On water meter tariff with no water meter

I got a new supply pipe. And I presumed and was told they would fit a new water meter. However there’s still not one their. We are on a water meter tariff with a zero reading as water meter. It even says they have the meter reading a week ago.

What now? Keep paying it the very low charge(standing charge) Because they are aware of issue.

Comments

• Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,398
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Are you sure there isn't a meter at the other end of the supply pipe? Possibly down a hole in the pavement beyond your property boundary?

The Zero reading would just be the opening read, it may be several months before they send someone for a second reading.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    They will probably estimate the suplied amount when they do fit a meter so just put some money aside to cover that.
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,085
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Put some money aside, they have ways to back bill based on estimations.
    There was a leak at my flat when I moved in, and the last reading had been taken 6 months prior when the previous tenants left (and when the leak started!). Leak was spotted and fixed before I moved in but it took a week to track down which meter was mine (among the 30 holes in the ground) to give an initial reading. They said they would track a months normal use for myself, and from there confirm that only a tiny portion of the huge outstanding bill was really mine.
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mrbg07546 wrote: »
    I got a new supply pipe. And I presumed and was told they would fit a new water meter. However there’s still not one their. We are on a water meter tariff with a zero reading as water meter. It even says they have the meter reading a week ago.

What now? Keep paying it the very low charge(standing charge) Because they are aware of issue.

Really?

Can you post a copy of the latest bill you have received please?
    (Remove your name & address, and customer account number first)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I was told that our meter could go outside, under the pavement but the fitter said it had to go under the sink unless I wanted to wait for several weeks as pavements need to be lifted by a separate works department, so your meter could be outside, as mentioned above.

Our tariff began on the day of fitting and my RV based direct debit was adjusted to allow for an estimated saving.

The meter was read (remotely as no one came to the house) and a bill issued six months on . However, even with the estimated monthly payment we were well into credit, so the on going payments are under £4,until we catch up.
  • I bought a house in January, and have had it fully refurbished I have been receiving bills with water meter and zero usage so I contacted them and told them there is no meter as I have never seen it.
    They said it was fitted before I moved in i have never seen it. Now they want to charge me to refit it??
    Can anyone help please
    Its about 400-500
  • As previous posts suggest, they may have actually performed a meter exchange aswell as a replacement of your supply pipe which would indicate zero consumption.

However, depending on how you’re billed whether that’s quarterly or monthly it depends. If it is quarterly then you won’t see any consumption until the technician visits the property and takes a meter reading, of which you will be billed.

However if you’re on a monthly instalment plan paying only the standing charges then you should ideally get set up on a plan that’s suitable for you as the charges will only end up accumulating as a debit balance (when the account is billed) which in turn, will increase your monthly instalments.

Hope this helps.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Each meter that is fitted will have notes attached to the account to give its location. My mums is under her sink, my dads is in an old inspection hatch in the pavement outside the boundary wall and mine is in somebody else's garden under their kitchen window!!

You water company should have details of its exact location
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport