sold shares ignorant of CGT. Any way I can avoid?

Options
2»

Comments

• capital0ne
    Options
    Holding shares in a single company, means that any gains you have made over the years can totally vanish overnight, so repurchasing the lot is probably not the best idea.
    Carillion is a fine example - £2.50 - £0.17 in less than a year
    Interserve £3.50 - £0.80 in less than a year
    Babcock £9.70 - £6.70 in six months
  • mubeye
    mubeye Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    capital0ne wrote: »

Yeah true, but in this case it was a USA tracker fund.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    capital0ne wrote: »

But if a theme there....
  • mubeye
    mubeye Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 November 2017 at 8:10PM
    Options
    Hmm , you think these three are leading indicators or something? Main theme I’m interested in is long term trends. Ftse is not showing obvious signs of crashing right now?

But anyway none of those businesses are listed in the US so probably not the best canaries re the OP.

Main question is, do I expect USA economy to crash by 2018 apr to extent losses will outweigh 2k Cgt? I think 0% is most likely, (which is a loss in real terms but I’d take it). A crash is possible but I can’t see the start of it personally... and I’m not going to actively short the US right now , I think this run could have a few months left, for all I know.

Probably more informed people than me, are already seeing it starting to crash, but I can’t see it from the stands , so I think holding is safest plan.

You would sell now and pay the 2k?
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    On a similar subject, am I right in thinking you only need to inform HMRC of disposals over £45200 if you are required to fill in an annual tax return?
  • Ifts
    Ifts Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    mubeye wrote: »
    I've kept a bit of allowance back as I want to dispose of some riskier shares at some point in next couple of months.

You have already repurchased, but if you were holding any shares that are showing a loss and don't stand any chance of recovering you could sell them and use the loss to offset the gain that you have to pay CGT on.
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    TBC15 wrote: »
    On a similar subject, am I right in thinking you only need to inform HMRC of disposals over £45200 if you are required to fill in an annual tax return?

If you do returns you have to declare disposals over that amount regardless of whether you have made a taxable gain or not. If you don’t do returns you have to declare any taxable gain regardless of the level of disposal.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    Remarkable how many people have a second accident within a few seconds of the first - because they are flustered.
    I suppose repurchasing all the shares, instead of just part, would be the financial equivalent of that.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If you do returns you have to declare disposals over that amount regardless of whether you have made a taxable gain or not. If you don’t do returns you have to declare any taxable gain regardless of the level of disposal.

I take it a taxable gain is anything over £11300?
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mubeye wrote: »
    Hmm , you think these three are leading indicators or something? Main theme I’m interested in is long term trends. Ftse is not showing obvious signs of crashing right now?

But anyway none of those businesses are listed in the US so probably not the best canaries re the OP.

Main question is, do I expect USA economy to crash by 2018 apr to extent losses will outweigh 2k Cgt? I think 0% is most likely, (which is a loss in real terms but I’d take it). A crash is possible but I can’t see the start of it personally... and I’m not going to actively short the US right now , I think this run could have a few months left, for all I know.

Probably more informed people than me, are already seeing it starting to crash, but I can’t see it from the stands , so I think holding is safest plan.

You would sell now and pay the 2k?

I was thinking sector, so infrastructure and related construction services.

It was mentioned in another thread that HICL had a significant holding in Carillion and infrastructure is the new black for many, near guaranteed returns with low interest rates ahs pushed assets to premiums. In those situations where the construction arm is owned by or invested in by the infrastructure owner/ provider, or there is a significant risk that the collapse of a Contractor will have a large impact on project progress/ completion. revenue then the fallout could be serious.

It's an area that I've not seen highlighted before, and whilst these guys may well have contractors tied up with penalty clauses etc then if they go bust it's the owner/ supplier who'll be left with the liability.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure