Post office savings account online access denied

Hi all,

I've been trying to transfer some savings for a house purchase and ended up calling their customer service as it was saying transfer cannot be applied at this time.

spoke to customer service who said the technical team had gone home and to call back tomorrow...

scared stiff as the money needs transferring asap - do I have any recourse if this causes a legal problem in the sale?

thanks in advance

Ella

Comments

• Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ambassador
    No recourse, but I would contact them again at the first opportunity tomorrow, as if you are making the payments via CHAPS it will hit the account by the end of the day tomorrow. Be prepared to jump over a few hurdles as it will be a high value i'm assuming.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • thanks westie - sucks to have money and be deprived of it
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi all,

I've been trying to transfer some savings for a house purchase and ended up calling their customer service as it was saying transfer cannot be applied at this time.

spoke to customer service who said the technical team had gone home and to call back tomorrow...

scared stiff as the money needs transferring asap - do I have any recourse if this causes a legal problem in the sale?

thanks in advance

Ella

Yes, with the person who decided it was a good idea to leave it until the very last minute to save two quid on interest.
  • AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Yes, with the person who decided it was a good idea to leave it until the very last minute to save two quid on interest.

thanks for your comment actually it was down to taking my eye off the ball due to bereavement

oh that and thinking that an online account with instant access might be instantly accessible at least within a day or so.....never encountered this with other accounts.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi,

sometimes they have limit on transfers per day.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    oh that and thinking that an online account with instant access might be instantly accessible at least within a day or so.....never encountered this with other accounts.

It's not at all uncommon for large transfers to be held up, for a variety of obvious reasons, plus of course Sod's law.
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    A quick google search reveals that the service provided by the Post Office savings accounts is indeed very very poor. There have been a few reviews with account holders not able to complete of purchases due to their poor service.

To the OP - it probably is something to worry about given the reviews so i would assume the worse case and get onto the PO asap to resolve the issue. If the purchase does fall through because you could not pay the funds to the solicitor, you are liable even though it is the post offices fault. whether you will then have a claim against the PO i am not sure but i doubt you would be fully compensated.

Should be a lesson to everyone not to use the Post Office when it comes to house purchases. I would even go so far as saying not to use them full stop. I have a relative who has had issues with them and its just not worth the time and hassle dealing with these morons at the Post Office.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure