On-grid domestic battery storage

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,760 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Martyn1981 wrote: »

Clearly I'm easily pleased, but I'm actually getting a little excited about the second half of 2017, we could see:

3. Off-shore wind contract announcements at sub HPC 2012 prices, so below £92.50, hopefully in the £80's and even a slim chance of a deal that starts with a 7.

Just sharing a chuckle as I spotted this whilst looking for an old article, I was miles out ..... though to be fair £57.50 does have a 7 in it. :rotfl:
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Ordered my Tesla Powerwall 2 yesterday. I looked at the generation from my 4kW system and decided I do not need any extra solar. The battery is going to be fitted by an electrician who does solar & batteries and when he came for a site visit we discussed costs. The battery is £5,000 plus VAT. If I have some more solar generation it is 5%. If I don't have any extra solar is it 20%. I am therefore having two of the cheapest available panels fitted complete with their own inverter etc. With labour costs, I'll be paying roughly the same as I would for just the battery. He is also going to fit a Zappi vehicle charger at the same time so that when there's enough solar the car will get charged too.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Martyn
    Thanks. I've contacted SSE, my local DNO, and will let you know the result of my complaint. I suspect there are other PV panel owners at the end of country lanes where their output is being rejected because of lack of local load in the middle of the day. They wouldn't know this unless they monitored their output closely.
  • NigeWick wrote: »
    Ordered my Tesla Powerwall 2 yesterday. I looked at the generation from my 4kW system and decided I do not need any extra solar. The battery is going to be fitted by an electrician who does solar & batteries and when he came for a site visit we discussed costs. The battery is £5,000 plus VAT. If I have some more solar generation it is 5%. If I don't have any extra solar is it 20%. I am therefore having two of the cheapest available panels fitted complete with their own inverter etc. With labour costs, I'll be paying roughly the same as I would for just the battery. He is also going to fit a Zappi vehicle charger at the same time so that when there's enough solar the car will get charged too.

Any pics when installed would be appreciated Nige :D Don't forget banana for scale :rotfl:
    Llike most I'm following news of batts closely so more real world examples would be greatly appreciated, its' folks like you taking the plunge that motivate us sitting on the fence!!
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    theboylard wrote: »
    Any pics when installed would be appreciated Nige :D Don't forget banana for scale :rotfl:
    Will do. What size banana?

The battery is going on the outside wall of the garage which will mean less wiring and saving room for the car, and, all the detritus from 21 years living here.....

The electrician said that the battery location would be alright as the wall is East facing & in a narrow passage between it and a 6ft fence. Plus, our weather tends to come from the West.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    When electric cars become mandatory, it is going to be a logistic nightmare for those in flats/houses without parking to have charging facilities. Especially as, I suspect, the majority of owners will wish to charge overnight, and 2 car households are common these days.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Cardew wrote: »
    When electric cars become mandatory, it is going to be a logistic nightmare for those in flats/houses without parking to have charging facilities. Especially as, I suspect, the majority of owners will wish to charge overnight, and 2 car households are common these days.
    I don't think two car households would be a problem : I've only got one EV and almost always charge it overnight but don't usually need to charge it every night. Hopefully new EVs will have better range than mine so might only need charging once or twice a week. (of course in the unusual situation where a household has two or more EVs and uses up all the range on both of them every day they could always fit a second charging point).

For people without their own garage /parking space there is always the possibility of 'destination charging'.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • snecker
    snecker Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 19 September 2017 at 12:59PM
    Cardew wrote: »

I don't think so. Charging infrastructure is rapidly expanding and see Tesla's recent mobile battery swap patent application. I'm too new to post links but google for more info if interested. In most EVs, the battery sits at the lowest point and is usually pretty trivial to swap.
  • Just wanted to say hello and thanks for this fascinating thread. I am hoping to get a PV with battery scheme but as costs seem to be heading downwards so quickly, it looks like the best thing to do at the moment is wait.

EON are quoting me £7.5k for solar and battery for my place. The battery just doesn't seem to make sense for me at the moment.
  • David_RC wrote: »
    Martyn
    Thanks. I've contacted SSE, my local DNO, and will let you know the result of my complaint. I suspect there are other PV panel owners at the end of country lanes where their output is being rejected because of lack of local load in the middle of the day. They wouldn't know this unless they monitored their output closely.

Do you or your neighbours divert spare power to immersion tanks? Are there any other potential power soaks such as swimming pools, or behavioural changes to ensure washing, dishwashing is done at appropriate times. To be honest if the PV owners are anything like the ones I know the latter will already have been sorted.

Perhaps you can persuade a few to buy electric vehicles, although that's a rather tongue in cheek suggestion..
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback