PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying first house (Budget 300K) - opinions would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Retired_Mortgage_Adviser
    Retired_Mortgage_Adviser Posts: 590 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 September 2019 at 6:55PM
    300k budget, working near liv street station, happy to spend 90 minutes on the journey to work, is there any particular reason you're not looking eastwards on the Elizabeth Line (Crossrail) as that would appear to be the most logical area in my eyes?

Once you go past Romford, you might well get a 2 bed house for that budget.
    AndreeaG wrote: »
    We work in Shoreditch and we need to travel daily to Liverpool Street Station OR Shoreditch High Street Station.

In regards to the journey time, we are looking at around 1hour 30min max per journey.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    My advice would be that if you want a garden, don't get a first floor maisonette.... you'll quickly find that you have everything indoors you need - and can't see a reason to gather up what you want... traipse down the stairs, to sit in a garden .... it just won't happen.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    Personally I’d prefer somewhere like Manor Park (I don’t much like Greenford either, though it is many moons since I have been there and it may have changed).

I’d also be wondering about using Thameslink

They are building a new estate on the old Glaxo site but around the station it hasn't changed at all. It is still not very nice in my opinion. There are nice places to live.
  • Maisonettes are the bomb as far as I'm concerned and basically all I'm willing to buy in London until such time that I can afford a house!

I think you should buy whatever you like if you like it enough but I feel very strongly that brexit or the spectre of it has affected the prices of properties that once upon a time sellers would have chanced at pricing much higher. This is not true of all places, of course. Properties with solid, desirable features and floorplans seems to keep value. But the weirder ones - the ones that are awkward or require lots of imagination: they dip.

The property I'm buying right now was on for 525k last year, when I first went to see it. Over 3 months the seller brought it down to 500k, then 475k... I got it for 462k.

The estate agent told me they'd originally wanted to put it on sale for 625k two years ago. And I would have believed it as that was around the time when I last looked myself; prices were totally in line with this level of confidence.

Now market seems quieter and seller are less sure they can hold buyers dedication.

Only problem for me was as it got closer to the original brexit deadline the properties I wanted dried up! Then they started to emerge again (a little)... almost like everyone realised they can't predict how the political landscape is gonna pan out and stopped giving so many 'you know whats'.

My advice is don't wait if you've already found something you like. But don't be surprised if among all this brexit confusion some of the properties you like drop in price over the next few months!
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Wouldn't have thought Greenford would make much sense for Shoreditch. Do you need to be that way for family or anything?
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Not been there a while but Greenford never got gentrified and was always a bit of a dump, sorry. If I were you I'd look to Essex - you can get to Liverpool St easily and will get more for your money, albeit a season ticket will probably be north of 5k.
  • hazyjo
    robatwork wrote: »
    Not been there a while but Greenford never got gentrified and was always a bit of a dump, sorry. If I were you I'd look to Essex - you can get to Liverpool St easily and will get more for your money, albeit a season ticket will probably be north of 5k.

Agree (apart from price - my Leigh on Sea ticket is less than that and I'm quite far out). Was going to suggest that, and E4 where I used to live. Could just afford some nice areas. Know enough about Greenford to know it wouldn't be my first choice. In fact, I don't think it would even make my list :/
  • I live in romford and I work at liverpool street. I live 3 minute walk to bus stop which gets me to romford station or you can get another bus to Newbury park in 10 minute. I'm actually selling my flat too. On the market for £240k. 91 years on lease. £10 ground rent & £64 a month service charge which includes building insurance etc. Romford ain't bad. Really good and easy to get in city

Take a look
    rightmove.co.uk/s6p/74004943
  • hazyjo
    Cheffy123 wrote: »
    I live in romford and I work at liverpool street. I live 3 minute walk to bus stop which gets me to romford station or you can get another bus to Newbury park in 10 minute. I'm actually selling my flat too. On the market for £240k. 91 years on lease. £10 ground rent & £64 a month service charge which includes building insurance etc. Romford ain't bad. Really good and easy to get in city

Take a look
    rightmove.co.uk/s6p/74004943
    Such a small world. My ex husband lived next door in Winston Close. Stayed there many a time :)
  • Ahhh small world. Only moved here 4 years ago. Now looking to sell. Hoping to sell soon tbh
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure