Options

Comments

• Caeraupracter
    Caeraupracter Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    edited 30 May 2019 at 8:22PM
    Options
    Loans and credit card PPI complaint.

Success story with Lloyds(TSB) and MBNA.

My wife £13,000 - me £9000 (so far).

Got it all back after a letter - no need for ombudsman - but there's more...

Historically I've pooh poohed the idea of making a PPI claim as I used to refuse to take it out for a long time. I was aware I'd had a bit that annoyed me on the odd credit card or loan but didn't think it would amount to anything worth claiming as I'd always payed them off early. I was always on temporary contracts when younger, with no problems with health-benefits at work so PPI was essentially useless.
    Also, the accounts I had these on are mostly long gone and forgotten so I entirely discounted doing a DIY claim as I didn't have enough info.

But I was persuaded to apply back in January by my daughter in-law who was talking about using a claim firm (a 'reputable' one as far as that is possible) - the line - 'even if you get a few hundred quid it's worth it, and if I didn't use them, I wouldn't do it'. This resonated with me, so I went for it - with a firm as I would have done it otherwise.

My wife had been approached by Lloyds(TSB?) in 2014, filled out a form to claim back PPI and got £2500 back then - so we assumed she was done. However the form sent by the company we used asked for financially linked people and since we have a joint current account and mortgage I put her name on the form along with mine. All of my accounts likely to be PPI-linked were long before we got married or met so I just put her on for completeness sake - she'd been payed out already right?
    I included every financial institution I've ever used on there to be sure I included all possibilities but knew fine than most of them would be dead ends - as I said - back in the day I usually refused PPI on credit.

Anyway, I applied in January/Feb 2019. By May I got a letter from MBNA with a £5000 cheque in it. STUNNING! Wow. That was my credit card - that's the big one right - anything else will be smaller.

Both of us then got letters from Lloyds - 'we are looking into it' - I wondered why they didn't just immediately tell my wife that they'd already paid out a claim for her.

Late May 2019 - we both get a letter from Lloyds - I will be getting £4000 from them. She will be getting....£13,000 !!!!!!!! Amazing, stunning and er..... well they must have really ripped her off in 2014 then huh?

I have - also it seems (don't even remember this) - a loan with MBNA too - so I have some more to come probably - decision due in early June as I had to speak to them on that one as 'they wanted some more details on my circumstances' at the time the loan was taken out.

So on a purely speculative application, not expecting anything much really, we have £22,000 gross - so far. We have to pay 18% to [name redacted] so that takes it down to about £18,000 net - but then if I hadn't used them, I wouldn't have done it.

Claim - even if it is speculative - very very worth it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 May 2019 at 8:25PM
    Options
    we have £22,000 gross - so far. We have to pay 18% to CMC so that takes it down to about £18,000 net -
    So £4000 (plus VAT) to that Claim Company for simply putting a stamp on the envelope containing your complaint? :eek:
  • Caeraupracter
    Caeraupracter Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    edited 30 May 2019 at 7:18PM
    Options
    Or... +£18,000 when not expecting anything.

plus probably more to come.

Perhaps you missed the bits where I said I had no memory of even having a loan with MBNA. The credit card I paid off in 2000ish - not a clue what the number was.
    Lloyds I could may be have done myself sure - but then we would not even have considered complaining on my wife's PPI as they allegedly already paid her out - and that's the biggest payout of the lot.

Very glad I went with them - wouldn't have done it if I hadn't used them - I have no regrets.

And actually the 18% includes the VAT - they claim their fee is the lowest on the market at 15% - though clearly that's a bit disingenuous.

Do not get me wrong however, if I had account numbers still and realised we'd even had the PPI on some of these - for sure I'd have done it myself, do it yourself if you can..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    And actually the 18% includes the VAT - they claim their fee is the lowest on the market at 15% -
    If the Claims Company didn't need account numbers then neither did you. :eek:

Do you work for this firm?

If so, such spam is against forum rules ..
  • Caeraupracter
    Options
    Why are you being so aggressive? No matter - I am happy even if you seem not to be

I just called them disingenuous - so no I do not work for them.

I am posting what I consider a success story - how would you propose people make a claim if they do not even remember that they had an account/loan with a company?

Especially, as in my wife's case - she had been already paid out by Lloyds as far as we knew. I'd actually be interested in hearing if anyone has a similar case - where they were contacted a few years back *by the bank* - and paid out - yet later on it was discovered essentially by accident, that they were horribly underpaid in fact (i.e. ripped off). (Actually that was really mainly why I posted).

If you consider me stupid for using a claim firm then that's fine. Is it a requirement that you used Martin's letter for you claim on this forum? I saw it as a question at the top of the thread - not a compulsory thing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    £4000 is an outrageous amount, regardless of it being the "lowest on the market"

Far from being "aggressive", I'm simply countering your promotion of this Claim Company.

Instead of approaching the Claim Company, you could just have easily approached the Bank about any "additional" finance that may have had PPI.
  • Caeraupracter
    Options
    Not trying to promote them - I've redacted their name above if it makes you happy. Just trying to tell my story.

Yes I *could* have - but I would never have actually done so - I know this for fact. And as I said - we were simply unaware that much of it even existed so double would not have ever even known to complain.
    And at the risk of repeating myself - my wife had already been paid out by Lloyds as far as we knew.
    I wonder how many others *think* they've been paid out fairly by the banks when they haven't been.

Anwyway, this starts to get circular - the bit in bold is what I'd be interested to hear if we're not unique on this one.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    And at the risk of repeating myself - my wife had already been paid out by Lloyds as far as we knew.
    I wonder how many others *think* they've been paid out fairly by the banks when they haven't been.
    As a final (repeated) response, you didn't need to spend £4K to find this out. Instead of approaching a CMC (whose name still appears in your earlier posts) you could have simply approached the Bank(s) directly..
  • Caeraupracter
    Options
    Sorry not any more - feel free to remove it from your quote ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sorry not any more - feel free to remove it from your quote ;)
    I've also removed the spam marker from your posts ;)

Still, £4K for a stamp is ridiculous...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure