PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help please - no viewings :(

Comments

• Thank you Red Squirrel - great practical tips and easy and cheap to fix too - and not at all harsh. We need to know what might put people off (or what might entice them in). I've sent the kids off for a sleepover with grandma so I can make some of the changes you suggest and get some better photos at least as a stopgap until we can get someone out to come and do them 'properly' (we have a friend who is a photographer but is away a few weeks).

I feel a bit silly not thinking about the beds being against the wall - we only have them there to minimise the kids falling out but it definitely sends out the wrong message!

Oh and for the record the fish doesn't live in that tank any more!
  • Also, I've just realised why people think the bedroom in photo 5 is in the corridor - the 'stairwell' in the pictures is actually a chest of drawers (with an integral changing table). Definitely need a better photo!
  • MoneyGeoff
    MoneyGeoff Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 July 2017 at 12:39PM
    Click on the market info tab under your property and look at the recently sold ones eg this one sold for £130K:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/12-the-wharf/knottingley/wf11-8bt/40491537

and this one for £121K:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/15-the-wharf/knottingley/wf11-8bt/41241187

they sold within the last 12 months and prices have dropped 3% in that period in your postcode:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/house-prices/browse/wf11/?q=WF11

So mentioning £130K in your guide price would put people off given the above one sold for £130K and looks a lot better than yours.

Looks like your ad says £120K now, so that might be OK. Maybe be reduce it a little bit further if you don't get any viewings. And get better photos!
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As I said - Offers over 100k and take it from there. Sentiment is being hit daily as the media are now banging the "house prices need to crash" drum, so don`t hang round.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've sent the kids off for a sleepover with grandma so I can make some of the changes you suggest and get some better photos at least as a stopgap until we can get someone out to come and do them 'properly'

You mentioned in an earlier post whether people would find it odd if the rooms were 'dressed' for the photos and then looked different when people viewed.

I didn't find this the case when I was selling my Dad's house. We were gradually thinning out the furniture during the sale process so borrowed some furniture and moved other stuff around for the photos to show the rooms off to their best.

It didn't seem to matter that the rooms looked different during viewings because, once you're in the house, you can see how big the rooms are and are already thinking of how your own furniture will fit in.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    MoneyGeoff wrote: »
    Click on the market info tab under your property and look at the recently sold ones eg this one sold for £130K:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/12-the-wharf/knottingley/wf11-8bt/40491537

and this one for £121K:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/15-the-wharf/knottingley/wf11-8bt/41241187

they sold within the last 12 months and prices have dropped 3% in that period in your postcode:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/house-prices/browse/wf11/?q=WF11

So mentioning £130K in your guide price would put people off given the above one sold for £130K and looks a lot better than yours.

Looks like your ad says £120K now, so that might be OK. Maybe be reduce it a little bit further if you don't get any viewings. And get better photos!

Using the price tool/app is interesting, absolutely nothing selling in some postcodes, and prices dropping 2 -3% in many places, and more no doubt. Very interesting.
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Put Crashy on your ignore list then you don't even read his tripe. I can see as usual he posts continuously in this thread but unless someone quotes I don't see his garbage.
  • Well I called the EA at lunchtime and asked them to find some better pictures of the kitchen that at least show the dining table. They said they have found 2 better photos so they should be on the site soon - although I will still do some de-cluttering and address the issues in this post and take more pictures (As we know their idea of 'better' pictures could still be terrible/dark/cut at a weird angle!). For some reason they won't send me the pictures to choose myself. We are tied in with them for another 8 weeks so I guess we need to make the best of it with or without their help!
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Well I called the EA at lunchtime and asked them to find some better pictures of the kitchen that at least show the dining table. They said they have found 2 better photos so they should be on the site soon - although I will still do some de-cluttering and address the issues in this post and take more pictures (As we know their idea of 'better' pictures could still be terrible/dark/cut at a weird angle!). For some reason they won't send me the pictures to choose myself. We are tied in with them for another 8 weeks so I guess we need to make the best of it with or without their help!

I could take better pictures myself on my phone! When you've done your mini-makeover insist on all new ones and that you will check and veto them before they go live. When I sold my last place I followed the agent round and basically directed him what to take, I was over his shoulder the whole time. Its ok to do that as long as you're nice and polite about it!

Remember that you are paying them, don't be too meek. :o
  • Thanks Red Squirrel. I naively let the EA get on with the photographs and tried to stay out of his way as much as possible. This is my first time selling a house and I certainly won't make that mistake again!
    The EA are still adamant that the photos are fine and think I am being silly asking for them to be changed so I really do appreciate having your feedback. I feel like I might as well have listed it with one of those online agents and saved the commission (or 'use' it to reduce the price) - I thought I was paying for their guidance and expertise (again naïve first time seller obviously!). I felt a bit lost before but I feel like I have some direction now so thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure