Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Apr 19, 9:38 AM
    • 4,545Posts
    • 28,109Thanks
    doingitanyway
    My year of living dangerously
    • 11th Apr 19, 9:38 AM
    My year of living dangerously 11th Apr 19 at 9:38 AM
    My work is moving to a new part of the country. So, I won’t have a job after August. What do I do?

The money situation could be better. There is only me but I am debt and mortgage free (Thanks to people on this forum)

FINANCIAL POSITION
    A work payment (tiny! less than an average PP1 payout)
    Savings from salary until August
    A new (small again) saving pot I can access

The sensible thing to do is look for a new job and use the savings to bring the gap.

Instead I am going to pursue my creative work for a year. I will be working hard at it! For a year I will not have a paid income.

I want to move next year so I need to make my house presentable for sale. I need to use the money I have to live on, but I will also do three essential renovations/repairs:

Put in a new bathroom,
    Plaster the kitchen
    New fascias.

I will be working hard from now on to carve out a freelance lifestyle that I hope will become my new normal.

When the year is up I will potentially be broke with no source of income, but I will work hard to prevent that reality. A lovely relative died recently. It has reminded me to start living the life I want to now, so I am giving it my best shot. Wish me luck.
    Car costs savings: 317
    Xmas savings 160
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN? 14/31 AFDs forAugust
Page 2
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 16th Apr 19, 6:49 PM
    • 4,545 Posts
    • 28,109 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    selling my annual leave
    I was in the office today. I took in lunch but I still I paid £2.75 for a piece of cake, £2.20 for a coffee and £7.40 in fares = £12.35. Not great I know… Thankfully tomorrow I WFH so a NSD.

Today I found out that if I save a week’s leave I can push my redundancy to the next thousand. So I will be doing that.

It was hard today. Low, low, moral all round.

I need to start getting quotes again. It stresses me out getting people in and I’m already stressed with work but I need to bite the bullet.

Tomorrow my frogs will be:
    Ask 2 neighbours if they can recommend a floor sander
    Phone the recommended plumber to get my first quote for the bathroom.

Welcome to the week.
    Hope you are all doing okay
    Xmas savings 160
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Apr 19, 7:46 PM
    • 65,653 Posts
    • 295,641 Thanks
    beanielou
    No wonder that there is low morale
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th Apr 19, 7:55 PM
    • 4,142 Posts
    • 6,823 Thanks
    another casualty
    I feel for you in that horrible environment DIA.
    However, you know that soon you will be gone and that cloud will be off of your shoulders . Not very mse, but I think that you should have that coffee & cake etc . If it's a small boost then why not ?
    It's only for a short while anyway . Only my angle of course .
    Anyway , stay focused on your home project and keep going ..
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th Apr 19, 8:30 PM
    • 10,127 Posts
    • 81,023 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Another one who is not surprised that morale is low. Can you take in cake from home with your lunch so you don't have to buy it? Coffee is essential in my opinion though .

It's good to get your redundancy as high as possible.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £4,005/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £2,005/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £129.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £200. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £100
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Apr 19, 8:36 PM
    • 65,653 Posts
    • 295,641 Thanks
    beanielou
    Can only say cake & coffee are always good

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Enjoying life more
    • By Enjoying life more 16th Apr 19, 8:54 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    Enjoying life more
    Hi - I used to read your first diary and I think you followed my first diary at times? Anyway it’s nice to see your progress and great news on your exciting plans for the future!! Sorry to read about the work stuff at the moment but at least there’s an end in sight - take care and good luck - I will follow your progress 😀
    Total Morg and debt outstanding March 2019. 84,487.00
    Total morg and debt outstanding June 19 83,248
    Total morg and debt outstanding July 19 82,603
    Total morg and debt outstanding Aug 19 - 82,016
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 17th Apr 19, 7:23 AM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 15,620 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I'm sneaking in late, trying to catch up. I don't think I've said how sorry I am about the work situation. Forced change is usually harder to cope with, especially with a long run up to it like you have. What I have found with longer transitions is that there are some people who get stuck in the anger denial cycle, and they bring everyone else down. All you can do is try to avoid the 'mood hoovers'.

Sounds good on saving the holidays, some places insist that you take them before you finish. I'm sure you have thought of it, but don't forget it may only be part of a years entitlement accrued in your calculations. Once formal notice of redundancy has been issued then people should get paid time off for interviews.

You do so much better than me on the eating front, my default food plan has always been toast.

Exciting times!
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Apr 19, 7:30 AM
    • 4,545 Posts
    • 28,109 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    No wonder that there is low morale
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I know and so long to go too.
    I feel for you in that horrible environment DIA.
    However, you know that soon you will be gone and that cloud will be off of your shoulders . Not very mse, but I think that you should have that coffee & cake etc . If it's a small boost then why not ?
    It's only for a short while anyway . Only my angle of course .
    Anyway , stay focused on your home project and keep going ..
    Originally posted by another casualty
    Thanks for the encouragement. And you've made me feel better about the coffee and cake.
    Another one who is not surprised that morale is low. Can you take in cake from home with your lunch so you don't have to buy it? Coffee is essential in my opinion though .

It's good to get your redundancy as high as possible.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks HH, yes I need my payment to be as a much as possible so losing 1 week's hols is fine. I'll have enough 'me' time after August. The annoying thing about cake is I can make better than I buy and would if I had an oven
    Xmas savings 160
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Apr 19, 7:36 AM
    • 4,545 Posts
    • 28,109 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Hi - I used to read your first diary and I think you followed my first diary at times? Anyway it’s nice to see your progress and great news on your exciting plans for the future!! Sorry to read about the work stuff at the moment but at least there’s an end in sight - take care and good luck - I will follow your progress 😀
    Originally posted by Enjoying life more
    Thanks, I'll pop over to your diary. Nice to 'see' you here. And you are right there is an end in sight, just to get there now...
    I'm sneaking in late, trying to catch up. I don't think I've said how sorry I am about the work situation. Forced change is usually harder to cope with, especially with a long run up to it like you have. What I have found with longer transitions is that there are some people who get stuck in the anger denial cycle, and they bring everyone else down. All you can do is try to avoid the 'mood hoovers'.

Sounds good on saving the holidays, some places insist that you take them before you finish. I'm sure you have thought of it, but don't forget it may only be part of a years entitlement accrued in your calculations. Once formal notice of redundancy has been issued then people should get paid time off for interviews.

You do so much better than me on the eating front, my default food plan has always been toast.

Exciting times!
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Thanks Redo. It feels tough right now and the final line seems so far away

You couldn't be more right about people stuck in the cycle. I am going to try and get as much WFH time as possible as I can control my surroundings and people in it then.
    Thanks for the heads but yes I pro rated the leave I have left. I did not know about time off for interviews, so thanks for that too.

I love food planning and recipes and the challenge of tasty food on a budget

I need to keep focused on my new lifestyle at the end of this. I can't wait
    Xmas savings 160
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Apr 19, 8:27 AM
    • 4,545 Posts
    • 28,109 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    rethinking the dishes
    Up early. A good start.

Trying to train myself to wake up earlier.
    Tomorrow I will try getting up 30 minutes earlier than today. Easier now it is lighter in the mornings.
    If I can become accustomed to being up and getting going very early, next I will start creative working on waking.

Rubbish and recycling sorted
    Washing done and out drying
    Rooms aired

Chicken marinating and a batch of quinoa cooked for the fridge
    Sun dried tomato frittata cooked for fridge

WFH today! A relief! Yesterday I kept wondering how on earth I can make it through the next few months until I can go?

A silly thing that appears to be a game changer. I have been so focussed on a dishwasher I thought that was the only solution. I threw out my old plastic and ugly dish drainer ages ago. Then I bought a small stainless steel one. I use my colander to drain cutlery. And bingo. I seem to be on top of the dishes again after ages of drowning in dishes. Sometimes it pays to rethink a situation

Have a good day everyone
    Xmas savings 160
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 17th Apr 19, 8:47 AM
    • 986 Posts
    • 5,247 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    You've grabbed that positive mentality this morning and it's paying off! Washing out, dishes sorted, rooms aired and you're ready to go for the day!

I mentioned a while back that I've started getting up with my husband in the morning (about 6.45am) to enable me to get a coffee in peace before the kids get up and the craziness ensues. It's actually working really well rather than being rudely awoken by kids and thrown straight into the chaos of getting ready. I hope you manage to find the right balance!

Also, the earlier you get started, the earlier you can get finished and have your afternoons/ evenings as your own.

What time are you aiming to get up and what is that relative to your normal wakening time? Just curious!

I'm considering some home yoga at lunchtime to get me moving.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 17th Apr 19, 11:55 AM
    • 756 Posts
    • 2,516 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    We keep on top of dishes with a wonderful drainer I got when we married 19years ago! And cutlery goes into a pot from the Swedish store. I would hare a dishwasher. Besides that's what I call my teens lol!
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 17th Apr 19, 12:52 PM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 19,295 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    What a good result on the cost of the Swedish chair!

Sorry that things at work at such a drain, but you've had some excellent advice from redo.

I think your idea of waking up earlier to get yourself going is an excellent one and it's certainly worked for you today!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 22
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • 24ta
    • By 24ta 17th Apr 19, 3:13 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    24ta
    You can make oven top cakes.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Apr 19, 6:54 AM
    • 4,545 Posts
    • 28,109 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I mentioned a while back that I've started getting up with my husband in the morning (about 6.45am) to enable me to get a coffee in peace before the kids get up and the craziness ensues. It's actually working really well rather than being rudely awoken by kids and thrown straight into the chaos of getting ready. I hope you manage to find the right balance!

Also, the earlier you get started, the earlier you can get finished and have your afternoons/ evenings as your own.

What time are you aiming to get up and what is that relative to your normal wakening time? Just curious!

I'm considering some home yoga at lunchtime to get me moving.
    Originally posted by Homegrown0
    Hope you enjoyed your yoga.

I usually get up at 7ish but when I'm worried about something I stay in bed 'thinking' and that does me no good. I am now getting up at 6.30 but want to get up at 5.30, so my creative work is underway by 6.00. My days are better when I wake early and go to bed earlier. They just are...
    What a good result on the cost of the Swedish chair!
    j
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    Yes I was very pleased. MSE has twisted my perception and £120 for one chair feels extortionate
    You can make oven top cakes.
    Originally posted by 24ta
    Never thought of it but I've goggled and seen a few possibilities. Thank you
    Xmas savings 160
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 18th Apr 19, 8:49 AM
    • 986 Posts
    • 5,247 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Wow - I get up once in a blue moon at 5.30am to go to the gym and it feels like the middle of the night for me. Although, i'd get up at 5.30am and not go to bed any earlier (11pm ish) so that wouldn't work for me If you know it's your most productive time then it sounds like a good move for you!

Did you manage to increase the early morning this morning?

Waking up and getting straight up has made such a difference to me. Not getting wrapped up in reading the news, checking emails etc before even getting out of bed has made me much less rushed in the morning!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
    • jwil
    • By jwil 18th Apr 19, 10:35 AM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 39,695 Thanks
    jwil
    I'm a morning person and most productive then. I am usually up at 5.30am but do go to bed early in the evenings.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Apr 19, 1:02 PM
    • 4,545 Posts
    • 28,109 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Wow - I get up once in a blue moon at 5.30am to go to the gym and it feels like the middle of the night for me. Although, i'd get up at 5.30am and not go to bed any earlier (11pm ish) so that wouldn't work for me If you know it's your most productive time then it sounds like a good move for you!

Did you manage to increase the early morning this morning?

Waking up and getting straight up has made such a difference to me. Not getting wrapped up in reading the news, checking emails etc before even getting out of bed has made me much less rushed in the morning!
    Originally posted by Homegrown0
    Definitely getting straight up leads to a better day for me.
    I was up at 6.10 today so getting there, just need to crack the extra 40 mins.

I'm a morning person and most productive then. I am usually up at 5.30am but do go to bed early in the evenings.
    Originally posted by jwil
    My ideal is a cheeky nap for 40 mins during the day then I can stay up later. Without it I crash earlier
    Xmas savings 160
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Apr 19, 1:08 PM
    • 4,545 Posts
    • 28,109 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    ate a frog
    I was up early again

I woke with a migraine but managed to kill it with tablets so I thought I'd do a trip to the Swedish store to return a rug to the Swedish store. I picked up one I am 100% happy with now. No queues as early Another plant was an impulse buy. Picked up bits in Asd3. Easter eggs for god children and fruits, veggies and turkey.

It's warm here. I plan to do 2 hours creative work and also cut the grass. Then load the car for a tip run.

FROG: I called and left a message with the plumber to get a bathroom quote.

Hope everyone is well.
    Xmas savings 160
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Apr 19, 1:15 PM
    • 65,653 Posts
    • 295,641 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well done on the frog.

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,955Posts Today

8,924Users online

Martin's Twitter