Bad Reference

After a 6 month employment which had mostly gone well my boss and I fell out and I left the company. He had raised a disciplinary regarding a poor presentation I allegedly did (I honestly believe it was not that poor and did not warrant action) and retrospectively I think by defending myself and commenting on the company and his contributing factors he has taken a grudge. At the time he said he would provide a good reference so long as I said nothing negative about him or the company - which I didn't. After a years self employment I decided to return to employed work in the same industry and was horrified to find that he slated me far beyond anything that I feel was ever reasonable and raised issues that had never even been discussed with me while I worked there. Luckily my new employer took his information with a pinch of salt as the guy who gave the reference used to work for him and wasn't entirely convinced. I previously had over 10 years service at my previous employer who has and is still happy to give me a glowing reference, as I'm sure would my current employer whom I have been with 18 months. Is it reasonable to omit this dreadful period on my CV completely given I do not trust him not to slate again and it was only a six month period which was subsequently followed by my self employment? I work in an industry in which reputation is everything and have found the experience deeply damaging and traumatic.

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Many employers including me, no longer give references for fear of being sued. Employers can still give bad references, but only if they are factual. If you believe the reference is false then you can sue for negligent misstatement.
    You need to prove the reference was misleading, has an impact on your future jobs, or reputation or that the reference was issued on discriminatory grounds.

If you do believe you have a case then you need to seek an expert solicitor in employment law, and get his advice.
  • I was so upset at the time and just wanted the whole experience behind me that I stupidly threw out the letter ending my employment so don't think I could prove anything. Like wise it was a telephone reference.

My feelings are that I don't particularly want to drag the experience back up hence not wanting to ever mention my association with their company name again.

My current boss seemed to think that the gentleman who said all these things to me only did so as he knew him personally and felt comfortable doing so and but I do not want to take that chance again.
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    megany1 wrote: »
    After a 6 month employment which had mostly gone well my boss and I fell out and I left the company. He had raised a disciplinary regarding a poor presentation I allegedly did (I honestly believe it was not that poor and did not warrant action) and retrospectively I think by defending myself and commenting on the company and his contributing factors he has taken a grudge. At the time he said he would provide a good reference so long as I said nothing negative about him or the company - which I didn't. After a years self employment I decided to return to employed work in the same industry and was horrified to find that he slated me far beyond anything that I feel was ever reasonable and raised issues that had never even been discussed with me while I worked there. Luckily my new employer took his information with a pinch of salt as the guy who gave the reference used to work for him and wasn't entirely convinced. I previously had over 10 years service at my previous employer who has and is still happy to give me a glowing reference, as I'm sure would my current employer whom I have been with 18 months. Is it reasonable to omit this dreadful period on my CV completely given I do not trust him not to slate again and it was only a six month period which was subsequently followed by my self employment? I work in an industry in which reputation is everything and have found the experience deeply damaging and traumatic.

For future reference your rights regarding references are outlined on the CAB adviceguide website www.adviceguide.org.uk section under basic rights at work but the question you are actually asking is purely a matter of your own personal choice as you understand the industry you are woking in. The time concerned is a relatively short period given the rest of your successful career so you are right to want to limit it's potential impact on you.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Would it be possible to list the years on your CV without quoting the actual month? That way the gap would not be obvious.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure