy well unless someones a real kinky sadist eek I've been in the wrong life lol
    :p
  • Hi folks, hope you've all had a nice day :wave:

M&C - I completely forgot that I downloaded some free audio books (via special offer from local radio). I got into such a tizz last night that I didn't think to listen to them. It's true they do help, I fall asleep before the stories end and sometimes dream about them while I sleep... lol

LW & Gemmzie - I've never thought about which came first (Dep' or illness), when I'm feeling a bit stronger I'll try and get to the bottom of it with my GP. It would make sense because I can remember always being 'sad' or 'down' as a child and I think things got worse at puberty, which is when the physical symptoms surfaced. Also the idea that illnesses can change the brain chemistry and maybe trigger dep' makes sense because it gets worse when I am in pain and it's not just because things hurt. It's almost as if I shut down emotionally and cognitively for a while. I wonder if that's why amytriptiline sometimes helps with my Fibro? Can you remember where you heard about this? I'd really like to find out more about it.

LW - Very sorry to hear that therapy hasn't helped. I've been SO lucky to find a counsellor that I 'click' with. She has RA and it's a relief to not have to explain how I feel, she understands instinctively. I hope the Manerix continues to help you (is it OK to send you a hug? :o )

Actually I'll send everyone a hug :grouphug:

NB: Just got an email from the audio book people the 14 day free trial is still on (remember to cancel b4 14 days is up, that's what I did) which is the best place to post the info?
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    I've never found a counsellor I've clicked with, first one was nice but was part of family services and I was far too close to the problems (emotionally) to talk properly, second was awful - a volunteer - she was accusatory and rude, third was a nice bloke but just couldn't talk to him. Guess I should try again soon.
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport