Is there a charge to move landline to another supplier?

J_B
J_B Posts: 6,410
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
Long story short ...
John Lewis Broadband cut our phone off
We had to pay BT £70 connection fee to get it back
If I had 'ported it' from JL to BT, would there have been a charge?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,868
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Depends why it was cut off. Did you not pay a bill?
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534
    Forumite
    J_B wrote: »
    John Lewis Broadband cut our phone off

Would be easier to give better info if you told us why!

We had to pay BT £70 connection fee to get it back

Sounds reasonable. The price must have gone down. Was £130 last I noticed.

If I had 'ported it' from JL to BT, would there have been a charge?

Probably not.

Also Bt was probably the worst provider to go with to avoid an expensive connection charge. Even pluset (bt) would have been better. Pretty sure I did not get charged one with them.
  • J_B
    Forumite
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Depends why it was cut off. Did you not pay a bill?
    Sorry, was trying to be brief - all bills paid and overpaid ...
    Details here, start on post #11
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=75259000

Carrot007 wrote: »
    Would be easier to give better info if you told us why!

See above ... :)

Also Bt was probably the worst provider to go with to avoid an expensive connection charge. Even pluset (bt) would have been better. Pretty sure I did not get charged one with them.
    I wanted 'phone only' and as I had just lost our number that had been in our family for nearly 60 years, my MSE persona went out of the window as I thought they would be a better bet to get it back.
    Many thanks to Cheryl from Blackburn who managed to get us sorted at the 4th attempt, and on a Sunday too!! :T
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534
    Forumite
    I wanted 'phone only' and as I had just lost our number that had been in our family for nearly 60 years, my MSE persona went out of the window as I thought they would be a better bet to get it back.

Off choice. Who wants a landline ;-). Anyway. Probably so but I would also say they eaqually do not care these days unless you go to the teams on the web who can do things. You asked to get rid of the phone number though so what can you expect?

Many thanks to Cheryl from Blackburn who managed to get us sorted at the 4th attempt, and on a Sunday too!! :T

Well that's just a lot more unanswered questions!

Fatc is you have no rights to a phone number in this country and you can lose is for a lot less (ie the companies stupidity). Pretty sure under a non-commercial contract they can chage your number at any time is they wanted to anyway (not that t hey would).
  • J_B
    Forumite
    Off choice. Who wants a landline ;-). You asked to get rid of the phone number though so what can you expect?

Maybe it's a bit late at night and you didn't read my links ....

We need a landline - country folks with no mobile signal!

I asked JL to retain the landline, so, they cut us off. :mad:
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    In your other thread you said that you asked them to 'terminate the service ASAP'. If that happens, the number is lost, though the line physically remains. You then have to pay BT a fee for reinstating the connection, up to £130. Most other providers charge from zero-it depends on the value of the contract.
    Plusnet did nothing wrong. Had you followed the proper procedure for changing supplier, the number would have been ported to BT. Instead you chose to cease the line and reconnect.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • J_B
    Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    In your other thread you said that you asked them to 'terminate the service ASAP'. If that happens, the number is lost, though the line physically remains. You then have to pay BT a fee for reinstating the connection, up to £130. Most other providers charge from zero-it depends on the value of the contract.
    Plusnet did nothing wrong. Had you followed the proper procedure for changing supplier, the number would have been ported to BT. Instead you chose to cease the line and reconnect.

Sorry, in full, what I actually asked them to do was 'to terminate the broadband service and keep the landline'.
    They agreed to this despite the fact that they don't offer 'landline only'.
    :(
  • JB, you have produced a break in the clouds. I signed from PO to now tv and only when people tried to call did I discover that we'd lost our phone number (over 25 years, with us for two properties and several providers). Intensely irritating. I'm also prepared to pay a reconnection fee.

Am I right in thinking that the wonderful Cheryl from Blackburn is from BT? Is she in the sales team? - in which case there may be others of her calibre who could do the same for us. How do we go about getting in touch with her or one of her colleagues?

Many thanks!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    jones1901 wrote: »
    JB, you have produced a break in the clouds. I signed from PO to now tv and only when people tried to call did I discover that we'd lost our phone number (over 25 years, with us for two properties and several providers). Intensely irritating. I'm also prepared to pay a reconnection fee.

Am I right in thinking that the wonderful Cheryl from Blackburn is from BT? Is she in the sales team? - in which case there may be others of her calibre who could do the same for us. How do we go about getting in touch with her or one of her colleagues?

Many thanks!

Unless you've omitted a lot of information from your post I'm confused as to why you think BT can or even would be interested in helping you when you moved from The Post Office to NowTV?
  • J_B
    Forumite
    jones1901 wrote: »
    JB, you have produced a break in the clouds. I signed from PO to now tv and only when people tried to call did I discover that we'd lost our phone number (over 25 years, with us for two properties and several providers). Intensely irritating. I'm also prepared to pay a reconnection fee.

Many thanks!

Well, that was five months ago and I have been to sleep several times since then. :rotfl:

Basically, Plusnet/John Lewis had disconnected my line completely so I signed up with BT (who I'm still with) and then asked on 150 for a number change.

Unless you've omitted a lot of information from your post I'm confused as to why you think BT can or even would be interested in helping you when you moved from The Post Office to NowTV?
    Hmm, I think you are right there :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport