PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cash in hand for rented room

Comments

• username678
    username678 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity how much are you paying?

£550 per month. Most in area are charging £600-800 per month. Joys of living in an expensive area.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Just out of curiosity how much are you paying?

Depending where it is in Surrey I'd say between £400-£600 inc bills.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    £550 per month. Most in area are charging £600-800 per month. Joys of living in an expensive area.

Where in Surrey are you I paid that in London, and I come from Surrey so I know it well.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite

For a room in a shared house? That's insane. How much is a studio flat to rent? (I appreciate its totally different area, but a 3 bed house is £595 in my area!) - presumably this is for work, but does the salary justify that?

- I appreciate none of that actually matters, I'm just surprised. Cash is still fine, just make sure you get receipt each time.
  • NinaSwiss
    NinaSwiss Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    For a room in a shared house? That's insane. How much is a studio flat to rent? (I appreciate its totally different area, but a 3 bed house is £595 in my area!) - presumably this is for work, but does the salary justify that?

- I appreciate none of that actually matters, I'm just surprised. Cash is still fine, just make sure you get receipt each time.

Thats how it goes here in London I'm afraid.
    I'm on the outskirts(Zone 6, kent side) and room rentals are in the 450-600 range.
    I have friends that live more central paying around 850 -1000(Angel,Edgeware road) a month each in a houseshare.
    When I rented a whole apartment briefly in Bromley South (Zone 5) 2 years ago I paid £1100 PCM for a 2-bed flat.
    Working towards:
    [STRIKE]*House Purchase (2015)[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE] *Top-up pension (2016)[/STRIKE] [STRIKE] *Clear CC (2016) [/STRIKE]
    *Mortgage
    Overpayment (50% LTV by Jan 2020) *Clear student Loan(by Jan 2020)[STRIKE]*Save for a Car (2017)![/STRIKE]
    *Making the most of life!!!
  • username678
    username678 Posts: 12 Forumite

Unfurnished studio flats without bills are £700-900.

I am trying to put away as much money as possible so going for something like that and having to buy all of my furniture plus deposits and fees really wouldn't make it worth it.

Yes I need to be in the area for work as I love my job and moving further away wouldn't be any cheaper!
  • Guest101
    NinaSwiss wrote: »
    Thats how it goes here in London I'm afraid.
    I'm on the outskirts(Zone 6, kent side) and room rentals are in the 450-600 range.
    I have friends that live more central paying around 850 -1000(Angel,Edgeware road) a month each in a houseshare.
    When I rented a whole apartment briefly in Bromley South (Zone 5) 2 years ago I paid £1100 PCM for a 2-bed flat.

No I know, I lived in London for 13 years. But this is Surrey,
  • DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    Unfurnished studio flats without bills are £700-900.

I am trying to put away as much money as possible so going for something like that and having to buy all of my furniture plus deposits and fees really wouldn't make it worth it.

Yes I need to be in the area for work as I love my job and moving further away wouldn't be any cheaper!

As someone else in a high rent area (Oxford), I know that feeling! (fun anecdote: My ex was a mortgage advisor for a high street bank. She was sent for some training, which was done by region (in this case, the Midlands). The training was absolutely useless, as their answer for anything that was remotely close to the prices in Oxford was "refer it to Premier, you don't need to deal with that high value stuff")
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    with that sort of sum I guarantee they insist on cash purely to evade tax

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/reporting-tax-evasion
  • Guest101
    00ec25 wrote: »
    with that sort of sum I guarantee they insist on cash purely to evade tax

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/reporting-tax-evasion

Indeed and it sounds like it's £550 + bills
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport