£1 HDMI cables at Poundland

Comments

• jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    googler wrote: »
    Would you rather buy 13 Ladas, or one Rolls-Royce, when you can only drive one? I'd have the Rolls-Royce.

The Dixons one is more likely to be a Trabant with a Rolls Royce grille to make it look expensive.
  • manric
    manric Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tried at local Poundland store in Reading Broad street but could not get one. Looks like they do not sell here ! :-(
  • I bought one in Norwich for my son. Asked hubby if he needed any and he said he needed a longer one. Picked up a 5m Belkin one with gold connectors in the local 99p shop :-)
  • Mr_Thrifty
    Mr_Thrifty Posts: 756 Forumite
    Big deal. They're only 99p on eBay. And that's for one that has gold-plated connectors.
  • tedzzz
    tedzzz Posts: 5 Forumite
    Contrary to all these reports, it DOES matter what HDMI cable you buy. I bought a cheap one off Ebay for a Philips Bluray player. It kept cutting out whenever the central heating switched on/off which was quite annoying.
    I thought it was a problem with the Bluray player and sent it back to get checked. They found nothing wrong.
    The problem kept on recurring.
    I then bought a Philips HDMI cable (from Amazon), and the problem has never ever happened again.
    I can only assume, the shielding is much better on quality cables than the cheaper brands.
  • iviv
    iviv Posts: 572 Forumite
    tedzzz wrote: »
    I can only assume, the shielding is much better on quality cables than the cheaper brands.

Contrary to what you say, HDMI cables require no shielding. To quote Steve Venuti, the director of licensing for HDMI Licensing LLC:
    In the world of digital cables, there's no need for shielding since there is no possibility of interference within a cable.
  • I managed to get a decent HDMI cable in the 99p Store in Luton (three or four weeks ago now) - 1.5m long and Pure-AV branded. Decent cable with ethernet and 3D capability. I'd had a cheap one previously, but it kept cutting out randomly for a second at a time - generally going for a bargain one seems wise, but getting a bragin price for a decent one is even better!
  • sekrapa
    sekrapa Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Our local Poundland sells items for 95p. Ever since a 99p store opened opposite, they lost trade so reduced all items to 95p. 95pland doesn't have the same ring to it.
  • I worked in the Poundshop in Middlesbrough and was in charge of the Entertainment section where these are located. They are definitely a hot seller but the problem came when ordering them. They come in a box of 48 items - 12 scart leads, 12 scart extensions, 12 audio cables and 12 HDMI cables.
    Usually the HDMI cables sell out in a couple of days which leaves the store with 36 other cables. Until the other cables sell significantly there is no point in ordering a new box as the store would be left with boxes and boxes of scarts etc as you're just ordering for the HDMI cables. If the company could get hold of the HDMI cables in their own box im sure that every store would stock them.
    Chances are if you go into a store that doesn't have them but has scarts leads then they've sold out and will probably get them back in, in a couple of days or weeks.
    Hope this helps :)
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    iviv wrote: »
    Contrary to what you say, HDMI cables require no shielding. To quote Steve Venuti, the director of licensing for HDMI Licensing LLC:

If digital cables require no shielding, why is a wired S/PDIF interface made through a Co-axial cable, with a centre conductor and braided shielding?

Why would the diagram of an HDMI cable show a 'braid' around the outer edge of the cable?

Because they require shielding, perhaps?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure