PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Changing leaded glass in uPVC to plain wouldn't put buyers off, right?

Comments

• pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Our is a 1990 mock-Tudor suburban house. :rotfl: Houses around us a mixture of styles (not all mock-Tudor) and not all the mock-Tudor ones still have leaded glass (though probably more do than not).

Sorry - should have clarified - no plans to sell, or we definitely wouldn't be doing it. It's not a house we'll be in for life though.

Thanks all - confirmed what I thought.
  • pinklady21
    pinklady21 Posts: 870 Forumite
    If you hate the windows that much, why did you buy the house? Did you already factor in the cost of changing the windows?

I hate nasty upvc mock leaded windows too, and it would put me off even looking at a place, far less buying it! That said, if everything else about the house worked for me, then windows can always be changed at a price......
  • You've just said you won't be in it for life though - so personally I think you'll be wasting your money to spend that much on a house and it's not worth the spend for anything other than a Forever Home house.

Each to their own....but it wouldnt be my judgement and I'd just grit my teeth and look at them personally (albeit groaning as I did so).
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 April 2018 at 6:13PM
    pinkteapot wrote: »
    One of the guys who came to quote said he does more jobs changing plain to leaded! I know leaded is more expensive - is it seen as 'better'?

Surely in that case he can do the opposite for you incredibly cheaply. Take the clear units from another job he's done and then use your leaded units for someone else :)
  • goodwithsaving
    goodwithsaving Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I can't stand leaded windows and would want to change them too. It depends how many there are. My windows are still okay but are very old and the seals are starting to go. I'm changing them now.
    Same in previous places I've lived in where I ended up moving shortly after. Do I regret spending 3-4k on windows just before selling? No. New windows would be a big bonus if I was buying somewhere.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Massive waste of money unless the units have, or are about to fail - surely you can think of something better to spend it on?!?

But if you've got tens of thousands of pounds burning a uPVC shaped hole in your pocket you could consider replacing the windows on the back and sides of the house to the ones you want, whilst leaving the front ones as they are, thus retaining the same visual style as the rest of the street.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The house I'm in the process of purchasing has leaded UPVC windows, but the square lead shape, not diamond shape.

I don't mind the square ones too much but don't especially like the diamond ones.

The house next door has plain glass, but they are a really cheap-looking UPVC window frame shape, with no opening windows. Compared to their windows, I don't mind "my" leaded new windows at all.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I don't like mock leaded windows but I don't think I'd bother changing them when selling. Actually I don't like UPVC windows one bit.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't like the mock leading either and a few of our neighbours coming up to their second replacement since the houses were new have had plain glass again, except where they have a solid door with coloured glass pattern.

I don't like old genuine leading either as it is irregular but the only choice in old times as they didn't know how to make plate glass.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I don't see it as a waste of money - depends on the OP's perspective, the house involved, enough light in house, quality of glass in them at the moment... so many factors, so I think those saying "waste of money" are missing the point. I might as well point at 83.7% of those with iPhones and say "waste of money"... OP, if you want to do it for your "home", why not?

It was a style, popular in the 70's and 80's, and is getting less fashionable. I suspect two identical 1990's houses, one with leaded glass, one without, would sell for the same price, give or take a fiver, but the plain glass would be slightly/considerably easier to sell.

Given the OP is in no hurry to sell, the loss on investment may be minimal. Replacing the glass only in window frames is pretty cheap, especially if you ring round a few fitters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure