Daughter just started work will if effect Housing benefit

We are a family of 5, Me my wife and 3 children, 13 ,15 and17

The 17 year old is doing a full time collage course but at weekends she works 6 to 10 hours per week, Just rang tax credits to renew and they said her wages don’t count on my total income as shes in full timeeducation and works under 24 hours per week.

But will I have to tell the housing benefits office and ifso will I lose any benefit,

At the moment I’m on incapacity benefit and my wife works 2part time jobs and we get housing and council tax benefit
No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No - her part-time working has no impact on your benefits whilst she is in full-time further (secondary) education.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    adwozere wrote: »

The 17 year old is doing a full time collage course but at weekends she works 6 to 10 hours per week, Just rang tax credits to renew and they said her wages don’t count on my total income as shes in full timeeducation and works under 24 hours per week.

But will I have to tell the housing benefits office and ifso will I lose any benefit,

At the moment I’m on incapacity benefit and my wife works 2part time jobs and we get housing and council tax benefit

What does it say on your housing benefits form, I very much doubt it will affect your HB but read your forms and leaflets to be sure.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • adwozere
    adwozere Posts: 499 Forumite
    First Post
    RAS wrote: »
    No - her part-time working has no impact on your benefits whilst she is in full-time further (secondary) education.

Thank you :D
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • alwaysonthego_2
    alwaysonthego_2 Posts: 8,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    adwozere wrote: »

It's always wise to keep the benefits office informed but a 17 year old dependent is treated still as a child and his/her income has no effect. The situation may change when he/she turns 18 but a full time student is still not treated as a non dependent adult - however full time work in vacations would have to be declared and would affect HB.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure