Owl intuition con

Comments

• chris_n
    chris_n Posts: 615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 November 2017 at 11:43PM
    You also can't change any of the settings, i.e. temperatures, timers etc.
    They are also ignoring my questions about what is going on and how hiding things like this in Ts&Cs is outside of Government guidelines. You can see where the www should go > gov.uk/guidance/unfair-terms-explained-for-businesses-full-guide
    Quote under the heading Common myths about contract terms
    “You can hide things in the contractual small print”
    You must make it easy for customers to read the important terms in a contract and highlight anything that could come as a surprise or may have a significant impact on them. Otherwise the term may be unfair and unenforceable.
    Living the dream in the Austrian Alps.
  • When I had my solar panels fitted by Hannergy (based in IKEA) OWLintuition was fitted to monitor the system. Early last year after receiving an email from OWL (their webshop page is no longer) I bought a thermostat and relay and added them to the system myself. Cost me £100. It was a nightmare configuring them and when finished the system dropped out continually to the point that when British Gas offered me HIVE after servicing my boiler I cut my losses and had it fitted. After receiving that email I suspected that they were finished and that it was a cynical perhaps illegal attempt to rescue the business. If it’s going bust maybe it’s because its crap and Hive are doing for it. This attempt to get this amount of money off customers is a disgrace and you may be throwing good money after bad. I don’t know what I am going to do now with my solar monitoring system. Any ideas would be welcome.
  • chris_n
    chris_n Posts: 615 Forumite
    Just to be clear, the webshop is still there and fully functional.
    Since I received the email they have changed the homepage and the support pages to reflect the change to a subscription model.
    I don't object to paying for a service but do object to the fact that this was hidden away in the Ts&Cs. There are still numerous outlets selling these on the net that state no subscription is required.
    Living the dream in the Austrian Alps.
  • Ok. I just followed the link from their original email which did not work
    I agree that perhaps a very small charge may be appropriate, but the way they are doing it is blackmail. Equally - none of this was explained to me when I signed on!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    looking a bit further

OWL is the holding company for the real one behind the products

2 save energy Limited
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05626628

looked to be solvent in the 2015 accounts(net equity £52k), loads of finance juggling through 2016 as a lot was due through 2016, with the 2016 accounts showing(negative equity of £36k).
    P&L : 2015 £14k, 2016 (£74k)

That's a big turnaround.

Dec 16 they changed registered address from the manufacturing place in Basingstoke to a private house in Camberley.

note the director departures looks like Business development director and sales director bailed out in 2016
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/6kqa9TJkiJwLHdvLiLz4XXiRy9A/appointments
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/M07a6K1T_9kqtV5UZLJJVSeAHIU/appointments

The later moving onto a new product EcoPilot.

then there is the Telepure Limited which they say developed the cloud platform

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06038597
  • getmore4less
    AS long as they don't cripple the devices and the network protocol is known it will be possible to change the DST.

When I researched smart options it was clear to me there was a potential for subscription.
    I like the product enough to put the effort into keeping it working

Also knew the risk of them not surviving was VERY high as the Hive, Nest options were on massive advertising budgets, with BG behind Hive and the current heating control manufacturers that could go smart very quickly and have the support of the plumbing industry(plumbers like their brands) the little boy new entrant had no chance if they did not have a get bought out strategy for the platform.
  • Alpha_5
    Alpha_5 Posts: 136 Forumite
    I got my heating controller for free a few years back when First Utility were doing a customer trial. I certainly won't be paying the subscription though.

I've found it quite temperamental, some times it wouldn't switch on, other times it wouldn't switch off - I woke up to find the house a sweltering 27° earlier in the year. The other half will be pleased though - she's always struggled to work it.
  • Mel_Frank
    Mel_Frank Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 16 November 2017 at 9:50PM
    Well I think I've decided after searching the web etc.
    The company is now run by a one man band,
    The business is now being run from a private house.
    All other Directors left last year about the time the debts went up
    The technology is way behind the competition,
    The others don't charge for Internet access.
    The company had over £66k of debts in the last company accounts.
    They Haven't released or updated any software or hardware for ages.
    Same old web site, same old APP.

For me, it's time to ditch Owl and get some up to date gear, I need stability in my home control.
    I'll take the hit for happiness and peace of mind
  • ij21
    ij21 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 17 November 2017 at 7:22AM
    I think that may be a good decision Mel. It’s effectively what I did when I had OWL removed and Hive installed. You have to have full control of your heating and the constant dropping out was leaving me cold at times. I live in an old house and it’s necessary to boost the system. It seemed to drop out at the same time every day which I think would indicate a bug in their software. When I got a bit snotty on Twitter they blocked me. I’ve been in touch with Hannergy who supplied my PV system, I am the first to contact them. Of course they deny any responsibility. Hannergy say OWL will switch off services to people who dont pay. If they aren’t doomed I would be very surprised!
  • getmore4less
    Mine has been reliable.

I just need a standalone interface to keep it working if their server goes down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure