edited 23 October 2014 at 10:25AM in Energy
This is a feedback thread on energy supplier
Npower

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
  • Did you switch go smoothly?
  • Have you had problems since?
  • Is it easy to contact?
The feedback comes as part of the
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• 25.6_Pre-contract_oblig
    25.6_Pre-contract_oblig Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 December 2015 at 7:24PM
    Options
    As documented in
    Warning: npower accept new customers without sending them a Contract
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4273611
    There are lots of people having problems switching to npower.

We now have evidence of knock on effects of the 'new system' affecting existing Customers too.
    The most recent posts (Page 8, Post #141 ff) have some of this evidence as well as links to other relevant threads.

Ofgem are aware of the systemic issue at npower (see Post #134).

However, Ofgem have not made any public announcement of an Investigation and it is not clear what assurances (if any) they have received from npower as to how and when npower will have a 'compliant system'.

See also the survey at Which? - conducted in October and November 2012.
    http://www.which.co.uk/switch/energy-suppliers/energy-companies-rated
    I guess, in light of the ongoing issues that it will take npower a long time to improve their rating.

Edited to Add 19-Dec-2015

On 18 December 2015 Ofgem published their Penalty Notice
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/npower_penalty_notice.pdf

npower have to pay £26million to their Customers and to some charities.

I have now read Ofgem's official Penalty Notice, the 22 page "npower_penalty_notice.pdf" linked above.
    It is damming. It documents 9 breaches from July 2011 onwards.
    Some of the issues with Complaints System are, according to Ofgem's investigation, still ongoing!
    See Table 4.1

My response includes:

1. It is very sad that this entirely preventable mess was not halted sooner.

In the thread
    Warning: npower accept new customers without sending them a Contract
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4273611

we have plenty of evidence that npower knew they had issues with their new SAP system (in September 2012)
    and
    Ofgem were aware on 15 November 2012.

Ofgem's reply to me is documented here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=58041333#post58041333
    in post #134 of that thread.

See also para 5.19 of the Penalty Notice:
    "5.19. npower reported issues with the SAP billing platform to Ofgem in December 2012. The possibility of contravention was highlighted by Ofgem and was re-enforced through evidence gathered during the investigative phase. npower did not report any possible breaches of the SLCs or CHRs however. This factor therefore does not
    apply."

I have quoted this paragraph in full. I wonder WHEN npower would have 'officially acknowledged to Ofgem' that they had an issue had it not been for the thread at MSE and the evidence provided by myself and other posters?

2. I am grateful that the MSE Forums helped bring this to light. There many posts and links in that thread that illustrate that in 2012 and 2013 it was abundantly clear that npower had major issues with their 'new SAP system'.

Ironically, npower's 'old system' actually handled [some aspects of] the complaints better than the new system.

(see para 3.19).
    "... As of July 2015 npower’s in-house complaints services reverted fully to use of a legacy complaints system (ONCE) which is able to change the status of complaints. ..."

3. My personal issues (not been sent a Contract) and my Complaint being handled very badly were slight compared to the hundreds of thousands of Customers who had late and inaccurate bills.

4. I hope all Energy Supply companies learn from this. I hope that no company ever contemplate continuing to use an inadequate Billing or Complaints system.

5. I hope Ofgem can respond more rapidly when similar issues arise: prevention is MUCH better than the cure.

How do npower compare with other Energy Supply companies in recent months?
    See:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-citizens-advice-works/citizens-advice-consumer-work/supplier-performance/energy-supplier-performance/how-does-your-energy-provider-stack-up/
    where Energy Supplier performance is tracked by Citizens Advice.

End Edit 19-Dec-2015

25.6_Pre-contract_oblig
  • seeroo
    seeroo Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I switched to Npower last year for a 12 month contract. During the contract I had no problems, the website was easy to use and customer service was good. However recently they have been rubbish.

I have had quite a few problems with the website where I haven't been able to access my bills. Also when my contract ended I worked out that it would be cheapest to stay with them on their go save tariff. I rang them about this and they sad they would have to ring me back which they didn't do until over a month later. When I was on the phone the advisor told me that my direct debit on my current usage would increase from £43 per month to £58 per month. I asked how that was possible given that part of my existing direct debit was to repay an old balance. He gave me some spiel about prices going up etc etc then said that I could stay on my current direct debit as long as I agreed to pay back any shortfall in full. I said I would be perfectly happy with this.

I then received my bill which calculated my new direct debit at £36 per month (using the same computer system). They were obviously trying to get me to increase my payment so that they can have the money in advance. They also calculated my entire bill from June to December on the new tariff when I switched in November. I couldn't even get out of my tariff until November so I don't know why they switched me then (my old tariff was cheaper).

I complained three times before I received a response. I received a phone call and the advisor told me that she would sort out a new bill that day. Over a month later I received an email saying that they were just issuing me with a revised bill.

I am still waiting for a response and a revised bill. It seems as if their customer services are overloaded!
  • Atidi
    Atidi Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    I've used nPower in the past but they were the original supplier so can't really say what switching to them is like.

Not really had any significant issues, except once when they got a bit shirty about wanting to read the leccy meter (It's inside the property and so someone needed to be home to allow access).
    I called them and after waiting a long time on hold, the help I got wasn't particularly helpful. (I think the guy was trying to go home at the end of his shift or something) The response was basically I needed to be home on such and such a date as that is when the meter reader would be calling ... and if I wasn't in to allow access they would apply to a magistrates court to break in.
    So I wrote to them. Got a very apologetic letter (and the promise of a small goodwill gesture) and a number to ring so that a 2 hour time slot could be mutually agreed.
    Actually when I then called them on that number, they said if I could supply them an actual meter reading myself (as none had been obtained or supplied for over 2 years) then that would keep them happy for another 2 years. So that's all that was needed in the end. :)
  • undaunted
    undaunted Posts: 1,870 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2013 at 5:45PM
    Options
    Far from the Carlsberg of energy suppliers .......... probably the worst energy supplier customer service in the world?

http://www.which.co.uk/switch/energy-suppliers/energy-companies-rated

http://energyapps.consumerfocus.org.uk/performance/
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I havent had any issues touch wood, I dont have the need to contact them either. there is x2 customers wont pay who raise complaints for the sake of it or those that pay and have issues but get resolved.

Like most companys, you always here the bad but never the good
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • teflon
    teflon Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I signed up with nPower online back in October. It's taken over four months (and having to register a complaint) to get a contract out of them, and despite a rather large saving on the next cheapest supplier, I've decided I can't be bothered dealing with them if they're going to be this incompetent. I'm currently on hold (20 minutes so far) to cancel the switch and go with EbiCo instead. Sod the cashback, my time's worth more than that.
  • Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I had no problem when I was with them, but they were a nightmare to leave.
    They would not except my final reading, sent me an estimated final reading then threatened me with action when I refused to pay it.

It took over a year to solve. I was constantly lied to by senior staff, who often passed the bucket to someone else.

Because of their actions I had to pay my new supplier for over 12 months without a bill. I had no idea if I was in credit or owed them hundreds of pounds.

I would not go back to them, even if they were the cheapest on the market. Once bitten twice shy.

Ps - I left them because they changed my dd from £37 to £98 even though I was in credit.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Own_My_Own wrote: »
    I had no problem when I was with them, but they were a nightmare to leave.
    They would not except my final reading, sent me an estimated final reading then threatened me with action when I refused to pay it.

It took over a year to solve. I was constantly lied to by senior staff, who often passed the bucket to someone else.

Because of their actions I had to pay my new supplier for over 12 months without a bill. I had no idea if I was in credit or owed them hundreds of pounds.

I would not go back to them, even if they were the cheapest on the market. Once bitten twice shy.

Ps - I left them because they changed my dd from £37 to £98 even though I was in credit.

You do know your current supplier provides the reading for transfer?
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Bradfield
    Bradfield Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    I have been with them a few years. It was ok at first but then problems began. They have changed the name of the account holder (me) on two occasions, to someone I have never heard of. When I ring and tell them it is almost like it is my fault.

They did not send me a statement in December. I rang them over a month ago and they promised to email it to me. It has not come yet despite another telephone call last week. They can quote me the statement over the phone but they cant be bothered to send me the email. When I asked them to increase the direct debit they were able to email me and confirm this within a couple of days. I think it is a requirement that they have to do this when they increase the DD. So they can move themselves if they choose.

I now find that the online account information is accessible only in parts. Not good at all.

When I ring up I always find the customer services people very obliging and trying to help but they are hog-tied by NPowers procedures. Instead of having the authority to actually do things and deal with customers problems they have to refer everything to "the back office". The back office is like a "black hole."

The whole administrative procedure of NPower needs a thorough restructuring "root and branch".
  • Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    chanz4 wrote: »
    You do know your current supplier provides the reading for transfer?

N Power would not except it. The estimated final bill they wanted me to pay was £80 more than I owed them. They just kept saying the reading was wrong, because there was such a difference. They would not let me go over until I paid this bill.

N Power finally excepted they were wrong. It was not the fault of my current supplier. They could do nothing why N Power disputed my bill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure