Price for sockets in house

What would be a reasonable price per socket to pay for new electric sockets in my house please? Just standard double white plastic sockets.

Comments

• pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Depends on how they will get from the shop to actually being installed on your wall and working properly.
  • pennystretcher
    pennystretcher Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 29 November 2017 at 5:46PM
    I just had electrical work done (it was a big list), guestimate is that fitting a socket and connecting it to existing spur (the big red fused switch on the wall) was about £35+VAT (so yours would may be around £70+VAT). I'm in Scotland BTW.

You need cabling etc so depends how difficult it is to do and - not an expert on this - but if the current circuit can handle it or not. (Check if your fuse board has empty slots in it in case..) Easiest is to call a company and ask if they could do a site visit in order to get a quote.

Also see https://local.which.co.uk/advice/cost-price-information-electricians
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 29 November 2017 at 6:04PM
    pramsay13 wrote: »
    Depends on how they will get from the shop to actually being installed on your wall and working properly.

Yep- I shoulda clarified - basically I mean what an electrician would charge me to fit them.

I am not sure whether they would have to change the cables behind the sockets. It's a modern circuit breaker board - so should have any "space" required.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yep- I shoulda clarified - basically I mean what an electrician would charge me to fit them.

I am not sure whether they would have to change the cables behind the sockets. It's a modern circuit breaker board - so should have any "space" required.

You need to clarify what you're looking for. Just changing the faceplates on existing sockets ? If so, two and a half quid a pop, a very simple DIY job. Or a 5 minute job for an electrician if you're not confident in doing this yourself. Installing extra spurred sockets to an existing ring ? Again, a simple DIY job, though more labour, and you need to factor in the cost of the back boxes as well as the faceplates. But again, very cheap and easy. Or a whole new ring, connected to the CU on its own circuit ? Quite a bit more work, a lot of channelling and floor-board-lifting, etc. - you're looking at more than a few quid for that.
  • Lets go worst case analysis on this.

This is work to existing sockets which I may/or may not (long story) have to pay for myself.

It is possible all the wires to some existing sockets may have to be ripped out and replaced - as it may be the case they are unsafe. Yep...maybe even right through to channelling out some of my walls:eek: to get the wires in/out.
  • To clarify - do you have single sockets you want to replace with double sockets or are these totally new double sockets you want to get fitted? And how old is your property?
  • To clarify - do you have single sockets you want to replace with double sockets or are these totally new double sockets you want to get fitted? And how old is your property?

Double to double. Same socket covers - but possibly (probably) new wires to replace existing wires going to them.

1970s.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    how long is a piece of (1.5 twin and earth cable) string
  • observations_from_a_hill
    observations_from_a_hill Posts: 158 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2017 at 1:03AM
    Get an electrician to quote - if its sockets only, you won't need rewiring on a1970's build except for "bodges" - which may or may not prove to be expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure