PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Soda Stream - is it worth buying?

I like fizzy drinks a lot but storing large bottles takes up a lot of room so I was considering buying one of these instead. I've read some reviews but a lot of people seem to review it shortly after they've bought it. I'd prefer to know a bit more about it after using it long term.

Does anyone have one? They're quite expensive so I don't want to buy one if they're not really worth it.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 June 2016 at 9:19PM
    Yes if you want a good supply of fizzy water which is all we use ours for. We've tried the concentrates and don't like any of them at all but the fizzy water it makes is super and we run on it all the time.

Should have said this is the second one we've had, they changed the gas cylinders that the old one used and offered us a half price updated one which we accepted as the old one was from the 1980s.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks MrsLurcherwalker, Can I ask which model you have? There seems to be a lot of different ones. I'm trying to decide if it would be best to buy one of the higher spec ones or if the cheaper ones as just as good.
  • midnightraven3
    midnightraven3 Posts: 2,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I use ours to make fizzy water, but our son uses it with squash, not the concentrates, they are very chemical tasting
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,760 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I also use mine with squash rather than the official concentrates.
  • Hi RIPPLYUK sorry for being so long replying but we've been looking for the paperwork that came with the new one and finally found it!!! What we have is a SODASTREAM 'JET' I think it's the cheapest model they do and we've had it now for 3 years, it works well for the fizzy water and the gas cylinders are available at Argos and can also be sent to your home through the post.
  • ripplyuk
    That's very kind of you to search out the paperwork :).

I'll go with one of the cheaper models. It's good to know yours has lasted a few years so I don't see any point in paying extra for the more expensive ones. Thanks for the tip about Argos for the gas, especially as it seems Amazon won't post them to my area for some reason. I pass an Argos store regularly so can easily pick them up.

Just checked, and they also do some sort of cylinder exchange which reduces the price.
  • foolofbeans
    foolofbeans Posts: 385 Forumite
    I got one second hand as many are bought and forgotten about. Ours is now sat on the side doing nothing as I can never find the syrup at the supermarket.
    I did work it out that it is cheaper to buy own brand fizzy drinks from the supermarket (e.g 2 for 90p @ Morrisons) as the cost of gas and replacement bottles soon adds up.
    The plastic bottles are quite expensive I think (£9.99 for 2) and they have an expiry date which is weird.
    All in all it is a gadget that kids love but not always that useful
  • ripplyuk
    I was planning to just use diluting squash, instead of buying the concentrates, but I've no idea what it'll taste like. I usually buy the own brand fizzy drinks, big bottles which work out cheapest, but I find that the fizz is gone from them quickly after opening. It makes it pointless to store them for any length. I know the supermarkets do own brand cans too, so maybe they would still work out cheaper.

Might have a look on eBay etc for a second hand one.
  • We usually buy the 17p per 2l fizzy water, mostly have it plain but sometimes dilute with squash. Does anyone know if a soda stream works out cheaper?
  • ripplyuk
    I very much doubt it'll work out cheaper than buying budget own-brands. I think the plus side is that you don't need to carry or store large bottles. That's why I'm interested anyway.

Having said that, I haven't actually worked out the cost, I've just assumed. The gas does seem expensive. They say one canister will do up to 60 litres but from what I've read today, that's only if you make it barely fizzy at all.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback