IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Options

Comments

• Queenieviolet
    Options
    OK - thanks tristona
    1% challenge - £4018 - reduce by 100 payments of £41.
  • DiddlyN
    DiddlyN Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    POPLA accepted my appeal against my UKPC parking charge. I would like to give a special thanks to Umkomaas, Redx, Northlakes, pogofish and The Deep for the help they gave me in my thread and also to Crabman for making the newbies thread.

It seems like UKPC didn't even try to win this case because the reason was:
    It is the Appellant’s case that the parking charge notice was issued incorrectly.

The Operator has not produced a copy of the parking charge notice, nor any evidence to show a breach of the conditions of parking occurred, nor any evidence that shows what the conditions of parking, in fact, were.
  • hhhhhhhhhh
    Options
    Appeal allowed - to be honest I didn't think I'd win but I did!

XX XXXXXXX 2015

Reference XXXXXXXXXX
    always quote in any communication with POPLA

XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX (Appellant)
    -v-
    ParkingEye Ltd (Operator)

The Operator issued parking charge notice number XXXXXX/XXXXXX arising out of the presence at St Augustin Retail Park, on XX XXXXXXX 2015, of a vehicle with registration mark XXXXXXXX.

The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge.

The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be allowed.

The Assessor’s reasons are as set out.

The Operator should now cancel the parking charge notice forthwith.

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination

The Operator issued parking charge notice number XXXXXX/XXXXXX arising out of the presence at St Augustin Retail Park, on XX XXXXXXX 2015, of a vehicle with registration mark XXXXXXX for remaining at the site for longer than authorised.

It is the Operator’s case that the Appellant’s vehicle remained at the site for longer than authorised and this was a breach of the terms and conditions of parking as set out on signage at the site.

The Appellant has made a number of submissions which I do not intend to deal with and will only elaborate on the reason why I am allowing this appeal, namely that the Operator does not have the authority from the landowner to issue parking charge notices.

The Appellant has asked to see proof that the Operator has the authority to issue parking charges. The Operator has failed to provide a copy of the contract between themselves and the landowner to show that they have the authority to issue parking charge notices and therefore I have no evidence before me to refute the Appellant’s submission. The onus is on the Operator to prove their case against the Appellant and on this occasion they have not done so.

Accordingly, this appeal must be allowed.

Nozir Uddin
    Assessor
  • 1505grandad
    1505grandad Posts: 2,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Appeal allowed.

[FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]It is not in dispute that the appellant’s vehicle was parked at the site and that a parking charge notice was issued after the operator’s employee observed the vehicle and concluded that no valid pay and display ticket was clearly displayed.

The appellant made a number of representations. However, it is only necessary to deal with the one upon which I am allowing the appeal, that the operator lacks the authority to issue and enforce parking charge notices in respect of the land.

The operator rejected these representations. On the question of authority, the operator stated that they had authority from the landowner for their activities.

Considering the evidence before me, I find that the operator has not provided any evidence that they have authority from the landowner to issue and enforce parking charge notices in respect of the site. The operator’s assertion to that effect is insufficient to show that any authority has been granted. Accordingly, I cannot find that the operator had sufficient rights in the land to enter into contracts in respect of it. Therefore the parking charge notice cannot be held to be validly issued. In the light of this, I am not required to consider the other issues raised by the appellant.

Accordingly, the appeal must be allowed.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]Christopher Monk

[FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]Assessor
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • SnowWhiterThanWhite
    Options
    A win!! Cheers guys :j:j:j

The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be allowed.

That car park has a maximum stay period of three hours. A parking charge notice was issued for the reason that the Appellant’s vehicle remained in the car park for more than three hours.
    The Appellant’s case is that the charge does not constitute a genuine pre-estimate of loss; the charge was unlawful; the Operator does not have authority to issue parking charges; the terms and conditions of parking were not displayed with sufficient prominence; the Operator failed to issue a valid notice to keeper; and the parking charge notice contained incorrect information.

The Operator rejects all of the Appellant’s submissions.

As regards the issue of whether a valid notice to keeper was given, liability for parking charges lies primarily with the driver; however, schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 provides that, in certain circumstances, the registered keeper of a vehicle may be held liable for parking charges incurred by the driver of the vehicle.
    It is for the Operator to establish that the Appellant was the driver. The Operator has failed to provide any evidence on this point, and as such I am satisfied that in this case the Appellant must be treated as the keeper, not the driver, of the vehicle.
    In order for the Operator to be able to recover unpaid charges from the registered keeper, four conditions must be met.
    The second of these conditions is that: either a notice to driver in accordance with paragraph 7 of the schedule, followed by a notice to keeper in accordance with paragraph 8 is given; or, a notice to keeper in accordance with paragraph 9 is given.
    These paragraphs set out the content each Notice is required to include. As liability is statutory, it is for the Operator to prove that all of the relevant content was included in the Notices.
    I am satisfied that the Operator issued a notice to driver compliant with paragraph 7. However, the Operator has not produced any evidence that a notice was issued in compliance with paragraph 8. Accordingly, the Operator has failed to show that the Appellant is liable as the keeper of the vehicle.
    I must therefore allow the appeal.
    It is therefore not necessary for me to address the other grounds raised by the Appellant.
    Jessica Hunter
    Assessor
    "Hope for the Best
    Prepare for the worst"
  • garricw
    garricw Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 21 July 2015 at 10:10PM
    Options
    It is the Appellant’s case that the charge does not constitute a genuine pre-estimate of loss; that the Operator does not have authority to enter into contracts with motorists using the car park; that the terms and conditions of parking were not adequately displayed in the car park; and that the Operator failed to issue a Notice to Keeper in compliance with Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.

Liability for parking charges lies primarily with the driver; however, the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 provides that, in certain circumstances as set out in Schedule 4, the registered keeper of a vehicle may be held liable for parking charges incurred by the driver of the vehicle.

In this case the Operator has not produced any evidence that the Appellant was the driver of the vehicle on 28 March 2015. As such the Appellant must be treated as the keeper and the Operator must comply with Schedule 4.

In order for the Operator to be able to recover unpaid charges from the registered keeper, four conditions must be met.

The second of these conditions is that: either a notice to driver in accordance with paragraph 7 of the schedule, followed by a notice to keeper in accordance with paragraph 8 is given; or, a notice to keeper in accordance with paragraph 9 is given.

These paragraphs set out the content each Notice is required to include. As liability is statutory, it is for the Operator to prove that all of the relevant content was included in the Notices. In this case, the Operator has not provided any evidence of any compliant Notices issued to the Appellant.

Consequently, I must find that the Operator has failed to show that any Notices issued complied with all of the requirements of paragraphs 7 and 8, or 9, of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, and so has not shown that the Appellant is liable for the charge as the keeper of the vehicle.

Further, the Operator has failed to show that the Appellant is liable as the driver of the vehicle. I must therefore allow the appeal.

It is therefore unnecessary for me to consider the other grounds of appeal raised by the Appellant.

Jessica Hunt

Assessor
  • garricw
    garricw Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys for the most up-to-date newbies draft. I have successfully defended myself 11 times this year and there are two more exciting ones where F1RST have provided the NTK but hopefully the points are enough for the appeals to be allowed. Below is another appeal that was won with your help. Thanks again

The Operator’s case is that the terms and conditions of use of site state that a valid ticket/permit is required to be displayed and the Appellant failed to comply with this requirement.

The Appellant has made a number of submissions, however, I will only elaborate on the one submission that I am allowing this appeal on, namely that the notice to keeper has not complied with the requirements of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.

The burden of proof is on the Operator to prove its case on balance of probabilities. Paragraph 4 of Schedule 4 outlines the relevant criteria and there are 4 conditions to be fulfilled in order for the Operator to recover any unpaid parking charge notice from the registered keeper. The first condition is that the Operator has the right to enforce against the driver of the vehicle the requirement to pay the parking charge notice. The second condition is that the Operator has given a notice to the keeper in accordance with paragraph 9. The third condition is that the Operator has made an application for the keeper’s details in relation to the period of parking to which the unpaid parking charges relate and the application was made during the relevant period for the purposes of paragraph 9 (4) where no notice to the driver was given. The fourth condition is that any applicable requirements prescribed under this paragraph were met at the beginning of the period of parking to which the unpaid parking charges relate.

As the Appellant has not admitted to being the driver of the vehicle and no evidence of this has provided, in order for the Appellant to be liable for this charge, the keeper liability requirements of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 must be complied with and the notice to keeper must be compliant with certain provisions. The Operator must provide evidence to show this has happened as the liability in this case is created by the statute and it is not based in the law of contract. In the present case, no evidence has been supplied of the existence of a notice to keeper in any form and I am unable to find the Appellant liable for this parking charge.

Accordingly, I allow this appeal.

Aurela Qerimi

Assessor
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    POPLA now seem to be making much more of compliance with PoFA 2012 to invoke keeper liability than they ever have hitherto (GPEOL was such a previously easy option for them, but now subject to Beavis).

Even more important then with BPA PPCs that the identity of the driver is not revealed. Push the PPCs down the keeper liability track then hit them with PoFA non compliance. More fish in a barrel?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Stealthnet2004
    Options
    Appeal allowed on point C, I was thinking it was going to be point B as the case for poor signage was poor to the point it Broke BPA AOS COP I am in the proccess of a complaint to BPA against UKPC, thanks for your help, power to the people!

21 July 2015
    Reference +++++++++
    always quote in any communication with POPLA
    +++++++++ (Appellant)
    -v-
    UK Parking Control Limited (Operator)
    The Operator issued parking charge notice number ++++++++ arising out of the presence at 68 High Road, Ilford, on ++/02/2015, of a vehicle with registration mark +++++++++.

+++++++
    21 July 2015
    At 12:++ on the ++ February 2015, the operative observed a vehicle with registration mark, ++++++++, parked at 68 High Road, Ilford. A parking charge notice was issued for parking in a permit area without displaying a valid permit.
    The Operator’s case is that there are sufficient signs on site warning drivers that should they choose to park without displaying a valid permit, they may become liable to receive a parking charge notice. A valid permit was not clearly displayed in the vehicle when the vehicle was observed and the motorist had therefore failed to park in accordance with the terms and conditions.
    The Appellant’s case is that:
    a) The charge is not a genuine pre estimate of loss.
    b) The signage at the site is unclear and a contract was therefore not formed with the driver of the vehicle.
    c) The Operator has not shown that they have the standing or authority to form contracts with drivers.
    Considering carefully all the evidence before me, the Appellant has stated that the Operator has failed to show that they have the standing or authority to form contracts with drivers. The onus is then on the Operator to show that they have the authority from the landowner to issue parking charge notices to vehicles parked in breach of the terms and conditions. It is for the Operator to address the issues raised by the Appellant and in this case, the Operator has failed to provide a copy of the contract in place or a signed witness statement which grants them the authority to enforce restrictions at the site. I consequently have no evidence before me to refute the Appellant’s submission that the Operator does not have the authority to issue parking charge notices to vehicles parked in contravention of the terms and conditions. It does not fall to me to decide any other issues raised by the Appellant.
    Accordingly, this appeal must be allowed.

Shehla Pirwany
    Assessor
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Updates and success reports are always welcome, stealth, and help other combatants. Thankyou and well done!
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback