PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Monthly meal plans

Comments

• Thanks again all of you. It is sort of ideas for meals that I am struggling with to actually try and get started. klbooth or S-Wales-Saver would you mind posting an example of one of your actual monthly meal plans?
  • klbooth
    klbooth Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Maiden_Mum wrote: »
    Thanks again all of you. It is sort of ideas for meals that I am struggling with to actually try and get started. klbooth or S-Wales-Saver would you mind posting an example of one of your actual monthly meal plans?

Sorry Maidenmum I missed your reply in the depths of the forum, am at work at the minute but will do this for you tomorrow when home.
  • klbooth
    Hi maiden Mum, here is a list of meals we have had this month
    Spaghetti Bolognaise
    Beef Stew (slow cooker)
    Sticky BBQ Chicken
    Fish and Chips
    Meatballs and Spaghetti
    Homemade pizzas
    BBQ Ribs
    Fish Pie
    Meat Pie/Sausage Rolls and Chips
    Korean Grilled Chicken
    Roast Dinner
    Lemonade chicken
    Gammon Steaks
    Creamy Bacon Pasta
    Honey Soy Chicken Wings
    Sausages
    Fajitas
    Buffalo Chicken (actually is made with a homemade BBQ sauce as no-one else in the family will eat spicy food)
    Pizza
    Shredded Chicken Tacos
    Nachos
    Pancakes
    Honey Mustard Chicken
    Lasagne
    Poached Eggs

I also schedule YOYO (You're on your Own) for some Sunday/bank holiday nights when I am working the weekend and have an early start that night so don't have time to get sleep and cook dinner. It is a time for them to be creative!!! Although I think toasted cheese sandwiches is a common occurrence.

Some meals that didn't make the list for January include

Sweet and Sour
    Burgers and Chips
    Enchiladas
    omellettes
    Baked Mozzarella Chicken
    Sausage Casserole
    Homemade Chicken Nuggets and Chips
    Chicken Schznitzel
    Chops

Hope they help a bit, my family is not very adventurous but i keep trying different recipes when I have time and occasionally they pass the test of being liked by 2 out of 3 of them which is enough for me. I think the kids actually have a pact to never like the same meal as each other, it is a thing I think.....
  • S_Wales_Saver
    S_Wales_Saver Posts: 241 Forumite
    edited 27 January 2018 at 8:11PM
    No problem MaidenMum
    This is this months plan.

01/01/2018 Salmon parcels
    02/01/2018 Sweet& sour chicken, stir fried vegetables & egg fried rice
    03/01/2018 Pizza/prawn salad Egg & chips
    04/01/2018 Fish & chips Cheese on toast
    05/01/2018 Out
    06/01/2018 Chicken saag masala Butter chicken
    07/01/2018 Chicken & Mediterranean vegetables Chicken strips,
    08/01/2018 Chilli/soup Pizza
    09/01/2018 Moussaka & chips Cheesy beans
    10/01/2018 Sweet chilli chicken, savoury rice & salad
    11/01/2018 Salmon, new pots, green beans & hollandaise sauce
    12/01/2018 Spaghetti bolognaise & garlic bread.
    13/01/2018 Freezer dive curry Out then soup
    14/01/2018 Fish gougons & chips Fish & chips
    15/01/2018 Spicy prawns & salad Cheese sandwich/toast
    16/01/2018 Pizza night
    17/01/2018 Spicy chicken rice & salad
    18/01/2018 Chicken chasseur, rice
    19/01/2018 Lasagne, salad & garlic bread
    20/01/2018 Chicken jalfresi Chicken korma
    21/01/2018 Chicken dinner
    22/01/2018 Fish, new potatoes, peas & parsley sauce
    23/01/2018 S f chicken & wedges Chicken strips & spaghetti hoops
    24/01/2018 Breakfast
    25/01/2018 Corned beef hash
    26/01/2018 Pasta bake
    27/01/2018 Chicken balti Butter chicken
    28/01/2018 Chicken, new potatoes & salad
    29/01/2018 Fish & chips Baked potato with beans/chilli
    30/01/2018 Burgers in buns with salad
    31/01/2018 Chicken Provençal Fish fingers & chips

Something I found useful was to make a list of all the meals we like. Ask everyone in the family as well. That’s how the old favourites that you somehow have just stopped cooking resurrect themselves. You need about 40 although some will be very similar eg savoury mince, chilli, spaghetti bolognaise. Just a change of flavours and sides.

If you don’t have enough, try cooking one new thing a week (or twice a month whatever) and add those that are enjoyed. The supermarket websites have good everyday meals.

ALWAYS freeze leftovers. They are great for the days you really cba:rotfl: The pasta bake yesterday was actually a large portion of chilli beef pasta, two single portions of chargrilled chicken pasta and a portion of pasta marinara for the veggie. Heated in the microwave, with some salad and a garlic baguette and everyone was fed well. I’ve done the same with a selection of curries.

Above all the plan should work for YOU not make life more difficult, so don’t add recipes that are a) too expensive b) too time consuming.

Next month I’ll start by looking at the things that didn’t make it this month - faggots & peas, sausage and mash, lamb chops, fish pie, add in the requests from the twins and go from there. Shout out if you need any more info or ideas - I can waffle on for ages lol.

Dor

Forgot to say - where 2 meals are showing the second is the twins’ dinner on activity nights.
    Dor
  • Wow thank you Klbooth South_Wales_Saver - that was exactly the sort of thing that I was looking for.

It sounds like you both eat some lovely dishes!

Only thing is I now might need to bother you both for some of the recipes!
  • klbooth
    Maiden_Mum wrote: »
    Wow thank you Klbooth South_Wales_Saver - that was exactly the sort of thing that I was looking for.

It sounds like you both eat some lovely dishes!

Only thing is I now might need to bother you both for some of the recipes!

That's no problems, anything off my list you are curious about just ask, I promise they are all super easy and quick because I have no time most evenings so it is all a rush. :)
  • Ask away my dear :beer:
    Dor
  • Ok you said it!

klbooth - the lemonade chicken (only heard of diet coke chicken!), korean chicken, shredded chicken tacos and buffalo chicken?

S_Wales_Saver - sweet chilli chicken and savoury rice, spicy chicken rice, chicken balti and chilli beef pasta?

I've just googled Korean chicken & that sounds nice as well!
  • klbooth
    INGREDIENTS
    4 (6-oz.) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
    1 (6-oz.) can frozen lemonade concentrate
    1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
    2 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 (1-inch) piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and chopped
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

METHOD
    In a blender, combine frozen lemonade concentrate, soy sauce, garlic, gingerroot, paprika and black pepper; blend until smooth.

Place chicken in a 1-quart freezer bag and pour half of the lemonade mixture on top; seal the bag and toss to coat. Carefully squeeze the bag to force out any air then seal the bag.
    Place remaining lemonade mixture in a second 1-quart freezer bag; carefully squeeze the bag to force out any air then seal the bag. Freeze.

Defrost night before (or on the day if as forgetful as I am)

Preheat outdoor grill (I just use indoor grill as am in the UK....) to medium-high heat. Lightly grease grill with olive oil. Remove chicken from freezer bag and discard marinade. Cover and grill chicken 10 minutes each side, basting occasionally with lemonade marinade from second freezer bag.

LEMONADE CONCENTRATE
    Ingredients
    Makes: 750 ml lemonade concentrate
    • 375g caster sugar
    • 250ml water
    • 375ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
    Preparation method
    Prep: 10 mins |Cook: 5 mins | Extra time: 10 mins, cooling
    1. Heat the caster sugar and water in a medium saucepan until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool for 10 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice. You can freeze this concentrate for up to 6 months.

I make up 4 lots of Lemonade Chicken and freeze them, then it is just a case of defrosting and grilling. The recipe for lemonade concentrate is about right for 4 lots of lemonade chicken.
  • klbooth
    INGREDIENTS
    4 (6-oz.) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
    1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
    1 (1-inch) piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and minced
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    3 cloves garlic, sliced

METHOD
    Combine all ingredients in a 1-gallon zippered plastic freezer storage bag, gently squeezing to coat. Carefully squeeze out excess air before sealing. Freeze.

Defrost.

Preheat indoor or outdoor grill for medium-high heat. Lightly grease grill grate with olive oil. Place chicken breasts on grill, discarding marinade. Grill 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until cooked through and juices run clear.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure