christmas eve hamper ideas for 10 year old boy

Options

Comments

• bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    You're telling me kids get presents on Christmas Eve nowadays and then again on Christmas Day????
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You're telling me kids get presents on Christmas Eve nowadays and then again on Christmas Day????

Personally I think hampers are a great idea, people don't put anything of value in them and the money comes out of the Christmas budget so its not as if kids are getting extra, they would have got the item(s) on Christmas morning anyway.

Most people have a new pair of pjs to wear Christmas Eve anyway, a book/dvd to keep them occupied and relaxed in the evening. A book to read together in bed.

All these things parents probably do/give anyway so why not put them in hamper and make a thing out of it. We normally open hampers after we get back from the afternoon church service its become a tradition and one I intend to keep going.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Hamper stuff now bought. Lots of ideas on here thanks plenty to keep me going for next year as well.

Pjs
    Camera - old one was going to give him anyway (I couldn't find any props :()
    DVD
    horrible histories Christmas book
    Book to read together before bed
    kinder chocolate Santa
    bubble bath in snowman - poundland
    Christmas biscuits (buy these anyway, this year they are going in hamper to bulk it out)
    minecraft annual - poundland
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Most people have a new pair of pjs to wear Christmas Eve anyway,

I've certainly never heard of that either
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    I've certainly never heard of that either

Children need new pjs every year as they grow out of the old ones so why not give them on Christmas eve as it something that would have had to be bought anyway.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is exactly why I didn't do it for the first few years of reading about it, I thought it pointless. Then I realised that there were things that I was getting in for Xmas eve anyway (such as new PJs, many families do this so the xmas pics of kids opening they aren't in their legs too short, past their best nightwear) and also there were things I wanted them to do also, such as get a bath, wash their hair, sit quietly and give me a bit of peace...;)

In addition over the years I'd built up that we had a santa stop here sign, a mince pie plate, new stockings and so on. All things that we used on Christmas Eve.

It came to me that it made sense to put all these things that did happen and I wanted to happen into a Xmas eve hamper and introduce it as a present from the elves, everything that Father Christmas wanted them to do in preparation for the following day was in it.

Son who was 10 or 11 when introduced outgrew it after the first year (still doesn't stop him eating/drinking any goodies in it though!) Daughter was 7 or 8 and still doesn't want it to stop..she's now 14!
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Any one following this for ideas for older boys hampers.

Poundland have some minecraft blind bags/boxes in.

I got one to add to my sons hamper
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    Son who was 10 or 11 when introduced outgrew it after the first year (still doesn't stop him eating/drinking any goodies in it though!) Daughter was 7 or 8 and still doesn't want it to stop..she's now 14!

My son still loves them think its because I have been doing it ever since he was old enough to understand. I can see me still having to do them for him when hes moved out :rotfl:
  • Newly_retired
    Options
    I for one have never heard of this custom till I read it on here. Where did it come from? Neither my son or my daughter do hampers for their children
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hamper stuff now bought. Lots of ideas on here thanks plenty to keep me going for next year as well.

Pjs
    Camera - old one was going to give him anyway (I couldn't find any props :()
    DVD
    horrible histories Christmas book
    Book to read together before bed
    kinder chocolate Santa
    bubble bath in snowman - poundland
    Christmas biscuits (buy these anyway, this year they are going in hamper to bulk it out)
    minecraft annual - poundland

Wilkos have a prop set in think it's quite cheap too.
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure