Starting over 2017

Comments

• Dorastar
    Dorastar Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Absolutely minimal spend today, just a bottle of milk as we'd run out! Went for a run this morning and really enjoyed it so back to running more often over the summer holidays, especially as it's free! Also found out about local cycle hub where we can get bikes looked at for free, teen has one that I use but it's in need of a good check over and I'm clueless.
    Done a couple of surveys & a good friend is sending me a book I need for teaching too so reckon that means overall I've won today!
    Mortgage £128,626 going down slowly
  • Dorastar
    edited 19 July 2019 at 6:35AM
    Last day of the school year and a 1.30pm finish so hoping for a nap later on this afternoon. Have got a lot of stuff done but still got a few days worth of planning ahead to do so trying to get those sorted up till Wednesday next week when the boy finishes. Very minimal spend week as we've just been busy, hot and tired. Did some clerking at a meeting last night so a few more pennies to come my way in the summer but not looking forward to a pay-free August and watching the savings dwindle. Going to plan a pile of lovely free stuff especially to keep the tech-loving boy out of the house a bit and make sure we don't all just loll around all summer!

Just found out how much I'm getting in July pay packet and it's enough to pay the majority of August bills so that has made me feel considerably more cheerful than I was at stupid o'clock this morning!
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Can a school do that, if you have worked the academic year through? Doesn't seem right to not pay you for August...
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,243 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    I think it was a temp contract?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Dorastar
    edited 20 July 2019 at 10:04PM
    Was a mat leave cover, from December, it can end at any point tbh but teacher stayed off till end of term. Got to pay me though next summer though as it's a years contract this time and not a mat leave.

Adding a total NSD today
  • Ahh I see.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Dorastar
    Lazy days for a few days just recovering from the end of term. Food shop needed today but no-one's eating much in this heat so should be a cheap one :)
    Lots of housework to do and got to try a bit of DIY to get a kitchen cupboard fixed. Pay day today as well so a trip to the bank this morning to get another key card sorted and to check up on statements.
  • Dorastar
    edited 24 July 2019 at 9:19PM
    Got a lot of bits and bobs to get done today as I loafed around most of yesterday in the heat.

1) Sign and send off new contract - need one bit of paper to go with it
    2) Menu plan and food shop - DONE
    3) Minute write ups x2
    4) Bank for statements and new card -DONE
    5) Check the teen's bank - Friday once she's been paid
    6) Take file back to council - tomorrow & take my claims form & teen's claims form in too.
    7) DIY the kitchen unit - need to YouTube how to do it
    8) Hack out some brambles in the garden - DONE

Only cost is the food shop so another low spend day. Forgot 3.5) Give blood - NOT DONE, turns out I'm a bit low on iron so not allowed to give today.
  • Dorastar
    Coffee in a cafe with air conditioning with a friend to put the world to rights and stay cool at the same time this morning. Since then very little apart from a call to pensions people and I should be able to reclaim what I've paid since December as I opted out last September. Hopefully it will come back to me mid-August which will help tide us through into September.

Got to try to put a claim in to get tax back from PPI payments too, every little helps!
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I am interested to know why you have opted out of your pension? Of course you dont have to say!! I always thought teachers pensions were still considered good!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback