Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Beclou
    • By Beclou 19th May 19, 9:52 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ESA/ joint claim
    • #1
    • 19th May 19, 9:52 AM
    ESA/ joint claim 19th May 19 at 9:52 AM
    Looking for a bit of advice for a family member. She works part time. 11 hr/Pw claims carer allownce for partner who gets ESA and pip. The doctor wants her to be signed off her work due to worsening arthritis. However, she obviously doesnt earn enough for sick pay. She has paid national insurance 2 out of the last 3 years.
    Would this be a joint claim for ESA? Is there anything else they can claim? Would he carers allownce stop?
    Any help much appreciated thanks!
Page 1
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 19th May 19, 10:54 AM
    • 3,109 Posts
    • 3,586 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • #2
    • 19th May 19, 10:54 AM
    • #2
    • 19th May 19, 10:54 AM
    I suggest she puts her details into a benefits calculator.

    Is the current ESA claim Contribution-based or Income-Based.

    Does she have enough NI contributions in the last 3 years to claim New-Style ESA in her own right?

    They really need to take all details / paperwork with them and get a benefit check from their local advice centre.
    Claiming an income-based benefit may mean a UC claim - that needs careful thought.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 19th May 19, 11:21 AM
    • 5,220 Posts
    • 4,809 Thanks
    • #3
    • 19th May 19, 11:21 AM
    • #3
    • 19th May 19, 11:21 AM
    They need to check if the ESA is income based, if it is then they should already be claiming as a couple because it's a means tested benefit.

    I agree with Alice that a visit to an advice agency for a full benefit check is needed.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 19th May 19, 3:53 PM
    • 2,587 Posts
    • 1,734 Thanks
    • #4
    • 19th May 19, 3:53 PM
    • #4
    • 19th May 19, 3:53 PM
    Adding to what Alice and poppy have said.

    Carer’s Allowance will not stop. She continues to be entitled provided she is still able to care for at least 35 hours per week.

    In addition to making sure she is included in partner’s ESA claim, she already should be if it is income based, she can look at whether she qualifies for PIP herself. This will depend on how her arthritis affects her.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

1,693Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this?

  • Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y?

  • Follow Martin