ESA and full time education

After having a chat with my OT she suggested i look into trying to return to some level (most likely college) of full time education. I know part-time courses aren't counted but full time are. I've found some info which suggests that (IR) ESA can be claimed by a full time student as long as they receive DLA. I do but just wondered if anyone can clarify this is definitely the case? If not will look into p/t instead but thought it worth asking (one of my gials for this week).

Also what would the effect on CTB and HB be?

Thanks

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    What level of course (not where you're doing it) are you thinking of doing as the finances will depend on this?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    What level of course (not where you're doing it) are you thinking of doing as the finances will depend on this?
    It would be level 3 most likely (and i already have a degree so think that means i can't get ALG?)
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2010 at 7:59PM
    If you are in receipt of DLA then I think FTE is ok. I'll see if I can find the relevant part of the DMG.

Could only find this from CPAG:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What does it mean for full-time students?
    Full-time students who would have qualified for income support because they had been incapable of work for 28 weeks or more will not have access to income-related ESA on a similar ground; this will only be possible if they get DLA. This will mean people with a long-term illness, but without the care or mobility needs necessary to qualify for DLA, will be unable to get a means-tested benefit if they enter full-time education. Although, in higher education, receipt of the student loan or other student funding would have meant no or greatly reduced entitlement during the academic year, in the summer vacation this income would have been very important. Such income will no longer be available to full-time students without DLA. Similarly students on courses of further education who do not get DLA, and are only eligible for income-related ESA, will not be able to stay on benefit during the course. Under the IS rules a disabled student would usually be able to stay on their income support, whether or not they get DLA, and pursue a course of further education.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In addition, students who are eligible for ESA (contributory or income-related) and found to be in the work-related activity group rather than the support group will, it is expected, be required to attend work-focused health-related assessments and work-focused interviews. It is not known how easy it will be to have these deferred if someone is engaged in full-time education. Further down the line, the Government intends people in the work-related activity group to engage in work-related activity. It remains to be seen whether this will also be required of full-time students.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Part-time students
    Part-time students are not subject to any special rules when claiming ESA. They will be eligible for contributory ESA if they have paid enough NI contributions or are eligible under the youth conditions. They can claim income-related ESA if they satisfy the means test; unlike the full-time student rules, there is no requirement that they get DLA.
    [/FONT]
  • DanielleNic87
    DanielleNic87 Posts: 1,064
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Are you under the age of 25?

Danielle

February GC £26.68/£250

• System
    Community Admin
    Are you under the age of 25?

Danielle
    Yes, i'm 23
  • DanielleNic87
    Forumite
    Yes i think you would be entitled under ESA in Youth. So you would be entitled to ESA (IR), are you currently recieving ESA?

February GC £26.68/£250

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Yes i think you would be entitled under ESA in Youth. So you would be entitled to ESA (IR), are you currently recieving ESA?

There are more criteria than just being under 25. Nonetheless, AFAIK the OP is already in receipt of ESA.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • System
    Community Admin
    Yes currently recieiving ESA and in the support group (with disability premium) and DLA (mid care and low mobility)
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite

ESA in Youth is not the same as ESA (IR).
  • DanielleNic87
    Forumite
    healy wrote: »
    ESA in Youth is not the same as ESA (IR).

I know,thanks.

But if he satisfies ESA (y) than they can still carry on with ESA (IR) and start full time education providing their are in receipt of DLA.

For ESA (y) you have to get backated medical evidence for the Qualifying Period (196 days).

February GC £26.68/£250

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport