Advice needed on rent

Options

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 October 2019 at 9:55AM
    Options
    I am really confused by the person posting these threads.

They have also posted to Consumer Action Group (CAG), providing conflicting information. According to CAG the Pension starts from November, so presumably their husband is still receiving ESA and in the Support group.

"We are a mixed aged couple and my partner receives his state pension of £168 per week beginning of November."

I don't want to be rude, but either the person posting these threads is totally incapable of dealing with this matter or they are being deliberately vague.

On the CAG thread they were asked about other benefits and did not advise about the PIP claim. Why not disclose this, so people are clear about the the exact position ?
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • huckster
    Options
    So do the benefits changes only start from November 2019 ?

Pension start date ?

ESA claim still running, but will be closed from pension start date ?
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 October 2019 at 10:49AM
    Options
    huckster wrote: »
    So do the benefits changes only start from November 2019 ?

Pension start date ?

ESA claim still running, but will be closed from pension start date ?

These are really important questions. If the pension has not yet started I would recommend claiming UC a few days in advance of reaching State Pension age. Although this will end the ESA claim slightly early it would result in the UC claim and the ESA claim being continuous in which case husband should be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of the UC claim and will not have to wait for 3 months. Hopefully they will also avoid a WCA reassessment.
    On the CAG thread they were asked about other benefits and did not advise about the PIP claim. Why not disclose this, so people are clear about the the exact position ?

OP, you must realise that any advice given here can only be based on the information you provide. If the information is incomplete the advice may not be appropriate to your circumstances.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    Options
    I am really confused by the person posting these threads.

They have also posted to Consumer Action Group (CAG), providing conflicting information. According to CAG the Pension starts from November, so presumably their husband is still receiving ESA and in the Support group.

Hadn't spotted that. I can now see that most of what is covered in this thread has already been fully covered here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6000713
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • huckster
    Options
    So as your husband is currently receiving ESA in the support group, you both claim Universal Credit as a couple before the start date of the Pension.

This must be done before the Pension start date which will end the ESA claim, to protect entitlement of support group/LCWRA.

Universal Credit can add the support group equivalent of LCWRA, which I think is £336.20 and I don't think the LCWRA would then be subject to reassessment. I believe Government announced that those of pension age would not be subject to reassessment. But this would need to be checked.
  • rosey-789
    Options
    I am very sorry and don't mean to mislead anyone with my posts and I did mention he receives pip. I didn't actually think him being on esa at moment would make a difference as that stops the 5 Nov and his state pension starts. I'm not very educated or up on benefits hence my confusion and worry in my posts and just wanted to seek advice and help from others online as we aren't getting any from welfare rights or council. my partner has recently recovered from a heart attack and I have a newly diagnosed irregular heartbeat and this is all very worrying so if anyone thinks I'm being untruthful I can only apologise for it and thank you for the advice you have all given me.

It was a lady from welfare rights who told us not to claim uc or we'd lose the carers allowance.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    Options
    rosey-789 wrote: »
    I am very sorry and don't mean to mislead anyone with my posts and I did mention he receives pip. I didn't actually think him being on esa at moment would make a difference as that stops the 5 Nov and his state pension starts. I'm not very educated or up on benefits hence my confusion and worry in my posts and just wanted to seek advice and help from others online as we aren't getting any from welfare rights or council. my partner has recently recovered from a heart attack and I have a newly diagnosed irregular heartbeat and this is all very worrying so if anyone thinks I'm being untruthful I can only apologise for it and thank you for the advice you have all given me.

It was a lady from welfare rights who told us not to claim uc or we'd lose the carers allowance.
    You were given the exact same advice in your thread 5 months ago. You now need to take calcotti's advice in post #24.
  • calcotti
    edited 19 October 2019 at 5:13PM
    Options
    OP, to be absolutely clear.
    If your husband reaches State Pension age on 5th November I recommend you claim UC before then. I believe you will then be entitled to UC as detailed at post #21. Your total monthly income will, by my calculation, be £1,337.62 plus PIP. You may be entitled to some help with your Council Tax too.

If you delay claiming UC until after 5th November you will lose out on 3 months of payments.
  • rosey-789
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »
    OP, to be absolutely clear.
    If your husband reaches State Pension age on 5th November I recommend you claim UC before then. I believe you will then be entitled to UC as detailed at post #21. Your total monthly income will, by my calculation, be £1,337.62. You may be entitled to some help with your Council Tax too.

If you delay claiming UC until after 5th November you will lose out on 3 months of payments.

When would you suggest applying for it because the welfare rights lady said we'd lose that weeks last payment of esa and to wait till we received then start the claim on the 5th.
  • huckster
    edited 19 October 2019 at 5:06PM
    Options
    Why not apply for UC on 4th November 2019.

Your ESA will end from 4th November 2019 anyway, so you will receive ESA up to this date.

It might be advisable that you ask for help with the process of applying for UC online, as you need to make sure you get all of the details correct.

When I commented about you leaving information out, some people do this deliberately on online forums for privacy or other reasons and some people are just not able to deal with such things as benefit claims.

The Job Centre might be able to assist you, if you ask for help in advance. They may be able to book you in to receive digital assistance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure