PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a houseboat

Comments

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 March 2017 at 12:46PM
    This could be fine, PROVIDING you are paying boat prices for the boat and not house prices.

A boat has a certain value, but stick it on a residential mooring and people start comparing it with a house. Sure, you can live there. The big problem is that you can get kicked off the mooring, and then all you have is the boat.

Even in the meantime, you have to pay to rent the mooring and any other fees the marina feels like imposing. Until they decide to fill it all in and build houses on the site.

You're probably okay if you are buying the boat cheaply enough, and not as in boliston's post above.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    NeilCr wrote: »
    On the coast!

Not sure I fancy travelling on it anyway, to be honest
    So it's not a narrowboat?

There are vast differences both in the boat type, and the sorts of considerations to take into account between a (liveaboard) narrowboat and a (liveaboard) coastal yacht!

The websites I linked earlier are applicable to narrowboats on the canals (hence my attempts to drag blood from a stone). There are other sources of information more appropriate to yachts/cruisers.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry G_M. Not trying to be difficult. As I said I am new to this

It's a narrowboat on a residential mooring on a marina on the coast

The boat is brand new.

I appreciate the comments about costs but, financially, it wouldn't be a problem for me. I am on my own with no children or family to take into account. My partner is independent

The marina, itself, will not be filled in for housing - that's for sure!
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Sorry G_M. Not trying to be difficult. As I said I am new to this

It's a narrowboat on a residential mooring on a marina on the coast

The boat is brand new.

I appreciate the comments about costs but, financially, it wouldn't be a problem for me. I am on my own with no children or family to take into account. My partner is independent

The marina, itself, will not be filled in for housing - that's for sure!
    That's a very odd situation. A narrowboat is generally not a sea going vessel (though some do take the risk and do short coastal passages e.g along the Bristol channel for instance) Is it a marina on the end of a river or canal so you have some inland cruisng available if you so wish?

Buying a NEW narrowboat only guarantees it's value is going to go down. they don't last forever and will need repairs and maintenance, and as they get older their value drops. Buying a good old one, will likely give you less depreciation.

What are the toilet arrangements? Porta potti (self emptyiong) proper lo with a holding tank (have to pay for a pump out) or nothing, and a march to the marina shore facilities? All things to consider on a boat.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Does the marina connect to the canal network?
    If not, then as said, that is a very unusual situation and its really just a house substitute but resale might be problematic and I'd prefer to live in a nearby flat if you like the buzz of this place, which would appreciate in value unlike a boat.
  • NeilCr
    Here you go then

https://www.premierhouseboats.co.uk/fh33

Flats on the marina are out of my price range. Money isn't a big worry and I am very unlikely to want to go travelling on it
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 March 2017 at 7:45PM
    So the boat is in Ramsgate?

Marina details http://www.portoframsgate.co.uk/royal-harbour-marina/201718-fees-and-charges/

Likely to cost you £6000 p.a. to berth that there, plus electricity etc. No mention of any residential moorings in that marina?
  • NeilCr
    ProDave wrote: »
    So the boat is ion Ramsgate?

Marina details http://www.portoframsgate.co.uk/royal-harbour-marina/201718-fees-and-charges/

Likely to cost you £6000 p.a. to berth that there, plus electricity etc. No mention of any residential moorings in that marina?

Yep

I know the cost. Have an email in to the harbourmaster to find out more details about how it works/residential moorings etc
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Here you go then

https://www.premierhouseboats.co.uk/fh33

Flats on the marina are out of my price range. Money isn't a big worry and I am very unlikely to want to go travelling on it

Well practically speaking you couldn't go travelling on it anyway.

Personally Id rather live on land as I'd be getting all the disadvantages of a boat (needs much more maintenance, depreciates, difficult to sell, tied to the harbor fees so if they put them up what will you do*) with few of the benefits, eg cant just up anchor and drive away for a change of scenery.

I think you'll have to work out what your financial position will be in say 10-15 years time, assume you can get say £100k for this boat which cost £150k (whereas a flat bought for £150k might easily be £200k in 10-15 years) , add in say 10% increase in mooring fees every year and see how that works with what you perceive the benefits of living in that location would be and what you could do in 10-15 years time.

Also, how secure are you? Suppose you are given a years notice to move because they are going upmarket and bringing in superyachts?

Maybe you'd have a great 10-15 years and then move to a much cheaper flat ina cheaper area and regard it as worthwhilel

Of course, you might also look elsewhere. This is the SE , by the sea, obviously expensive. have you looked elsewhere in the country where there might be a similar vibe but much cheaper?

* the friend i referred to was moored in a marina when a new manager came in. Cost went up, facilities down, so he drove off to a different marina! You wouldn't really be able to do that.
  • NeilCr
    Thanks AnotherJoe

Just the sort of feedback I was looking for

I am financially secure enough to take that sort of hit. I'd have to research how Ramsgate marina works but I've lived down here for nearly 10 years and have heard little (if no) adverse comment. I take the point re being kicked off but that's a conversation to have with the harbourmaster and a judgement call on my behalf

Elsewhere isn't an alternative. My partner lives here - a lot of my friends live here - and I love it in Ramsgate

And it could be a lot of fun for some of my later years!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure