Help please LPG and leaks!!

I would really appreciate some help from hopefully, someone that understands LPG.

I live in a mobile home and three times I have had a LPG leak. At 5am today I was woken up by a dreadful smell of gas and my cooker has leaked again.

My landlord says it's not dangerous but for the last two weeks I've been very unwell again with flu like symptoms and sleeping all the time. This happened the last time it happened but I didn't put two and two together.

I'm actually scared now as to what LPG can do so would appreciate it if someone can explain a) what is in LPG and b) is it a dangerous leak oh a c) can it cause symptoms of flu etc.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    First turn your gas off at the supply and then Google "Propane inhalation".
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 May 2018 at 8:06PM
    This can kill.

Switch off at the cannister.

So you rent the mobile home? Please explain the type of tenancy? Are the gas appliances the landlord's? Or yours? Has your landlord provided you with a valid gas safety report (annually)?

Have you written to your landlord reporting each leak and requesting a repair?

On the previous occasions, what did the landlord do? Who 'fixed' the leaks? The landlord himslf? A 'handyman'? or a GasSafe registered engineer? Did you check the engineer's GasSafe registration (see here)?
  • Thank you for your replies.

Firstly, the mobile home is part of my husbands job and we don't own the appliances.

We have got a gas certificate for the boiler but not the hob as that was condemned at the last inspection however they got a plumber to fix the hob two weeks ago today and I thought he was registered but have found out today he is not.

I've been ill for two weeks but didn't put two and two together. Since gas was switched off yesterday morning I've felt much better.

I don't know where to go from here? I do appreciate any help.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 May 2018 at 8:02PM
    Thank you for your replies.

Firstly, the mobile home is part of my husbands job and we don't own the appliances.

We have got a gas certificate for the boiler but not the hob as that was condemned at the last inspection however they got a plumber to fix the hob two weeks ago today and I thought he was registered but have found out today he is not.

I've been ill for two weeks but didn't put two and two together. Since gas was switched off yesterday morning I've felt much better.

I don't know where to go from here? I do appreciate any help.
    You have two possible courses of action, depending

* how seriously you wish to pursue this
    * how concerned you are about the relationship with the employer

Or you could do both together.

1) Write formally (yes, a letter) to the landlord/employer, politely pointing out that

a) the cooker was condemned and
    b) it is illegal for a 'plumber' to work on a gas appliance

and asking for a gasSafe registered engineer to undertake an inspection and repair, or to replace the cooker if repair is impossible. Ask for a timescale for this since, obviously, you cannot use either the cooker or the boiler for now as you have had to turn off the gas at the supply cannister.

When the repair man comes, ask to see his GasSafe ID and check it! See my earlier link. If it is not a GasSafe registered engineer do not allow him to undertake any gas work.

2) Report the matter to the Health & Safety Executive.
    See HSE frequently asked questions here.

Or ring the Gas Safety Advice Line (0800 300 363).

Or Report either

* here, or

* via form LGSR1 form LGSR1 here !!
  • Thank you so much for this and I will speak to my husband.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure