Air conditioning for free by accident!

Just returned from a 2 week stay on Kos, one of the first questions we were asked on checking in a hotel was "Do you want air-con? at a price of €140". - €5 per night per room.
I said we will decide after first night when we see if needed.
As OH was unpacking I was mooching around apartment and I could see that 2 of the circuit breakers in consumer unit were tripped. Unit was accessible behind a clear perspex door that was just clipped shut, not locked. Purely out of interest I reset them and air-con units started up, temperature was controllable on keypad, so remote control not needed.
Air-con was needed BTW, so left it on expecting to be charged at checkout, however receptionist checked our room bill at the end of stay, nothing owing, so good result, did feel guilty though, but they should lock the cabinets.
Did re-trip them as we left.
Would you have volunteered to pay if not asked?

Comments

• Absolutely Not......consider it a little victory:beer:

I hate going to hotels that have loads of extras.......Malta is a good example any excuse to charge extra for aircon/wifi/safe etc
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Wasn't really by accident though was it, given that you had a play and got it going then left it running until you turned it off again when you left, so your title is a little disingenuous.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    elsien wrote: »
    Wasn't really by accident though was it, given that you had a play and got it going then left it running until you turned it off again when you left, so your title is a little disingenuous.

Well, I didn't know what they were for initially, but if prompted to pay at end of stay I wouldn't have argued, didn't know whether they had some sort of meter to show which rooms were using it.
    Big hotel, not a small privately owned apartment, would probably have volunteered to pay if it had have been.
  • So you didn’t/haven’t paid for something you used and should have paid for.

Wonder how long it will be before you come paid complaining about having to pay for something you didn’t use.

Yes you “won” but morally you know you are in the wrong. Why did you not question it on checking out?
  • Just re- read you latest post.

So it’s ok to steal from a big hotel but not a small hotel ?
  • z1a
    Just re- read you latest post.

I'll assume that the charge was for the RC rental, which I didn't get, So I stole nothing!
  • z1a

Yes you “won” but morally you know you are in the wrong. Why did you not question it on checking out?

Like you would?
  • Of course I would, same as I would question if they had charged for something I hadn’t used.
    Guess my moral compass is t aligned with yours
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just re- read you latest post.

Yes, that seemed odd reasoning to me. It's like I couldn't have looked the owner of a small hotel in the face and conned them but I could a 'faceless' employee of a big chain.

I'm reluctant to condemn OP as we're none of us perfect but I know if I'd done something like this I wouldn't be starting a thread to tell everyone about it.
  • z1a
    maman wrote: »
    Yes, that seemed odd reasoning to me. It's like I couldn't have looked the owner of a small hotel in the face and conned them but I could a 'faceless' employee of a big chain.

I'm reluctant to condemn OP as we're none of us perfect but I know if I'd done something like this I wouldn't be starting a thread to tell everyone about it.

When the "big chain" was charging €3 for a 250ml beer poolside, I think they can stand the loss. Typical prices in local area were €2.5 - €3.5 per 500ml.

Pretty anonymous on here, so no qualms about posting.
    I'd guess that a few people reading this will look closely at their rooms before paying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure