Employment Tribunal - unfair dismissal - student surveys

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 February 2017 at 11:55PM
    Euclid wrote: »
    I need some help in the following: has anyone heard that a teacher/lecturer was ever dismissed for falsifying students' surveys?

You don't need to look even that far and it saddens me that a supposedly highly educated person cannot see that cheating, deceit and deception would be looked on as anything other than being extremely serious by an employer.

Falsification of anything in any job is usually treated very seriously by your employer and in many cases can be deemed to be gross misconduct because it is effectively tantamount to fraud.
  • OP has still not reviewed the post which was uploaded some 36-40 hours ago.
  • Tarambor wrote: »
    You don't need to look even that far and it saddens me that a supposedly highly educated person cannot see that cheating, deceit and deception would be looked on as anything other than being extremely serious by an employer.

Falsification of anything in any job is usually treated very seriously by your employer and in many cases can be deemed to be gross misconduct because it is effectively tantamount to fraud.

I couldn't agree more. Particularly as this is about student feedback and he is, presumably, involved in grading their work.

That is why I feel this totally hinges or did he or did he not do it!
  • I couldn't agree more. Particularly as this is about student feedback and he is, presumably, involved in grading their work.

That is why I feel this totally hinges or did he or did he not do it!

If it's done online I can't see how he could of falsified them if I recall correctly when you submit your work for that module you have a review page at the end. Signed into your portal with your student ID.

Op, perhaps you can give us more details.
  • pioneer22 wrote: »
    If it's done online I can't see how he could of falsified them if I recall correctly when you submit your work for that module you have a review page at the end. Signed into your portal with your student ID.

Op, perhaps you can give us more details.

Quite, but presumably the university must feel they have sound reason to believe he did to have taken such drastic action? As I say, it all hinges on whether it is reasonable for them to have that belief, which is not quite the same thing as are they correct.
  • Maybe it was from the same IP address.
  • OP has still not reviewed the thread which was uploaded some 2 days ago !
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    OP has still not reviewed the thread which was uploaded some 2 days ago !

You don't actually know that. You don't need to login to read, only to post.

As it was also a first post he may have another ID and created a new one for this to preserve anonymity.
  • You don't actually know that. You don't need to login to read, only to post.

As it was also a first post he may have another ID and created a new one for this to preserve anonymity.

Did not know that.

Regardless, it's a bit odd that the OP did not reconnect.

When the OP disappears there is a danger, as happens many times on this forum, that members start arguing amongst themselves !
  • Euclid_2
    Euclid_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    emsywoo123 wrote: »
    I am lecturer in FE as opposed to HE, but we also have the student surveys and accounts at the end of modules, and I cannot even imagine *how* you could falsify them, let alone why.... do they form part of your KPIs?

They count for nothing; I don't know what KPIs stands for but I guess the answer is - "no".
    The surveys have been set up by the departmental secretary in a very incompetent was, so they need no passwd or anything and multiple entries could be submitted by one and the same person; also they can be submitted via simple add-on by an arbitrary IP address (not the IP address of the actual computer). Everything started when they started redundancy cases for our dept and all of a sudden the "discovered" that in one of my last year surveys I had 69 responses out of 48 students in class ...When secretary looked at IPs it turned out that 48 were submitted by my office IPs (NOT by me!!! though - I am not that stupid to submit myself 48 entries for a class of 48; besides, as I have pointed out my feedback response has been always good as percentage of answers and as opinions)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure