Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beclou
    • By Beclou 19th May 19, 10:02 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Beclou
    Will this trigger UC switch?
    • 19th May 19, 10:02 AM
    Will this trigger UC switch? 19th May 19 at 10:02 AM
    My partner and I currently receive WTC and CTC. I return to university (nursing) in September and my partner will be giving up work to continue his studies and to be around for childcare. 2 children under 5. We are in Scotland if that makes any difference. Obviously we wont be claiming out of work benefits. But will we lose our tax credits when we inform them neither of us are working?
Page 1
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 19th May 19, 10:42 AM
    • 3,305 Posts
    • 3,862 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 19th May 19, 10:42 AM
    • 19th May 19, 10:42 AM
    I would have thought that the WTC element would be lost, as neither of you will be working the requisite hours.

I suggest you get a benefit check at your local advice centre.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • Beclou
    • By Beclou 19th May 19, 3:13 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Beclou
    • 19th May 19, 3:13 PM
    • 19th May 19, 3:13 PM
    Yes. I would lose the WTC. But it was the ctc I was worried about. As under current system they dont take student income into account.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 19th May 19, 3:25 PM
    • 2,360 Posts
    • 4,344 Thanks
    _shel
    • 19th May 19, 3:25 PM
    • 19th May 19, 3:25 PM
    Yes. I would lose the WTC. But it was the ctc I was worried about. As under current system they dont take student income into account.
    Originally posted by Beclou
    Yes they do
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 19th May 19, 3:37 PM
    • 6,016 Posts
    • 5,552 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 19th May 19, 3:37 PM
    • 19th May 19, 3:37 PM
    Yes they do
    Originally posted by _shel
    Sorry that's not correct. Student loans are ignored when calculating tax credits. See link. https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Student-Support/How-does-student-support-affect-tax-credits
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 19th May 19, 3:57 PM
    • 3,564 Posts
    • 2,414 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 19th May 19, 3:57 PM
    • 19th May 19, 3:57 PM
    For the avoidance of doubt - Child Tax Credit entitlement will continue, the amount obviously dependant on your circumstances.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 19th May 19, 4:13 PM
    • 2,360 Posts
    • 4,344 Thanks
    _shel
    • 19th May 19, 4:13 PM
    • 19th May 19, 4:13 PM
    Sorry that's not correct. Student loans are ignored when calculating tax credits. See link. https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Student-Support/How-does-student-support-affect-tax-credits
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    They took my hubbys Masters Loan in to account
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 19th May 19, 4:28 PM
    • 3,564 Posts
    • 2,414 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 19th May 19, 4:28 PM
    • 19th May 19, 4:28 PM
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    The link only identifies certain student income/loans as ignored. My reading is that maintenance loans are generally taken into account and that if a loan is available you are assumed to have one even if you have not applied.

However for the OP it looks as if a nursing bursary would be ignored - and I think these are still available in Scotland.
    • sleepless saver
    • By sleepless saver 19th May 19, 10:10 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 2,431 Thanks
    sleepless saver
    • 19th May 19, 10:10 PM
    • 19th May 19, 10:10 PM
    "Bursary
    If you are a nursing or midwifery diploma or degree student starting your course in autumn 2018, you can get a non-means-tested nursing and midwifery bursary of 6,578. In the first year, an extra 60 initial expenses allowance is paid. In the fourth year, the bursary is reduced to 75 per cent.
    Grants for living costs
    Available grants for living costs are:

means-tested dependants' allowance for a spouse, civil partner, partner or dependent child(ren). The allowance is 3,640 for an adult or first child, and 557 for each subsequent child. Note: support for children is still included in nursing and midwifery bursaries, even though it has been abolished for other undergraduates;
    single parents' allowance of 2,303 if you are single, widowed, divorced or separated and bringing up children on your own;
    childcare allowance of up to 2,466 if you pay for registered or formal childcare;
    disabled students' allowance (see Cross reference);
    travel expenses and 'reasonable accommodation costs' for placements."
    Source: CPAG Benefits forS Students in Scotland Handbook. https://www.onlinepublications.cpag.org.uk/
    Last edited by sleepless saver; 20-05-2019 at 7:58 AM. Reason: To delete wrong information
    • sleepless saver
    • By sleepless saver 20th May 19, 7:56 AM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 2,431 Thanks
    sleepless saver
    My previous post is not relevant and I have edited it.
    What I should have quoted from CPAG guide (which is available in full at the link below) shows that nursing bursary is taken into account in assessing means tested benefits.

"Grants and loans
    Grants
    A grant is defined as an educational grant or award, bursary, scholarship or allowance, and does not include education maintenance allowance or discretionary fund payments.Footnote In general, grants intended for living costs are taken into account and grants for other costs are disregarded. For the way that discretionary funds are treated, see Cross reference.

If you are not eligible for a student loan, deduct from your grant:

390 for books and equipment;
    303 for travel.
    An assessed contribution from a partner or parent counts as income, whether or not you receive it. However, for income support (IS) and income-related employment and support allowance (ESA), if you are a disabled student, only include contributions that are actually paid.

Nursing and midwifery students' grants
    The following grants are disregarded:

childcare allowance;
    disabled students' allowance;
    dependants' allowance for a child, and single parents' allowance for IS, income-based JSA and income-related ESA. However, if you have been getting IS or JSA since before 6 April 2004 and still have amounts for children included, the dependants' allowance for a child and single parents' allowance are taken into account. These allowances are taken into account for HB in all cases.

The following are taken into account:

nursing and midwifery bursary;
    single parents' allowance for HB, and some existing IS and JSA claimants with no CTC award (see above);
    dependants' allowance for an adult;
    dependants' allowance for a child for HB, and some existing IS and JSA claimants with no CTC award (see above)."

Source: https://www.onlinepublications.cpag.org.uk/
    CPAG benefits for students in Scotland guide
    • Beclou
    • By Beclou 20th May 19, 12:03 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Beclou
    Student income definitely doesnt come into account when calculating tax credits. I have phoned them numerous times about this as I have had a year out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

264Posts Today

2,652Users online

Martin's Twitter