Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 106
    • blackandwhitebunny
    • By blackandwhitebunny 15th Jan 12, 3:08 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 4,139 Thanks
    blackandwhitebunny
    I haven't had time to keep up with the thread as having hectic time at work. Are there other teachers out there being made to feel that they've actually signed up to slave labour?
    Monday I spent 4.35 in the co-op on reduced eggs and salami. Weds it was 3.33 for 7 pork steaks in sainsbobs and strawberries and spuds both for 20p each, so 3.73. The pork was down to 3 a kilo so it would have been rude to leave it there.
    Then yesterday we spent 15.50 on the market for fruit, veg, cheese and eggs and 20 in sainsbobs on everything else we needed. Also went to B&M but only got a box of Dorset cereal for 1.39. So I'm pretty well within the groceries budget.
    Kitty food however.... bought 6 400g bags of royal Canin from Just for Pets last weekend and had a free bag of proplan, down to one bag by yesterday. I'm sure they're hoarding it like squirrels
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly

• rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 15th Jan 12, 3:19 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    have had a horrible last few days with our little old jacksy being put to sleep yesterday so i'm not going to mention the budget to him .
    Originally posted by dobs
    Awwwww hun, so sorry to hear this (((hugs))) I lost my old boy in November and know how devasting it is

Had bad news yesterday that my Auntie has passed away-it was imminent-we knew but sad all the same. At least MIL and hubby are not still in hospital!Glad I am fairly organised for next week now but its a hectic one with exams, dental apps and taking hubby for chemo. I do hope the funeral doesnt clash with the chemo!
    Originally posted by angelatgraceland
    So sorry Angela, as has been mention whether expected or not, it doesn't hurt any less (((hugs)))

Well, have managed a grocery NSD at least (but not a total one as had to get petrol) - I did get DM eggs (and some for me too) at the farm shop on the way down but she gave me the money for mine for going!
    Grocery Challenge 211/455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: 125/250
    1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 3.96 / 1,000
    Vet Fund: 410.93 / 1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
    • mumsiemum
    • By mumsiemum 15th Jan 12, 3:33 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 2,608 Thanks
    mumsiemum
    Another 7.17 yesterday at Mr S
    Pay all your debts by Xmas 2013 #008
    Finally debt free!!!!!
  • 123budget
    I haven't had time to keep up with the thread as having hectic time at work. Are there other teachers out there being made to feel that they've actually signed up to slave labour?
    Originally posted by blackandwhitebunny
    Not a teacher but a TA - have worked in schools for many years and have family members who are teachers. When anyone has asked about teaching as a career I have always told them to stay well clear unless it really is a vocation. Never mind the school holidays - I don't know any teacher that doesnt work to at least 9-10 at night is in school by 7.30 - 8am often not leaving till 6 ish and then still working when they get home. School holidays spent planning for the next half term. Being a TA is great being a teacher NO THANKS!! - The pay is rubbish for the amount of effort put in - so I applaud you all
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 / no. 1205 110 made]Sealed Pot Challenge 2012/no 1205 target 300
    Jan g/c 355.83/450
    g/c Feb487.66/400
    March 411.03/450
    To feed 5 adults and 2 dogs includes toiletries & cleanining
    • MissOrganised1972
    • By MissOrganised1972 15th Jan 12, 4:26 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 3,644 Thanks
    MissOrganised1972
    Enjoy the piccies tonight Spiggle. My Dad has just been round and said that he saw it on Friday night and said it was a good film.

Hugs to you angelatgraceland & dobs & anyone else who needs them at the moment.

Sounds like my day totallybored. I love pottering in my kitchen & being productive! It makes me feel good. It's even better on a Sunday when you can sip at the sherry at the same time!

Thank you gailey, Spiggle, Suffolk lass & PennyGrabber (hope I haven't missed anyone). I have made the spaghetti bolognaise. It is cooking in the oven and smells lovely. I loosely use a Jamie Oliver recipe. I doubled everything in the recipe except for the meat. I used 1 measure of British Steak mince (500g - which I bought when it was 1.34 in Lidl) & then instead of the extra measure of meat I used 2 large handfuls of red lentils & the same of oats (thanks for that never knew you could do that). The recipe calls for pancetta & pureed sun dried tomatoes! I have used about 1/3-1/2 of a pack of cooking bacon, normal tomato puree & a good shake of oregano & rosemary. I substituted one of the tins of chopped tomatoes for a carton of passata. I always put a good glass of red wine in my bolognaise but I have to say that it still looks slightly less rich/dark than usual. Won't tell DH or DDs of changes/swaps & see what they all think !

Also made my savoury bread (with cooking bacon, cheddar & onion in). It looks like I will get 2 loaves out of the mixture as had far too much for one tin. Maybe I will make rolls with the remainder? Never made it before so will see what it's like.

Thanks everyone & enjoy the rest of your day
    2017 GC O-93.46/160; S-136.26/160; A-130.55/160; J-47.12/160;
    J-106.63/190; M-70.29/160; A-197.88/180; M-219.35/180; F-294.14/160; J-168.67/160
    2016 GC 2322.39/2285; GC-2012-2015 - 9789.91/7773!
    for 2 adults & 2 kids (13 & 11) for all food,toiletries,cleaners etc

• p-pincher
    • By p-pincher 15th Jan 12, 4:33 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    p-pincher
    Hi everyone

Hope everyone's well and having a good weekend

Spent 34.50 over the last 2 days and also had 2 NSD, think my totals 5 so far, doesnt leave me much til the end of the month, 26th Jan is Dh's payday but all dinners sorted as well as breakfasts and pack ups so will only need to buy milk, fresh fruit and veg and maybe a loaf of bread. Absolutely determined to stick to budget this month xx
    March 2014 Grocery challenge 250.00
  • minipenny
    C0stc0 deals.....sorry got a bit Sidetracked lol. Valid from 16th Jan - 5th Feb
    Just in case your c0stco is a bit far away and you cant just pop in to see if theres anything - This is their new special offers mag

I've only added the Grocery/food stuff let me know if you want the electrical/home deals and i'll post them too
    2 off Per pack of British Cut Leg of Pork
    5 off Per Pack of Whole Scotch Roasting Joint/Scotch Silverside
    3 off Per Pack British/Welsh Boneless Lamb Shoulder
    2.99 for A Kirkland Signature Rotisserie Chicken
    Buy 2 Huggies Nappies Gigapack (I've added how many nappies per box) for 32 - Size 3(192), 4(160), 4+(148) 5(132) and 6 (102)
    2 Packs of 6x250ml's of Carex Handwash for 9.00
    2 for 11.99 SMA Follow on Milk/Toddler Milk
    Kenco Really Smooth Coffee 750g - 12.49
    24x 330ml Cans of Fanta or Dr Pepper 5.94
    6x80's (480) Tetley Extra Strong Teas Bags 6.59
    3 pack of 6 Walkers Crinkles Crisps (18 bags) 2.89
    24 3pack snack pack Jaffa cakes 6.67
    Skittles/Skittles Crazy Cores 36 pack - 8.08
    Kettle Chips 3x150g 2.40
    Quaker Oats so Simple 40 Sachets (original) or 32 Sachets (syrup) - 3.37
    20kg Long Grain Rice 12.99
    2x850g Dorset Cereals Simpl Delicious Muesli 2.92
    Starbucks Ready Brew Coffee 2x12 pack 4.99
    Cif Power Cream 3x750ml 5.11
    Fairy Non Bio Tabs 168 15.58
    Persil Small and Mighty 2x1.89ltr (108 washes) 11.38 (think this is 5 per bottle in Mr T at the moment though)
    Domestos 5ltr 3.36
    Cilit Bang Active Foam 2x600ml 3.58
    Daz (90 wash) powder 11.38
    10x2 pack Velvet Kitchen roll 10.78
    Ariel Stain Remover 2 ltr 3.20
    Ariel Actilift 45 pack 7.22
    Lenor Infusions Fuschia 4.5ltr 6.42
    2x84 (168 tablets) Finish All in One Powerball Dishwasher tablets 14.74

• Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 15th Jan 12, 4:55 PM
    • 3,992 Posts
    • 52,574 Thanks
    Florenceem
    Sunday.
    Another NSD here.
    15 in 2015 1/15
    • prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 15th Jan 12, 4:57 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    Well I went shopping today to Ald! and c00p - I was planning to spend around 20 of 25 budget but ended up spending a lot more - around 40. My monthly total is now 70.33 of a 75 budget so far - I was running at a large underspend till today but I saw lots of things we use on offer - yoghurts, shampoo and conditioner and shower gel, freezer fillers and diet pepsi... so I decided to stock up. I'm still under budget overall for the month so far and am confident that I will keep within budget this month. It's such a good feeling to know my stockpile is bulging and I'm still within budget, so thanks to all posters for keeping me motivated.

Have a good week all

p_grrl
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
    • mummyyof5
    • By mummyyof5 15th Jan 12, 5:14 PM
    • 1,839 Posts
    • 39,830 Thanks
    mummyyof5
    47.00 in MrAs today..more milk..and stuff for pack ups..pop etc.
    4.50in I**land ..kievs and 2 packs of fishcakes as they were on offer.

Took Ds2 for new PE clothes and trainers yesterday and spent about a tenner in town

Off to update sig now

Hugs to everyone who needs one xx
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • moneysaver13
    Just updated my signature, not as bad as it looks. Pay day on Friday and enough food for dinners for the entire week. Will only need milk I think. Out of my 149 spend, 32.25 was to stock DS1 up on food for Uni, so actually would have come in under budget. Plus I have stocked up on toiletries at Boots and bought some bits today that wont get used for a few weeks. Today's bargains includes 500g Tilda easy cook rice reduced in Mr T's from 2+ to 57p though not many left now, a 500g pack of organic chicken breast reduced to 2.68 from 7+ and a pack of 4 Warburtons tea cakes reduced from 80p to 48p (DH's favourite). So hoping for some NSD's this week. Doing a basic spreadsheet does highlight how items are going up at the moment, 7p on Tesco Passata this week (39p to 46p)! Wishing everyone a good week!
    GC 2012 April 0/150
    March: 176.71/150
    (payday 22nd) NSD 3/10
    Feb: 138.93/150 NSD:11/10
    Jan: 171.13/150
    Nectar rewards: 18.55, Boots 13.82
    Sealed pot challenge 5 no 1602:
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 15th Jan 12, 5:25 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    ... Well after 12 NSD I went shopping and got a huge list with coupons and gift vouchers I spent a huge 2p I should be done for the month now other than baby milk which I have vouchers to cover. ...
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    WOW Hiddenidentity! And double WOW after seeing your list! Truly amazing, well done.

Well I have added 19.99 to my sig. Went to the butchers near me for the first time and got a "family pack". It had:

1 steak pie
    1 whole chicken
    1lb diced beef
    1lb minced beef
    1lb link sausages
    1lb black pudding
    3 pork chops (got the chinese ones)
    frying steak (never had this before so open to ideas of what to do with it plz)
    6 eggs
    1lb of penguin biscuits
    2 packs of streaky bacon.

Thought that was loads so will see how we do, does that seem a good deal to you? ...
    Originally posted by adysmum
    From someone who only buys meat from the local butcher !!! That is an excellent deal adysmum, well done.

... Kitty food however.... bought 6 400g bags of royal Canin from Just for Pets last weekend and had a free bag of proplan, down to one bag by yesterday. I'm sure they're hoarding it like squirrels
    Originally posted by blackandwhitebunny
    Blackandwhitebunny, have you tried buying it online and through Quidco or topcashback? I get our cats special diet food that way and the cost comes down considerably even from the prices at P*ts *t H*m* et al. The suppliers I've used so far have been Z**plus (still waiting cashback though ) and P*tm*ds recently for the first time. The cost had crept up so much locally I had to bite the bullet and order online to save the pennies.

Anyway off for my hm Chinese dinner in a short while and then the cinema. Thanks for the feedback MissOrganised and hope the spag bol tastes delish. OH is so excited it's like having a child in the house only instead of "Are we there yet?" I've had "Only four hours to go" "Only three hours to go" etc.

By the way what are/is ys?

See you tomorrow evening,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
  • M0neysav3r
    Just updated my sig to include another spend today, poped into T for some fish and ended up picking up some bargains too 37p sausages, 50p quiche, 39p 4pt milk, 50p kievs, 39p bread and some other bits - 5.83 in total
    No Debts (Other than HUGE mortgage! )
    Generally trying to cut back where possible
    GC - March 143.82 / 200 Feb 156.03 / 150 Oops! Jan 180.78/200
    • pepsi-kins
    • By pepsi-kins 15th Jan 12, 6:08 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    pepsi-kins
    Hi everyone.
    Not doing too badly so far. I have plenty of food in the cupboards and freezers, trying not to buy much that isn't needed as my new kitchen has arrived, and hopefully will be fitted in the next few weeks (currently in the conservatory, lounge and garage! ho hum)
    I've been in domestic goddess mode today. Got given a coconut, so I've grated all of the flesh, and have made chocolate and coconut macaroons. It was quite labour intensive, but they taste sooo nice, already had two with a cuppa!

Have a good week everyone x
    2018 G/C 2951.61/2250
    Vouchers used 553.23
    Extra money 250
    2019 G/C 2248.60
    Vouchers: 207.33
  • In Martin We Trust
    WOW Hiddenidentity! And double WOW after seeing your list! Truly amazing, well done.

From someone who only buys meat from the local butcher !!! That is an excellent deal adysmum, well done.

Blackandwhitebunny, have you tried buying it online and through Quidco or topcashback? I get our cats special diet food that way and the cost comes down considerably even from the prices at P*ts *t H*m* et al. The suppliers I've used so far have been Z**plus (still waiting cashback though ) and P*tm*ds recently for the first time. The cost had crept up so much locally I had to bite the bullet and order online to save the pennies.

Anyway off for my hm Chinese dinner in a short while and then the cinema. Thanks for the feedback MissOrganised and hope the spag bol tastes delish. OH is so excited it's like having a child in the house only instead of "Are we there yet?" I've had "Only four hours to go" "Only three hours to go" etc.

By the way what are/is ys?

See you tomorrow evening,
    Spigs
    Originally posted by Spiggle
    frying steak does exactly as it says on the tin to quote the famous advert. ie stirfry beef is a good meal to have with it. Doubt it would last till chinese new year though.
  • adysmum
    Originally posted by Spiggle
    Thanks Spigs, was the first time I'd bought it, keep looking everytime I walk past but always have the kids. Went in yesterday when I was by myself and thank goodness I was, the bags were really heavy lol. Had 8 pints of milk as well. Had the chicken tonight as a roast and have loads left for chicken mayo sandwiches for hubby packed lunch.
  • adysmum
    frying steak does exactly as it says on the tin to quote the famous advert. ie stirfry beef is a good meal to have with it. Doubt it would last till chinese new year though.
    Originally posted by In Martin We Trust
    Great, stir fry it is. Think I have noodles and a sauce in so perfect!
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 15th Jan 12, 6:16 PM
    • 4,330 Posts
    • 29,803 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...made a tomato pasta dish for lunch and had tea out which is always welcome...need to use up some eggs so have made egg mayo for the sarnies and thought id make pancakes for pudding tomorrow....im excited about the fact i have some seville oranges so am going to make some marmalade tomorrow...lovely (hopefully)

going to get a chicken from costco for tea tomorrow and they have fish on special so might get some of that...also fancy a lasagne so going to get on and make one of those at some point this week

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • PolkaDotsAndLace
    Can't see myself getting through this month without going over-budget - it's really tight now after today's shop, 40 left! Going to make a big effort not to be too far over though, though we may be living off pasta and nothing else by the end of the month!

Hey ho, off to read the thread now.
    February Grocery Challenge - 100.87/180
    February Don't Throw Food Away Challenge - 0.60/1.50
  • Alwaysthebusybee
    This thread moves fast ...

I am sure I have missed the odd receipt but I have most ... my total is 197.49 / 3000 (Yearly)

I think next month I will try and have a separate purse and pay for things separately as I know there is some none food items on the receipts

This thread is really useful and it is really easy to see where the bulk of your money goes ... I am in the process of collating a spreadsheet with costs of my regular purchases to see where my biggest spends are ... snacks & toiletries I think

Well this year is a saving learning curve so I will get there in the end
    2 Saver # 40 & SPC # 1465 & VSP # 94 101.47/100
    Pay One Debt 2012 # 25 480 / 4000
    Personal Targets - Mum 70/1820

Aim to be DEBT FREE December 2014
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,960Posts Today

5,647Users online

Martin's Twitter