Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 29th Jan 10, 10:03 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    I have a raspberry cake recipe where you just chuck a handful of frozen raspberries in...it does not go mushy.
    Why don't you google frozen strawberry ideas- loads will come up!
    • MILLYMOLLY
    • By MILLYMOLLY 3rd May 10, 6:55 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 10,632 Thanks
    MILLYMOLLY
    Strawberries
    I've got loads of strawberries, reduced, can i freeze them.
    Just made strawberry muffins and a fruit salad.
    Has anyone got any other suggestions.
    Thanks
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 3rd May 10, 7:03 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi MILLYMOLLY,

Yes you can freeze them, but once defrosted their texture will change and they will be more watery, and mushy and nothing like fresh ones would be. They are still good to use from frozen in jam, smoothies, baking etc but won't be particularly good on their own.

These threads may help:

What to do with a glut of strawberries?

Freezing Strawberries

I'll add your thread to the first link later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
    • babyshoes
    • By babyshoes 3rd May 10, 9:11 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    babyshoes
    Jam!

Smoothies, fruit pie, ice cream etc

Or, just eat them with loads of fresh cream. Yummy!
    • gailey
    • By gailey 21st Jun 10, 7:17 AM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    gailey
    Help over picked strawberries
    Got far too many yesterday with kids still have whole tub full but problem is we off on hols today no time to cook.

Would it be ok to wash, cut and freeze then defrost and make jam when get back.

last time I froze strawberries they went to mush.
    pad by xmas2010 14,636.65/20,000:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 15008.02/15,000

new grocery challenge 200/250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON,Onwards and upward2013
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 21st Jun 10, 8:10 AM
    • 6,402 Posts
    • 20,502 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Strawberries don't freeze well as you discovered, but if you're going away, you might as well freeze them and try making jam with them when you come back.
  • sarahsarah
    You could freeze them then use them for smoothies straight from the freezer when you are back..
    • jollymummy
    • By jollymummy 21st Jun 10, 11:06 AM
    • 946 Posts
    • 4,072 Thanks
    jollymummy
    My Mum used to freeze them when we were kids (a long time ago) and then we'd have strawberry crumble in December

NSD 3/366
    4/366. 2016 Decluttering challenge
  • Soubrette
    They will go to mush but that won't matter in jam

I freeze alpine strawberries and last year made some lovely strawberry icecream out of them.

Sou
    • Phudge
    • By Phudge 21st Jun 10, 11:50 AM
    • 407 Posts
    • 4,933 Thanks
    Phudge
    I would just quickly blitz them , then push them through a sieve to make strawberry coulis. That freezes perfectly - just defrost it in the fridge when you are ready, give it a little stir and it will be lovely!
    Penny
    • Tealady
    • By Tealady 21st Jun 10, 1:04 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 15,256 Thanks
    Tealady
    i would freeze them on skewers and then eat them frozen like an ice lolly. They are yummy and healthy as well
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 21st Jun 10, 8:07 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Got far too many yesterday with kids still have whole tub full but problem is we off on hols today no time to cook.

Would it be ok to wash, cut and freeze then defrost and make jam when get back.

last time I froze strawberries they went to mush.
    Originally posted by gailey
    They will go to mush - they have a high water content which expands as it freezes and ruptures the cell walls

I'd freeze them and make into smoothies - yum!

As this has fallen from the front page of OS, I'll add it to the existing thread on freezing strawberries, to give you more ideas.
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • Fruball
    • By Fruball 18th Nov 11, 9:36 PM
    • 5,093 Posts
    • 36,653 Thanks
    Fruball
    Freezing strawberries.... Help please
    I managed to get 5 tubs of whoopsied strawberries today from Mr M and want to make them into jam.

Can I freeze them for a few days until I have time to make it or will it ruin the texture of the jam?

Thanks
    • tulip12
    • By tulip12 18th Nov 11, 10:04 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    tulip12
    lucky you. I always do this and have'nt had any problems at all.

I also buy supermarket frozen fruit to make a coulis to go with plain yogurt which is really nice.

hth
    • babyshoes
    • By babyshoes 18th Nov 11, 10:39 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    babyshoes
    We have made jam from frozen strawberries and raspberries from the PYO farm - it is actually better than using old fruit which has been knocking around the fridge until you make them into jam to stop them going off, as freezing seems to keep the 'fresh' taste, and it comes through in the jam.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 19th Nov 11, 4:34 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Hiya

I'll add this to our main thread.... Freezing Strawberries
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Fruball
    • By Fruball 19th Nov 11, 3:26 PM
    • 5,093 Posts
    • 36,653 Thanks
    Fruball
    Great!

Thats a relief - didn't want them to go to waste.

Thank you
    • Jane2112
    • By Jane2112 4th May 12, 8:50 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    Jane2112
    Freezing strawberries
    HI,

Whilst there seems to be plenty of strawberries at the moment I thought I would have a go at freezing them. Trouble is, I am not sure how to.
    What does everyone else do?

Thanks in advance.

Jane
    Jane 2112
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 4th May 12, 9:13 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Jane,

They freeze well but go very mushy once defrosted so are really only useful for smoothies, baking or adding to pies, ice cream etc.

We have an earlier thread with lots of advice:

Freezing Strawberries

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the replies together.

Pink
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 4th May 12, 9:17 PM
    • 30,110 Posts
    • 63,357 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    They freeze well but go very mushy once defrosted so are really only useful for smoothies, baking or adding to pies, ice cream etc.
    Originally posted by Pink-winged
    Smoothies are the way to go - they save you from having to add ice. Otherwise compote with other berries and icing sugar.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,789Posts Today

6,723Users online

Martin's Twitter