Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sadders
    • By sadders 12th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 9Thanks
    sadders
    Dismissed on the grounds of redundancy
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    Dismissed on the grounds of redundancy 12th Jan 18 at 8:59 PM
    I work for the NHS and my position is being made redundant. I have been offered suitable alternative employment which I turned down for versions reasons that I outlined in my formal refusal.

Before I refused I asked for a meeting without predudice. I had two, the first with a senior manager and then with her superior. I was essentially told that they felt the offer was suitable and if I refused it I would be making myself unemployed. There would be no offer of redundancy.

I have just had a formal letter to invite me to a formal notice of redundancy meeting.

In the letter was the following sentence:

Regrettably, I must advise you that the outcome of this meeting is likely to be that you will be issued with formal notice of your dismissal on the grounds of redundancy.

What exactly does this mean? Will there be a formal redundancy with payment or am I just losing my job?

With thanks in advance.
Page 3
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 1st Feb 18, 4:03 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Learn to use forums. Do not add your comments inside quotes.
    Originally posted by seatbeltnoob

Seemingly I've made the same "forum" mistake!
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 1st Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    [QUOTE=Comms69;73815742]It's possible the NHS would commission the Op to provide the service in the community (much like GPs are) but I agree with you on the whole.

I will just add im in a redundancy position now and fully agree regarding any SAE that comes up - though nothing been offered yet, with 7 weeks to go.[/QUOTE]

Good luck - it's not a nice position to be in.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 1st Feb 18, 4:20 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    workers have too many rights, this is why public sector just becomes more and more costly. Because they can't let anyone go, threat of tribunal, refusal to leave and demanding a role elsewhere etc.

It's no wonder the gig economy is booming, because employers have far too much red tape.

I'm guessing OP is in the public sector, utterly dysfunctional and unproductive. So many hangers on

So why are there so many complaints on these boards about "private sector providers"? They must be better surely?

EDIT: what about NHS; education; protection of children; protection of vulnerable adults; refuse collection; highway maintenance etc? Do you make no use of these services?

You're not a FMOTL are you?
    Last edited by Manxman in exile; 01-02-2018 at 4:26 PM. Reason: Add
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 1st Feb 18, 4:31 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    Learn to use forums. Do not add your comments inside quotes.
    Im fine using it the way I like thanks.....
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 1st Feb 18, 5:12 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    Im fine using it the way I like thanks.....
    Originally posted by Comms69
    typical public sector attitude. I guess you need to get on a training programme sanctioned by your union before you will learn to not add your text into another persons quotation.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 1st Feb 18, 5:17 PM
    • 10,667 Posts
    • 8,905 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    typical public sector attitude. I guess you need to get on a training programme sanctioned by your union before you will learn to not add your text into another persons quotation.
    Lots of posters do this, including many well established ones. Often easier to read when the post being commented on runs to several paragraphs
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 1st Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    typical public sector attitude. - i've worked private sector too, I know which ive found more rewarding for both myself and society as a whole I guess you need to get on a training programme sanctioned by your union before you will learn to not add your text into another persons quotation.

Typical nonsense - it's a shame you'd probably be classed as right wing, rather than just loony!

So i'll keep it simple - I can say and do as I wish.
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 1st Feb 18, 6:02 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    What a rude and nasty person you are.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 1st Feb 18, 6:08 PM
    • 20,156 Posts
    • 11,100 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Lots of posters do this
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Indeed they do
    including many well established ones.
    That doesn't make it the correct way to respond.
    Often easier to read
    Really? Easier than this?
    when the post being commented on runs to several paragraphs
    Copy and Paste is your friend..
    I can say and do as I wish.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Well, that's not quite true. Posting is a privilege, not a right.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 1st Feb 18, 6:17 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    So why are there so many complaints on these boards about "private sector providers"? They must be better surely?

EDIT: what about NHS; education; protection of children; protection of vulnerable adults; refuse collection; highway maintenance etc? Do you make no use of these services?

You're not a FMOTL are you?
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    Interesting you mention public services, yes they do a good job. Some very essential jobs, but the public sector is overstretched. They have financial cutbacks. So if they cannot afford to employ you anymore, jog on and find another job. A tribunal costs them a lot of money. The cost of defending themselves in a tribunal probably costs them the wages of hiring a staff for the entire year

Funny how some people who defend the public sector and public sector will at the same breath recommend someone fired by the public sector go speak to unions and take them to a tribunal.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 1st Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    Lots of posters do this, including many well established ones. Often easier to read when the post being commented on runs to several paragraphs
    it may be convenient for you, but its confusing to others, especially those who haven't follow the thread all the way. Also it's not possible to reply to your comments in red font that you put inside another persons quotations because the forum won't quote within a quote.

I guess this is the preferred mode for people who like to bury the heads in their sands and not have to deal with countering views. As it effectively reduces the ability for someone else to quote and counter them.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 1st Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 20,156 Posts
    • 11,100 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    it effectively reduces the ability for someone else to quote and counter them.
    I agree, but we are now going waaay off topic..
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 1st Feb 18, 7:32 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    Interesting you mention public services, yes they do a good job. Some very essential jobs, but the public sector is overstretched. They have financial cutbacks. So if they cannot afford to employ you anymore, jog on and find another job. A tribunal costs them a lot of money. The cost of defending themselves in a tribunal probably costs them the wages of hiring a staff for the entire year

Funny how some people who defend the public sector and public sector will at the same breath recommend someone fired by the public sector go speak to unions and take them to a tribunal.
    Because they’re still employees?....
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 1st Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    it may be convenient for you, but its confusing to others, especially those who haven't follow the thread all the way. Also it's not possible to reply to your comments in red font that you put inside another persons quotations because the forum won't quote within a quote.

I guess this is the preferred mode for people who like to bury the heads in their sands and not have to deal with countering views. As it effectively reduces the ability for someone else to quote and counter them.
    Oh: Copy and paste is your friend
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 1st Feb 18, 7:34 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    Manxman in exile

Err...you previously said employees had too many rights. Now you are saying they don't?

I also don't believe your suggestion of how much it costs a NHS trust to defend an ET! We would just get rid of staff...my former employer did so!

I defend the public sector, but if any employee was wrongly dismissed I would also defend their right to take their public sector employer to an ET.

You may find that "funny" but you obviously have no sense of humour...
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 1st Feb 18, 7:59 PM
    • 10,667 Posts
    • 8,905 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Indeed they do
    That doesn't make it the correct way to respond.

Really? Easier than this?

Copy and Paste is your friend..

Well, that's not quite true. Posting is a privilege, not a right.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    You have broken up my post into part sentences. I specifically referred to paragraphs!
    Last edited by lincroft1710; 01-02-2018 at 8:09 PM.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 1st Feb 18, 11:06 PM
    • 20,156 Posts
    • 11,100 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    You have broken up my post
    Indeed
    into part sentences.
    Indeed
    I specifically referred to paragraphs!
    Similarly, I can break up paragraphs from posts and respond to each individually.

Other users can do the same.

Copy and paste is every user's friend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

875Posts Today

6,863Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin