Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hardly Quim
    • By Hardly Quim 18th May 19, 10:58 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Hardly Quim
    Holiday abroad Universal Credits
    • 18th May 19, 10:58 AM
    Holiday abroad Universal Credits 18th May 19 at 10:58 AM
    I want to take and pay for a weeks holiday to my mate. He is on UC, he has been told he can go on holiday, but not abroad. It's only for a week, but it looks like he can't go?

Is this true? He is not trying to bend the rules. He has had a rough time of late and needs a holiday. If he 'signs off' I understand it's a real pain to get things sorted out again.

This is not a case of some workshy guy claiming benefits and living the life of Riley whilst the state pays. He a mate needs help and a holiday.
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 18th May 19, 11:57 AM
    • 6,566 Posts
    • 4,938 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 18th May 19, 11:57 AM
    • 18th May 19, 11:57 AM
    This is what I can find

However, if a claimant chooses to go on holiday in Great Britain or abroad
    they must continue to carry out the work-related requirements as set out on their Claimant
    Commitment.

No allowances are made within the conditionality regime for claimants going on holiday. For
    example claimants within the All Work-Related Requirements Group with no restrictions on
    their availability will still be expected to be immediately available to attend a job interview or
    take up an offer of employment, even if this means cutting short a holiday. They are also
    required to attend their normal appointments and failure to do so will incur a sanction.

Being on holiday would not be considered by a DWP Decision Maker as good reason for not
    carrying out any work search or availability requirements.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/298762/response/727736/attach/html/2/FOI%204569%20reply.pdf.html

Obviously attending any interview would be easier if in the UK rather than abroad.
    • huckster
    • By huckster 18th May 19, 12:50 PM
    • 3,636 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    huckster
    • 18th May 19, 12:50 PM
    • 18th May 19, 12:50 PM
    As already advised, providing they meet the claimant commitment, nothing stopping them having a holiday for a week.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • Hardly Quim
    • By Hardly Quim 18th May 19, 3:44 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Hardly Quim
    • 18th May 19, 3:44 PM
    • 18th May 19, 3:44 PM
    Many thanks, maybe if he asked his 'handler' and shown them the link above they may well 'authorise' the holiday. Better to be honest in this situation.
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 18th May 19, 8:33 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 1,982 Thanks
    tomtom256
    • 18th May 19, 8:33 PM
    • 18th May 19, 8:33 PM
    You can be out of the country for upto 28 days as long as you continue to comply with your commitments.

Obviously I would get them to let their work coach know so they dont miss an appointment whilst away and face a sanction.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,150Posts Today

4,979Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin