Should the whole family forfeit the holiday?

Comments

• Dorrie
    Dorrie Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not sure what I would do as I honestly think it would be highly unlikely to happen as I would check passports in plenty of time! And health insurance cover. My youngest child hasn't got a passport at the moment, although the rest of the family have (all three children were on my passport - which, at the time, just showed name, dob and sex so I could have taken anyone's child with me! - but I knew that they needed their own passports at 16. I left it until last year when the eldest had just turned 17 and was going to Italy with a college course, my 15 year old was going to go on a German exchange trip, and my passport was actually due to expire. Because of the cost, I didn't get my daughter's done because it could be years before she needs it. My point is that I KNOW she hasn't got one and would check if we ever decided to go abroad).

I think I would either get someone else to look after the 8 year old and give her a massive treat later, or have one parent take the other child whilst the other parent stayed behind. Don't think it is really fair to force child with a passport to miss out completely due to parent's incompetence.
  • I would have checked and double checked everything was in order before the holiday. The thought of losing £2500 would be the driving force. Perhaps these people have more money than I do.
  • I would pay the amendment fees, and swap the holiday date to give us enough time to get the passport renewed.
  • Glyn
    Glyn Posts: 9 Forumite
    the two should go ( so as not to lose the money spent on the ticket. Its neither of the children's fault the adults were not 'on the ball' enough to check the passoort dates. Then , as and when the passport is sorted the other two can go...... Or save so all 4 can go next time together.
  • harrumph wrote: »
    I would have checked and double checked everything was in order before the holiday. The thought of losing £2500 would be the driving force. Perhaps these people have more money than I do.

same here it would just never happen......i check our passports before i book a holiday if a short/late notice one and right after booking if booking well in advance.....i cant believe people dont do this!

but...in answer to the op.....the whole family would miss out and go and a later date.
  • cobbingstones
    cobbingstones Posts: 1,011 Forumite
    I think I'd go to the Head Office in Cardiff and try to get one asap. One parent and child to go together then the others could meet up there. If we could not get a passport that quickly, then we'd have to leave the holiday. It would not be in my opinion fair because of our mistake to let one child go and not the other.

MM
  • teddyco
    teddyco Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why not just push for a small passport office in every airport?
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If it was my family - Mrs Cat would go with the child with the valid passport & I'd stay at home and have some bonus one on one time with the child with the invalid passport.
    Then, once I've managed to get the duff passport sorted out, see if we could make tracks over the Atlantic and rejoin Mrs Cat & MTK :beer:

blackcat.gif
  • Knowing me, I would probably find out what my travel insurance would cover, say sudden illness for eg. lie and say the kid/family was taken ill the day before the trip with food poisoning or something, have the passport renewed and the date amended and have the travel insurance pay the amendment fees!

How immoral am I? *LOL* Will NOT forfeit my 2500 quid, and will NOT leave her behind! How cruel is that??? :eek:
    :dance: *inhales deeply* "Ahhhhh! I love the smell of a good deal in the morning! (or just about any time, really...)" :dance:
  • gaily
    gaily Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Try the emergency 1 day service at the passport office. If it's passport renewal, rather than application then you should be OK.

I would see what the travel agent could do. If one parent could fly out with child one on *wednesday*, the other parent sorts the passport out that day - but ensures that something fun is done with the other child so they don't feel too left out. They could then fly out *thursday*. Accomodation would alreayd be booked, and just lose 1 day of holiday.

How stupid not to check these things first - you wouldn't go on holiday without checking your tickets have arrived, and that usually happens a good few days before - I normally put passports with tickets when they arrive - and check check and triple check the dates.

Anyway, just as an aside - aren't there a couple of countries that need you to have 6 months left on your passport past the date of travel?? Just a thought
    Always on the hunt for a bargain. :rolleyes:

Always grateful for any hints, tips or guidance as to where the best deals are:smileyhea
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure