Avios Points Boosting guide discussion

Comments

• cassis
    cassis Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well spotted!

I've just logged into my BAEC account and see they're also offering the 2000 avios points per quarter as a new way of collecting.

So might...

1) link my Shell Drivers club a/c to the BAEC Avios scheme (where i've earned previously flight and Tesco Clubcard Avios points)

2) Wait a few weeks till my e-shopping points appear and give me a non-zero balance on my new regular/mainAvios/Avios.com account and redeem another Tesco Clubcard voucher for Avios.

Seriously confusing and completely bonkers! (especially having the same name, with interchangeable 'currency' for quite seperate schemes!
    Roger1 wrote: »
    Very, very confusing. What work experience trainee devised schemes using the name Avios both as a currency (for BA and IB frequent flyer programmes as well as avios.com) and the name for the expired Airmiles scheme? :eek:The Tesco and Shell bonus offers apply to qualifying members of BOTH BAEC and avios.com. 'Qualifying' means existing members who have had at least 1 Avios/Airmiles credit in the past year and have not credited with the new partners in that time - but do check T+Cs as my summary may not be sufficient.

The 6,000/12,000 is actually 8,000/16,000 since the offer began in November, but the first quarter finished yesterday, hence the remaining 6,000/12,000 now on offer.Leaving aside 'the main Avios scheme' for the moment, perhaps ask the press office to confirm that they are available to all qualifying Avios collectors, be they BAEC or avios.com?Yes!

One point seems to have been overlooked. These 2,000 Avios per quarter bonuses are two different versions of the New Partners offer to avios.com and BAEC collectors. Collect qualifying Avios from 'new' partners and receive 2,000 bonus Avios per quarter, roughly Dec-Feb, Mar-May, June-Aug and Sep-Nov (Shell is different). Avios.com has FOUR potential partners: Tesco, Shell, British Airways and Lloyds TSB Duo Avios credit cards; BAEC just Tesco and Shell.

FWIW, I'm looking for three bonuses for the Nov-Feb quarter from avios.com (Shell is far too complicated for me) and one from BAEC. In view of all the confusion, I will not be surprised if I have to chase some of them. (For example, it took over two months and an amount of persuasion for a BA flight to be credited to my avios.com account).

A request: may we please stop talking about 'the main Avios scheme'. At least some of us collect Avios with both avios.com and BAEC and in any event they are transferable between accounts. If necessary, how about BAEC Avios and avios.com Avios? (Stupid, I know, but that comes from the BA marketing genius who thought up the whole Avios nonsense branding.)

BAEC bonus Avios T+Cs are at http://www.britishairways.com/travel/shopping-offer-tc-ec/public/en_gb
    Avios.com bonus Avios T+Cs are at http://www.avios.com/collect/get-more
  • egpx
    egpx Posts: 39 Forumite
    Having thought I'd just about got the hang of this Avios/BAEC club malarkey all this 'new way of collecting' business has thrown me a curveball that is almost impossible to hit.

I'm a long time Airmiles collector from Tesco, so long in fact I'm still collecting at the 80 miles rate that they introduced at the beginning of the scheme for those that spent an average of £60 per week at the retail giant. This was soon stopped but some clause meant that those already receiving this rate of exchange would continue to do so for as long as they remained in the clubcard scheme. I bet some middle management type at Tesco got his knuckles rapped for that one...

The upshot is that I'm now collecting Avios at a rate of 800 per £2.50 rather than 600 and am loathed to do anything that would change this state of affairs. This includes changing the destination of those Tesco Avios to the BAEC, of which I'm now a member, to get the 6000 bonus Avios over the next three quarters. Of course the 80 mile/800 Avios rate might be transferable from the Avios scheme to the BAEC scheme but I don't want to take the risk.

Changing the subject, I reckon that using Avios for upgrades provides excellent value. A £900 World Traveller Plus ticket to Atlanta can be upgraded to Club World for 25,000 Avios (plus a bit of extra tax). However, if you pay with a BA Amex card you will get 3 Avios for every pound you have spent (as it is through the BA website) AND you will get a load of Avios from BA when you take the flight as you have bought a WT+ ticket. In fact you will get more than half those Avios back so in ballpark figures about 12,000 Avios will get you something like £2500 worth of benefit.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    egpx wrote: »
    The upshot is that I'm now collecting Avios at a rate of 800 per £2.50 rather than 600 and am loathed to do anything that would change this state of affairs. This includes changing the destination of those Tesco Avios to the BAEC, of which I'm now a member, to get the 6000 bonus Avios over the next three quarters. Of course the 80 mile/800 Avios rate might be transferable from the Avios scheme to the BAEC scheme but I don't want to take the risk.
    Although Avios can be transferred between schemes, I don't think the earning rates can.

There's a way round this to get the extra 2,000 bonus Avios per quarter. If you qualify (and you need to check the qualification rules), transfer just enough Clubcard points once per quarter to trigger the bonus. At the 600 rate, this will be £7.50 in points earning 1,800 Avios. (Minimum to trigger the bonus is 1,500 Avios. For comparison, at the 800 rate you need to transfer just £5.00.) Then transfer the remaining points to BAEC at the 800 rate thus maximising the offers.

Mrs Roger and I transferred a bundle of points yesterday, to BAEC @ 800 and the minimum to avios.com @ 600. The BAEC Avios are already in our accounts at the normal rate. The bonuses should appear in a couple of weeks or so. As usual, the avios.com credits are nowhere to be seen, but they will appear in due course.
  • trevorh
    trevorh Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 2 March 2012 at 10:38AM
    Can anyone confirm if you can use your Tesco clubcard points for more than one BAEC account.

My wife has more points than me so I wish to convert some into her BAEC a/c and some into mine.

I don't see why it shouldn't work but anyone done it successfully?
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It wont work - name on the account must match the name on the clubcard.
    Legal team on standby
  • trevorh
    I guess a follow on question is can you take advantage of the bonus offer for both your BAEC and Avios accounts separately, I think from what has been said this should work?
  • egpx
    Roger1 wrote: »
    Although Avios can be transferred between schemes, I don't think the earning rates can.

There's a way round this to get the extra 2,000 bonus Avios per quarter. If you qualify (and you need to check the qualification rules), transfer just enough Clubcard points once per quarter to trigger the bonus. At the 600 rate, this will be £7.50 in points earning 1,800 Avios. (Minimum to trigger the bonus is 1,500 Avios. For comparison, at the 800 rate you need to transfer just £5.00.) Then transfer the remaining points to BAEC at the 800 rate thus maximising the offers.

Mrs Roger and I transferred a bundle of points yesterday, to BAEC @ 800 and the minimum to avios.com @ 600. The BAEC Avios are already in our accounts at the normal rate. The bonuses should appear in a couple of weeks or so. As usual, the avios.com credits are nowhere to be seen, but they will appear in due course.

Hmmm, that's interesting. The only problem I have is that I'm on that system whereby all my clubcard points are automatically converted to avios Avios. I would have to stop that arrangement and then manually assign the clubcard vouchers to both avios Avios and BAEC Avios with the minimum number to earn the bonus going to BAEC and the rest to avios to obtain the higher rate. But would pulling out of the automatic scheme affect the rate I get? I guess I could phone up Clubcard and ask...

It all seems pretty silly when what you end up with are some Avios that are worth the same if they are deposited in your avios account or your BAEC account.
  • egpx
    trevorh wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if you can use your Tesco clubcard points for more than one BAEC account.

My wife has more points than me so I wish to convert some into her BAEC a/c and some into mine.

I don't see why it shouldn't work but anyone done it successfully?

What you can do is link your BAEC accounts into a Household Account which should enable you to use eachother's avios no matter whose clubcard has collected them ;)
  • trevorh
    egpx wrote: »
    What you can do is link your BAEC accounts into a Household Account which should enable you to use eachother's avios no matter whose clubcard has collected them ;)

Unfortunately you can only take advantage of the quarterly bonus once per household account.

I have just removed my household account for this very reason so I can get one bonus for each of us.
  • egpx
    trevorh wrote: »
    Unfortunately you can only take advantage of the quarterly bonus once per household account.

I have just removed my household account for this very reason so I can get one bonus for each of us.

Ah, right, got you now. Things are never easy are they?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure