PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Comments

• luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 December 2014 at 7:29PM
    Jasper Conran shirt for DH, felt like it had never been worn - £1

As it was from the 'big and tall' range it started life at £40 new
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Floss wrote: »
    It's called "coats & 'ats" on Merseyside ;)

We called it 'Cheap & Awful' but still shopped there!!
    Slightly bitter
  • One of these
    lamps8-100x100.jpeg
    Only I paid £3 for mine in Debra. PAT tested and includes a 'free' bulb!
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Popped into town today and our charity shops seem to be having a bit of a clear out. Usually books are £1, but today were 50p. In the other shop they were giving away decorations with every purchase.
    Didn't get anything, but there were 2 lovely pairs of ski boots in the window which looked in really good condition
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have got a TM Lewin blue shirt, a Uniqlo white shirt and a blue denim shirt for my son for the princely sum of £7. Refused to pay £45 for a shirt in M & S just before Christmas. Also a little jewellery holder with ? silver filigree top with bowl underneath (£2) Cleaned up beautifully thanks to soda crystals!
  • A paperback book for 99p (BHF no less)! Plus half-price Christmas cards for next year from various charity shops.
    Normal people worry me.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 January 2015 at 9:49PM
    A couple of packs of reduced christmas cards & a book on CD for my Godmother who is partially sighted. Its narrated by Penelope Keith & 6 discs with over 6 hours listening for £1.99 - bargain!!

Just looked on Amazon & its £23.00!!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    More bad behaviour in charity shops. DH took a car full in the week. Cancer Research wouldn't answer their back door where the drop off point is. Maybe short staffed so we'll give them the benefit of the doubt. So he moved on to AgeUK and had to park awkwardly outside very near a junction. He went into the shop and they just said carry everything through to the back. No offers of help to speed things up.

Today I got the same grumpy woman I've had before in a local Special School shop (I must stop going in on Saturday afternoons). I (helpfully I thought) told her there was a diary in the bag and she might like to put it out soon. She just growled at me that she didn't put things out 'them out the back' do that.

Rant over.;)

On the plus side I got a lovely, good condition bright pink cardigan. It's M&S with satin covered buttons. £4 in the local hospice shop. It'll replace my current one which is getting scruffy but a colour I find very useful.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    edited 10 January 2015 at 8:08PM
    My bargain of the week is a large crock teapot which has a blue flower on it (it complements my dinner service) which cost me £2.50 in a local hospice shop. It is useful if I have meetings at my house as it won't take me long to make a drink now.

I went into the shop and they had two metal teapots on display but they were not really big enough for my needs (plus I didn't want to buy the sugar bowl and milk jugs that came with them), one of the helpers said that she had seen a teapot out back but it hadn't been washed - it was no trouble to go and fetch it and I discovered it was just what I wanted. It hadn't been priced up so they charged me £2.50 and suggested that I go to the cheap shop over the road to get a ltr bottle of baby sterilising fluid for £1 and use that in the water to clean the teapot.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    A paperback book for 99p (BHF no less)!
    I very often do this, the other day I bought a brand new hardback RRP £16.99 for the royal sum of £1. It's an extra incentive to buy it - read it - return it!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure