7 years remaining, lets do it in 5!

Today is the day that I have put the wheels in motion for the mortgage portion of my 5 year plan.

I'm active over on the DFW section and have my plan laid out over there so wont bore you with the details. Essentially, I wanted to be completely debt free by the end of 2022, but this may spill over to October 2023 depending on which path I choose......

My current mortgage stats look like this:

Outstanding balance: £63,466.64
Repayment method: Repayment £800.29/month
Remaining term: 7 years 5 months
Interest rate: 3.14%
Product end date: 03/10/2018

This is the current end date for the 5 year fix that I took out in Sept 2013.

My friend's partner is a mortgage advisor and has today taken my details to see what's available to lock in for 6 months, given that rates are expected to rise in May.

So the most probable plan as I see it:
Come October I will have 7 years remaining on existing mortgage.
Re-mortgage <£60,000 over 7 years on another 5 year fixed rate.
Overpay the maximum allowed per annum
Save enough to clear the mortgage at the end of the 5 years

However, I do have one potential matter which may affect this plan. I have been told that in around 2 years time I will be receiving a lump sum from a property that my Mother will be selling. This could potentially bring my end date forward by 2 years, so I was pondering whether to go for a 5 year or a 3 year fix. I have always thought it's better to plan with what you have and not what you might have though.

I have some unsecured debts which I'm tackling just now, but I'll be in a position to make regular overpayments by mid-to-late next year.

I'll have a better idea of where things are heading by tomorrow, so for now I just wanted to establish a thread and say hi!

Cheers :)
You can have results or excuses, but not both.
Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    What!!!8217;s the interest rate on your other debts?
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Car HP 6.9%
    Loan 3.1%
    C.Card 0%

Currently overpaying car but its currently for sale in favour of a cheaper alternative. Once the re-mortgage is arranged it should slot in just above the credit card in order of priority.

Credit card minimum payment is set so that it will be paid off by end of 0% period

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,805
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Happy shiny new diary.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • sitesafe
    sitesafe Posts: 544
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Good luck will watch with interest. Similar plan and situation to yours - I've 7 years left and 3 yrs 3 months left of a 5 year fix. Plan to do the same - overpay the 10% each year and save for what will be the remaining balance where I'll then decide whether to pay it off
  • fatrab
    Spoke with mortgage advisor today and we're in agreement that a 5 year fixed rate and 7 year term is the way forward.

I can still over-pay 10% and offset some of the interest in savings if/when I receive anything from my Mother. So my 5 year plan has taken a little set-back but it looks like I'm going to be mortgage free well before my 50th birthday, so I'm happy with that.

• Happy new diary! Mortgage free before 50 sounds brilliant! I have a similar aim so wish you all the best!

Rocket
    MFW - diary has finally arrived!
  • fatrab
    Heard back from mortgage advisor, best deal as she sees it with a 6 month lock-in available is 2.09% with N/wide. It's a 5 year fixed rate on a 7 year mortgage and my payments will be £769.

I'm thinking with the uncertainty surrounding the imminent rate rises that it sounds like a good deal. Having checked other rates it looks competitive. There are cheaper mortgages out there but not with the 6 month lock-in available over a 5 year term. Santander won't discuss any retention deals until 4 months prior to end date.

Details are on their way to me as we speak so I'll need to get the forms sent back with the relevant paperwork asap in order to secure that rate.

Does anyone agree or disagree with the above? Any comments would be very welcomed, thanks

• Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Its all very personal to you and your needs, but if that's what gives you security and peace of mind its a winner, :D
    I wanted a 5 year fix last time but couldn't face changing the application at the time. We've since sold so it doesn't matter... however when we are eventually in new place I will look again in 2019.. if that was the best 5 year deal I would go for it .
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • fatrab
    Thanks, I think I'll take that rate. It's going to give me certainty going forwards to plan my debt freedom.

:)

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I think if you want a) the security of a five year fix and b) you want to reserve it now rather than wait a few months then that is probably a good deal. The only think that might dissuade me would be a large booking fee but I'm guessing all the alternatives would have one anyway. The alternative would be to look for an offset mortgage - you could then put any payment from your mum in there and be totally offset earlier.

If your rate is so low, once you have paid your car off, you would be better off opening a number of interest paying bank accounts, e.g. NWide have one paying 5% on 2.5k, FD have a £300 a month regular saver. Leave the money in NWide and count it as unofficially offset against your mortgage and pay the regular saver off the mortgage when it matures, then start another. When interest rates are so low you need to make all your little green soldiers work hard for you :) (that's an American phrase as their $1 bills are green but saying 'make those little yellow coins work for you' doesn't sound as good :D).
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure