£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• Treadingonplaymobil
    Treadingonplaymobil Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 September 2017 at 7:54AM
    Options
    Week 31: Day 6

Had a good coffee yesterday - I think the work will come off. Not amazingly well paid (and not until next year), but something I love, and it might lead onto other things.

No childcare on Fridays, so will be hanging out with DC3 today and getting final bits for DC1's birthday (sweets to decorate cake, party bags).

List largely unchanged from yesterday, since I'm am having the world's least productive week.

to do today
    1. bake sourdough (attempting fancy new recipe involving overnight proving).
    2. make dal for dinner
    3. buy wrapping paper and ribbon for DC1's birthday presents.
    4. organise the tupperware cupboard!
    5. clear some more of the list of non-urgent-but-essential small jobs/emails etc that has carried over every day for the last week because I've been too busy to look at it.
    6. check with school how much I owe for DC1's lunches from the first couple of days of this term (I think I also owe for the last few days of last term too) and pay for them.
    7. many laundry.

to do this week
    1. keep the packed lunches coming in on budget. Going surprisingly well.
    2. pick up the social media again, which has fallen very much by the wayside recently, and does help increase income.
    3. ebay old pram now that DC3 has stopped using it. It's got a broken part, but might get £20 for spares as it was a really expensive one originally (nine years ago! One of those 'buy better, buy once' incidents, where we researched obsessively for weeks and ended up with the perfect pram, which has survived all three DC and only broke a couple of weeks ago Good timing, as DC3 is 3.5).

to do this month
    1. keep the total spend for the month below £3,500 (last month was miles better than the previous average £3,900, going to try to repeat the feat).
    2. get my new website finished and launched (crosses fingers, toes and eyes).
    3. just work as much as possible and make some money back to recover the enormous shortfall that faces us this month!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just wanted to say I really enjoy reading your posts. I have no idea how you get so much done in a day and seem so dedicated.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Treadingonplaymobil Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 September 2017 at 6:10AM
    Options
    Week 31: Day 7

Once again, I could basically write the same list for today as I did yesterday. I am getting so little done at the moment while this website is under development. Although (drumroll) I think I am on my last big list of jobs for it today - lots of image sourcing and text editing - and then it will be down to final tweaks and testing before it launches.

The budget continues to be hugely stressful this month. I can feel myself reaching that f*$k it point where the month is so short of reaching the budget that I figure I may as well carry on spending on whatever I want, since the amount on the CC is going up so much anyway. It is really reminding me how all this happened in the first place, but it's not making those feelings go away. We just have so many expenses that one (or two. or five) more spends on the card starts feeling quite insignificant.

edited to add: I am sitting in a different room as I type this morning, and it turns out that this is the room where my usual spider's bigger, beefier relative lives. I hate spider season!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Blackcurrant torte is a good recipe for any lurking frozen berries or a glut. I make it a lot in winter as I freeze pounds of blackcurrant from the garden. The only was I can get children to eat them!

Exciting news that your website will be ready soon.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    I have heard that spiders do not like conkers. No idea how it works - maybe put them near windows/doors? Might be worth a try...
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Hi TOPM. I am sorry that you are finding your money issues so stressful, but please don't give up. Stick to your plan and budget and please please don't spend carelessly on your credit cards. Things will get better provided you keep control of this.

Have a good non spendy weekend
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Hi TOPM, I just wanted to cheer you on from the sidelines a bit. You are doing really well.

Please take a minute on a coffee break to explore how much the replacement part for your pram would be.

We bought a second-hand Silver Cross pram (for £50) when our Son was expected. We bought replacement solid rubber tyres, a few leather straps to replace some knackered looking ones, and a tin of coach paint. We sold it on eBay twelve years later for £350 - I am sure it was the way we described it that enticed people to bid, In your case you could buy the part and then market it in a really positive way as I'm sure the comments about it being well-researched and top of the range will encourage people to want it. Grandparents often want one to keep at theirs so pitching at that market is good.

Just an idea.

By the way, my account is currently overdrawn and the the other one is precarious. I announced to Husband yesterday that I would mostly be using my CC for any more spends this month. Half way through. :o:( What can I say?
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Hi treading. Just wanted to say that I understand your situation. My DH and I built up huge debts when our children were small and had a few light bulb moments, which then flickered and went out.

We were the poorest in our family, and felt too ashamed too admit we couldn't afford to do/buy things. We also didn't want our children to suffer.

Well, a family bereavement and the recession sent us from just about managing, to not managing at all. How I regretted our £58000 debt then!

We've managed to hang onto our home, but our children have suffered and so have we. We are clawing our way out ten years on, but deeply regret our earlier 'laid back' attitude to our debts.

Well done for facing up to it. Don't do what I did and wait for disaster to strike. Cut your spending and get those debts down while you can, because you don't know what's around the corner and it's best to be prepared.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Week 31: Day 7

The budget continues to be hugely stressful this month. I can feel myself reaching that f*$k it point where the month is so short of reaching the budget that I figure I may as well carry on spending on whatever I want, since the amount on the CC is going up so much anyway. It is really reminding me how all this happened in the first place, but it's not making those feelings go away. We just have so many expenses that one (or two. or five) more spends on the card starts feeling quite insignificant.

edited to add: I am sitting in a different room as I type this morning, and it turns out that this is the room where my usual spider's bigger, beefier relative lives. I hate spider season!

You have said several times that it is so tempting once you have overspent to just carry on spending thinking once you perceive you have failed to keep within budget you may as well fail big time. This is common as it is easier to stick your head in the sand and ignore it rather than confront it. I would try to think of it as a climb up a mountain with hollows and dips along the way. Either you end up in a dip or you roll all the way down meaning you have to cover a lot of the ground you have covered all over again. One months setback is just that - a setback. Going back 10 months to the attitude you had then to carry on spending even though you know you are over budget means putting your debt free date back a year rather than a month.

I discovered a huuuge spider last night under my study desk and I hate spiders too so I am typing this on my iPad in a brightly lit room in the vain hope spiders hate light and won't appear. My feet are firmly up on the couch though as I hate the thought of them crawling over my feet. I told my husband last night we are pulling furniture out and hoovering this house from top to bottom today. He just rolled his eyes and says the spider will be long gone. I would really love to be so nonchalant :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Those workshops sound excellent TOPM, what an lovely happy good karma thing to do.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback