boots opticians. does anyone know the cheapest pair of glasses would cost?

i have booked an eye appointment online for next tues. i haven't had my eyes tested for the last couple years (i know i know, i have neglected my eyes and kept putting off booking an eye test).

i am curious whether any of you know if i could get a pair of glasses for cheap. i do wear contact lenses majority of the time, so don't want to spend a fortune on a pair of glasses.

i can't spend too much money as i don't have too much to spend anyway. my last pair were £49, and that was because i was on the contact lense plan. not sure if they still do the deal though.

Comments

• Specsavers are the cheapest on the high street. My last pair from there were £45 and I got another pair free.
  • fitnessguy1
    fitnessguy1 Posts: 551 Forumite
    yeah was wondering whether to go to specsavers. i have been a customer at boots for years, and have been happy with them. are specsavers good for contact lenses too?
  • jazzy
    jazzy Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Boots carried out a very thorough eye test with me, much better than Specsavers. The only disappointment was the price of the new glasses, which they only disclosed at the very end of the examination after choosing the glasses and being measured up, very sneaky!

There's nothing stopping you having the eye examination with Boots too get the eye prescription and then go shopping around, or alternatively just have new lenses fitted into your current frames.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Or, once you have an up to date prescription, order glasses online. Any number of perfectly reputable companies to choose from.

You will also need to know the distance between your pupils which the optician is not obliged to tell you on the prescription.

However, if you have an old pair, you can send them to the online firm and they can measure the distance.

Another possibility is to find a fairly local spectacle manufacturer, many of whom will deal direct. Pretty much all high street opticians put their work out to these type of companies then put a hefty mark up on what they are charged! Try Google or Yellow pages for your area.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2017 at 7:11PM
    You should be able to get a pair for £25 (including standard lenses - no coatings) from Boots or Specsavers. There certainly are major chain type places that do them this cheaply. The frames available should be displayed in price brackets and you just look for the cheapest range.

As a glasses wearer myself I've given up on varifocals and have ended up having 3 pairs of glasses (ordinary - ie long distance and a reading pair and a computer pair). That works okay for me. I buy whatever ones I choose and disregard price for the Main Pair (ie the long distance ones I normally wear) - but I'm pretty much the only person that sees my reading or computer ones and so I just choose a £25 pair (without any coatings) for those 2 pairs of glasses.

edit; Just checked their websites. Boots cheapest ones currently seem to be £35. Specsavers cheapest are £25.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Have you read the guide on the main site? http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/cheap-glasses
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Hi. Me and my OH had eye tests with Boots the other week and we both had to ask for our prescriptions rather than giving them to us as a matter of course. I had to pipe up and ask for them before we left He bought glasses and I didn't because mine are expensive and I need to think about it more and decide how I am going to pay for them! So make sure you get your prescription if they do the same to you and don't be ushered into buying if you are not ready to yet.

BTW if you just want a cheap pair, I have got my last pairs from Asda. I am trying to decide whether to carry on with them because on my last prescription I needed varifocals and I am not convinced they have been fitted very well (and the Boots optician said they had the varifocal bit in the wrong place). On the other hand if I do go there I will save several hundred pounds because they include things like varifocals and thin lenses in their price if your prescription warrants it.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    jazzy wrote: »
    The only disappointment was the price of the new glasses, which they only disclosed at the very end of the examination after choosing the glasses and being measured up, very sneaky!

To be fair it's impossible to predict the total price until you have chosen the frames and lenses you require.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You do not have to buy your glasses at the same place you have the test.

As Asda are not enabled to do retinopathy screening, I have my tests at Specsavers, but buy glasses from the former. Four pairs with all thin lenses with antiglare coating for the price of two pairs from Specsavers with antiglare coating but only one thin lens in each frame. Asda include thinner lenses free, if your prescription indicates you need them, but Specsavers charge a lot for all their extras.
  • jazzy
    jazzy Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    pmduk wrote: »
    To be fair it's impossible to predict the total price until you have chosen the frames and lenses you require.
    The other opticians that I had visited in the past always quoted a final price when I had selected the frames.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure