PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Gas leak advice!

Comments

• JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    OP it's a shame you have chosen to leave this thread because you have been given a whole heap of information that will be useful to you now and in the future.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Tenants are usually responsible for ther own gas bills.

All gas bills prominantly display the emergency number for gas leaks. Having said that, where there's a leak on the user's side of the mains switch/meter, Tranco won't fix it - they'll just turn off the gas to make the property safe, and advise the user to get a Gassafe engineer in.

A CO alarm is a sensible idea.
  • G_M who are Transco? They haven't existed for over 10 years now.

For all, because you will need to check their ID.

This map from the ENA shows who your local distribution network is owned by. These are the people who will attend a gas emergency call.
    ena-map-gas-distribution-May17web.jpg
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    For anyone that doesn't know it's a legal obligation to have a label on the gas meter with who to call when you smell gas. Common sense then tells your brain to turn of the gas with the lever at the meter.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 December 2017 at 7:45PM
    Beaut.bebe wrote: »

We took the twins to A&E where we spent 8 hours having my seven week old twins with cannulas in their arms and bloods being taken for carbon monoxide tests. Their second test results came back more acceptable and they were sent home thankfully. Myself and my husband then spent a further 6.5 hours getting ourselves checked, racking up huge car park charges in the process! We also were sent home with barely acceptable levels in our bloods.

Why? Gas leak = nothing to do with carbon monoxide. What did you tell the hospital for them to do these unnecessary tests ?

And if you really did have borderline levels of CO in your blood THEN THE PROBLEM IS LIKELY STILL THERE TURN THE GAS OFF AND GET THE GAS COMPANY IN
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'm curious as to what the "barely acceptable levels [of, presumably CO?] in our bloods" was all about.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm curious as to what the "barely acceptable levels [of, presumably CO?] in our bloods" was all about.

The % hemoglobin destroyed by combining with CO is measured.

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=129669

As others have said, completely pointless for a gas leak.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    But "barely acceptable"? That suggests that by coincidence there is a carbon monoxide source in the house, or it's an emotional descriptor crated by the OP to embellish the story.
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I recently used a breathalyser type device to test me for carbon monoxide in my pregnancy. My midwife brought it to the house. I scored zero (non smoker). I asked what levels my midwife had seen and I think she said up to 11 in a smoker. I don't know what the units mean.

OP if your family have levels of carbon monoxide which concerned the medical staff get onto it - a leak can cause you to go to sleep and not wake up. I believe feeling very tired or flu like and headaches can be symptoms.

Tlc
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    But "barely acceptable"? That suggests that by coincidence there is a carbon monoxide source in the house, or it's an emotional descriptor crated by the OP to embellish the story.

My money is on the latter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport