Credit card and rating?

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    MHOWARD wrote: »
    Thank you very much for the explanation, that makes a lot more sense to me now. As my balance is basically my limit now, would you advise paying it off so I can spend on it this month? Or wait for my statement to be produced near the end of the month?
    Many Thanks

Now you have a better understanding of how it works on a rolling basis. I would prob pay it off in full now* - start afresh with a good routine in place.

*depending when your statement is due
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Dobbibill wrote: »
    Now you have a better understanding of how it works on a rolling basis. I would prob pay it off in full now* - start afresh with a good routine in place.

*depending when your statement is due

My statement is due around the 23rd with payment to be made by 7th of the following month.
  • austonic
    austonic Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    MHOWARD wrote: »
    I signed up for Equifax and it's not ...
    I trust you signed up for the free service and not a paid subscription? Resist all attempts they make to encourage you to take up a paid subscription or apply through them for credit.

As you are in a position to pay the full balance off each month, it would be worth your while looking at credit cards that give you benefits. There is lots of advice on the forum about the best offers. It can be anything from cash backs, air miles, nectar points, additional accidental insurance on purchases, etc.
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but ignorance is lethal.
  • I trust you signed up for the free service and not a paid subscription? Resist all attempts they make to encourage you to take up a paid subscription or apply through them for credit.

As you are in a position to pay the full balance off each month, it would be worth your while looking at credit cards that give you benefits. There is lots of advice on the forum about the best offers. It can be anything from cash backs, air miles, nectar points, additional accidental insurance on purchases, etc.

I can definitely pay off any balance each month. The problem is getting the credit card in the first place. I did use the free trial of Equifax but cancelled that before I had to pay anything. Did try to sign up for exoerian but that was a nightmare in itself.
  • Dobbibill
    Yes, pay off now and start afresh ;)

Set up a DD for future months to ensure you don't miss a payment date. Plenty of horror stories of it being missed by a day. Check with the company it's set up in time for the next statement.

To access the CRAs, you can access your Equifax report via Clearscore and Call Credit report via Noddle, both are completely free. That only leaves Experian then, which can be done on a free trial or statutory report for £2 occasionally.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• MHOWARD_2
    MHOWARD_2 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    Yes, pay off now and start afresh ;)

Set up a DD for future months to ensure you don't miss a payment date. Plenty of horror stories of it being missed by a day. Check with the company it's set up in time for the next statement.

To access the CRAs, you can access your Equifax report

Balance paid off. I will spend a bit on it and then wait until the bill, and rinse and repeat. Failing that I could send the flaming thing to you and you can sort it out for me. Just send it back when you have built up my credit, many thanks :rotfl:
  • Dobbibill
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

• MSE_Chris
    MSE_Chris Posts: 200 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    To access the CRAs, you can access your Equifax report via Clearscore and Call Credit report via Noddle, both are completely free. That only leaves Experian then, which can be done on a free trial or statutory report for £2 occasionally.

I can't help but recommend MSE's own Credit Club here - We will soon be allowing users to access their full credit report for free so you'll no longer need to pay for a Statutory Report (£2)!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
  • MHOWARD_2
    MHOWARD_2 Posts: 58 Forumite
    MSE_Chris wrote: »
    I can't help but recommend MSE's own Credit Club here - We will soon be allowing users to access their full credit report for free so you'll no longer need to pay for a Statutory Report (£2)!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub

Reported as spam :money:
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    MSE_Chris wrote: »

No, soon was 4 months ago. It might have moved on to almost imminent by now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure